SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-12, 02:42 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Scapa Flow in OM?

Is the Royal Oak at Scapa Flow at the right time and date in 39? Thinking of playing an early war career and would like to try and pull it off.Thanks for the reply.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 08:47 PM   #2
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default toss the dice

Since OM is designed by lurker, I, a betting man but not much of sailor, surmise that it is.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 10:34 PM   #3
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

could be,
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=336

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 10:35 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

A quick look at the SH4 Mission Editor tells me that Royal Oak is indeed there from October 4 through October 12, 1939. In 1940 there is a generic Revenge class, and a generic KGV is there at another time, as well as at least one aircraft carrier.
Old 03-22-12, 10:58 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
A quick look at the SH4 Mission Editor tells me that Royal Oak is indeed there from October 4 through October 12, 1939. In 1940 there is a generic Revenge class, and a generic KGV is there at another time, as well as at least one aircraft carrier.

I did not want to look at the ME as I wanted to find it myself, not see where it is located etc.Figured I would ask first just to confirm it is there as per history.
Old 03-23-12, 12:31 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Sorry, my bad. Yes, it's there.

On the other hand, Prien knew it was there and pretty much right where she was, since Doenitz planned the mission himself using aerial photographs.
Old 03-23-12, 02:28 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. Yes, it's there.

On the other hand, Prien knew it was there and pretty much right where she was, since Doenitz planned the mission himself using aerial photographs.

True, I have been reading up on the raid, rather audacious attack actually, did not know two u boats had tried the same in WW I and were lost.One thing I can't get decipher for sure so far, was he submerged or on surface or both? Some reports I have read contradict others.

I returned back from first patrol in U-49 and although I returned by September 29, 1939 it did not have me leaving for patrol again until October 23rd I believe it was, afraid the Royal Oak may not be there, I scrapped that career and started another.I was assigned U-47 this time, going to return to port in time so can make it to Scapa Flow in time.
Old 03-23-12, 02:37 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

This account contains extracts from Prien's own logbook, so it's probably the best.
http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/TheSin...ishBattle.html
Old 03-23-12, 10:26 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
This account contains extracts from Prien's own logbook, so it's probably the best.
http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/TheSin...ishBattle.html

Thanks.wow so he made it in and attacked surfaced.Pretty brash, reminds me of Fluckey's attack on Namkwan Harbor, China in 1945.
Old 03-24-12, 07:12 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quite annoying, kept getting CTD's as i entered the harbor and when torpedos hit.After 5 save and reloads, sank the ship without CTD, now it keeps CTD as I am trying to exit Scapa Flow.
Old 04-02-12, 02:39 PM   #11
gianluca62
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

Did you exit from Scapa Flow?
gianluca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 03:11 PM   #12
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

He was a brilliant U Boat Kaptian, and he did indeed go in on the surface...gave the best balance of risk and resource as the speed submerged was too dangerous.....

the loss of the boats in WWI was due to the much greater presence of the RN in that war at Scapa, hundreds of ships and extensive torpedo nets and guard ships as it was the home harbour for the Grand Fleet and discipline and resources were much greater for the RN in WWI over WWII. Sorry about your CTDs....maybe you are missing a few of the resources that the mod makes calls for sometimes a large mod file can get corrupted and if you replaced the mod files you might solve that problem. Congrats on the sinking.
Old 04-02-12, 05:50 PM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianluca62 View Post
Did you exit from Scapa Flow?

I did.I sank the Royal Oak with three torpedoes(one dud, even though set on magnetic) and avoided a fast moving PT boat that moved into the area after the fireworks went off.I traveled the historic route, on the surface, between the block ships and the shore(even though in OM could have went between the block ships) and I actually did run aground briefly as Prien did.Was rather intense being on the surface.Luckily some fog set in although moon was out.
Old 04-02-12, 05:55 PM   #14
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
He was a brilliant U Boat Kaptian, and he did indeed go in on the surface...gave the best balance of risk and resource as the speed submerged was too dangerous.....

the loss of the boats in WWI was due to the much greater presence of the RN in that war at Scapa, hundreds of ships and extensive torpedo nets and guard ships as it was the home harbour for the Grand Fleet and discipline and resources were much greater for the RN in WWI over WWII. Sorry about your CTDs....maybe you are missing a few of the resources that the mod makes calls for sometimes a large mod file can get corrupted and if you replaced the mod files you might solve that problem. Congrats on the sinking.
Resources do you mean my PC? its new and runs other large mods such as TMO and RSRD perfectly.I think it's more OM has some bugs that were never ironed out, has to do with imported ships and planes from SH 3 I believe.I can get near large convoys and attack no problem but sometimes, one causes a CTD soon as they start to get into visual or just before, I believe its if a certain ship or ships are in the convoy(I would love to record which ones but can never get the chance to ID before CTD) B-24's cause a CTD also if I look at them, usually just after they drop bombs.I may do a clean install of OM and see if thats the problem but doubt it.

The SH 4 ships that are in OM like the hog island freighter that have 3D damage models, they are fine but since majority of ships are SH 3 converts and so many, causes issues.Oh well, it runs fine for most part.Wish Lurker had not gave up on modding.OM is an outstanding mod, just needs to touch ups.
Old 04-15-12, 05:29 AM   #15
JOHNDQ
Watch

Downloads: 9

Is anyone planning to make the Royal Oak playable? Once you have all had enough of sinking here
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote