SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-12, 06:00 PM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default help with the AOBF and karamozovnew's tutorial explanation

I do not play SH3. I play ATO (SH4.) I am posting here in both forums, as both versions use the AOBF. If you have read karamozovnew's tutorial, which does not have page numbering, you can refer to it to see where I am having a problem. It is in Adobe format, so I could not copy the relevant portions.

I am famailiar with the AOBF, and use it always. I have read the tutorial by kazarmozovnew, and amvery familiar with it. In the tutorial example, he determines the Aob of a German Battleship. Because the periscope is set to 6x zoom, the Aob for the Battleship, per the example, is 52 degrees (i.e. you multiply the reticules for the battleship's length (13) by 4.) The AOBF calibrates to 50 degrees which is astride the verticle line on the top of the wheel, and he determines the 52 degrees mark on the 'wheel' via logarithims (his tutorial says that the scale is "logarithmic.") He provides no other explanation or examples. I do not understand the concept and how it fits into the using the wheel.

I just had an encounter with a target moving away from my boat, where the wheel readings where far in excess of the reading on the vertical line on wheel, and frankly, I lacked the expertise to calculate the Aob. Is there an explanation somewhere? I am not sure where to look. Someone who is familiar with the wheel and with karamozovnew's tutorial would be the person who might be able to give me a thorough response.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote