SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-19, 02:30 AM   #1
PoutyBatFace Studios
Sub Buddy Devs

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Buddy - the World's First Attack Disc & TADS Computer on iOS & Android

PoutyBatFace Studios proudly presents, your very own...

Sub Buddy!

If you play WW2 Submarine games, or you have an interest in historical mathematical devices, or even want to become a wiz at 'whizz wheels' then Sub Buddy is for you.

With both the most historically accurate digital German U-boat Attack Disc, our unique TADS Computer disc and the brand new 'Visual AoB Helper' tool, you can perform a huge amount of complex calculations incredibly quickly and far faster than with a calculator or a spreadsheet, whether you play US Navy, German U-boats or any other submarine game.

If you always wanted to learn how the 'Attack Disc' worked, but always felt intimidated or confused, don't worry anymore!

Sub Buddy also contains 27 Tutorial Videos that not only explain the overall concepts behind the Attack Disc and the TADS Computer, but also break down virtually every type of calculation you could ever want to learn for your sub-sim gameplay. Within minutes you'll learn how to use these two discs to make intercepting convoys, planning approaches and fast and accurate torpedo solutions with or without the TDC!

Please check out our website for a demonstration video and samples from our Tutorial Video series.

poutybatface.com/subbuddy

And maybe check out our privacy policy too...it's not very long but we think it's important.

poutybatface.com/privacypolicy

App Requirements:

Sub Buddy fully supports all iOS Devices running iOS 12.0 or newer.

Sub Buddy on Android requires Nougat 7.0.0 or newer.

NOTE: SubSim and Onkel Neal have given us permission to post and cross post. Thank you Neal!
PoutyBatFace Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 07:14 AM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Can confirm! I helped them make the videos etc and I can attest to how much work went into this product. The makers did an outstanding job making the attack disc historically correct down to the last detail, and the TADS Computer slide rule is incredibly versatile and surprisingly quicker than using a calculator in many cases.

More goodies in there too, like the visual AOB helper and the retranslated wartime U-boat Commander’s Handbook!

I don’t share in the proceeds - labor of love for the subject matter!

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 09:05 AM   #3
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 60

I purchased it yesterday, and the tutorials worth the full price - very clear voice that people which have problems understanding spoken english can listen with the help of youtube's automatic transcriptor.

The tools are very well modeled and easy to use.

A small problem: when you use them from a phone, it's difficult that the disc you just touched stay on place when you release your finger from the screen - the snap to nearest degree doesn't seem working on Android - I miss it too in the TADS.
JuanLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 09:13 AM   #4
Convoi_PQ17
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Very nice!
Old 10-30-19, 09:18 AM   #5
PoutyBatFace Studios
Sub Buddy Devs

Thanks destosstrupp! It's great to see all the feedback on the videos in this and another thread, you have done a fantastic job at showcasing these discs.

JuanLiquid - yeah we couldn't add the snap to the TADS as the marks aren't on the degrees due to the logarithmic scales. It should work fine on the Attack Disc on Android though. PM me your phone model and Android OS details and I'll see if I can replicate in a simulator.
Old 10-30-19, 09:51 AM   #6
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 60

My bad: it works on Attack disc. I just noticed it snaps as soon as you release your finger. I was expecting it snaps while you were dragging, but this solution is also good.

For the TADS I'm touching the screen with a second finger before release the first one, in this way I avoid moving accidentally any disc while releasing my fingers after dragging
JuanLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 10:02 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

PoutyBatFace Studios!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 12:17 PM   #8
ceh
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Wonderful work!

May I suggest a zoomed in flyout while dragging the discs?
https://prnt.sc/pq9bke
Old 10-30-19, 12:38 PM   #9
Lost At Sea
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94

Purchased yesterday, absolutely fantastic
Great on my iPad !

Cheers,
Lost
Lost At Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 04:12 PM   #10
PoutyBatFace Studios
Sub Buddy Devs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh View Post
Wonderful work!

May I suggest a zoomed in flyout while dragging the discs?
https://prnt.sc/pq9bke

Thanks for the feedback! Just want to check, as we've had feedback that the 2-finger pan/zoom isn't clear how to do on Android: Is the current ability to zoom in to the focus area not meeting the need to see clearly the finer detail?
Old 10-30-19, 06:21 PM   #11
ceh
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Ah, must've missed that piece of info. Tried now, works beautifully

I just purchased and dove into the application without reading much about it. TBH, I don't think I even finished reading the initial post. Absolutely my bad.

Old 11-04-19, 06:47 AM   #12
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoutyBatFace Studios View Post
PoutyBatFace Studios proudly presents, your very own...

Sub Buddy!

If you play WW2 Submarine games, or you have an interest in historical mathematical devices, or even want to become a wiz at 'whizz wheels' then Sub Buddy is for you.

With both the most historically accurate digital German U-boat Attack Disc, our unique TADS Computer disc and the brand new 'Visual AoB Helper' tool, you can perform a huge amount of complex calculations incredibly quickly and far faster than with a calculator or a spreadsheet, whether you play US Navy, German U-boats or any other submarine game.

If you always wanted to learn how the 'Attack Disc' worked, but always felt intimidated or confused, don't worry anymore!

Sub Buddy also contains 27 Tutorial Videos that not only explain the overall concepts behind the Attack Disc and the TADS Computer, but also break down virtually every type of calculation you could ever want to learn for your sub-sim gameplay. Within minutes you'll learn how to use these two discs to make intercepting convoys, planning approaches and fast and accurate torpedo solutions with or without the TDC!

Please check out our website for a demonstration video and samples from our Tutorial Video series.

poutybatface.com/subbuddy

And maybe check out our privacy policy too...it's not very long but we think it's important.

poutybatface.com/privacypolicy

App Requirements:

Sub Buddy fully supports all iOS Devices running iOS 12.0 or newer.

Sub Buddy on Android requires Nougat 7.0.0 or newer.

NOTE: SubSim and Onkel Neal have given us permission to post and cross post. Thank you Neal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoutyBatFace Studios View Post
... our unique TADS Computer disc ...
"Your" "unique" tool is nothing more but an identical (100%) remake of "Manos Bearing Computer" (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=235423)

How can you say that this is the "unique" when i firstly created and released, for free, the "Manos Bearing Computer" in 2017 ?

A remake yes but an unique...no! you should have mentioned this at your credits instead of renaming it.

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 05:18 PM   #13
PoutyBatFace Studios
Sub Buddy Devs

The Sub Buddy TADS Computer is unique as it’s the first time, angle, distance and speed disc on mobile devices - and as such doesn’t require the use of any specific PC game or any 3rd party mod. It's also unique amongst other similar discs because it has a second pointer that is used for fast underwater nav plot calculations. The TADS training video 14 shows how that second pointer is used to calculate the turn radius for underwater dead-reckoning navigation, and video 15 also goes on to show the chord length calculation.

The TADS Computer was inspired by discs such as the US Navy “IS-WAS”, multiple circular slide rulers from Silent Hunter 3 mods, makman94's Manos Bearing Computer, and the CRP-5 and E6B flight computer slide rules which Sub Buddy's lead developer has a very long and intimate working knowledge of. As you’re of course aware, the rules, the order and the values are as such because of how the calculations need to work and to maximise accuracy. Whilst no one would ever claim any generic circular slide rule is a world’s first, we feel our TADS Computer is justified in that claim for the two reasons mentioned previously; we are most definitely unique amongst any other digital slide rule.

Thank you makman94 for your support in helping us understand slide rule formulas while Sub Buddy was in development. We have credited you in the in-app credits, as we said we would when you were in communication with us during its development. We also provide a link back to your SubSim profile page for people to check out your own contributions to the community.

Thank you also to Pisces for help with our advanced maths understanding, another person we happily credited in-app!

[Edited 8-Nov-2020 to state makman94's Manos Bearing Computer's full name. The original abbreviation to MBC was an oversight and we did not mean any disrespect. Our apologies to makman94 for this oversight, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.]

Last edited by PoutyBatFace Studios; 11-08-20 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 03:21 AM   #14
Convoi_PQ17
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Very nice!
Old 11-09-19, 04:36 PM   #15
hachiman
Planesman

Downloads: 33

Any chance you'll "Fix" it to work on older android devices?
I purchased it without reading you needed Nougat or above for it to work.
Never had to pay attention to that before. My bad, but can't see any reason why you've made it so.