Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-20, 12:35 PM   #1
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Nuke Trump vs Germany

re MrQuatro (and no, i like you - at least mostly - but i somehow fail to see why you seem to be intentionally blind(?) )

No one needs to be paid here or anywhere in the world to see certain shortcomings of Trump. This has nothing to do with being conservative, republican or democrat, it is the man himself.

Truth matters, and it was never so relevant as it is now in this crisis. When it comes to solving real problems, the truth has a clear practical advantage: it works. An engineer who builds a bridge based on untrue facts will almost certainly create a structure that will collapse later. Truth is extremely useful.

"The opposite of truth is "bull...t", as the philosopher Harry Frankfurt called it. Bull...t in this sense means disregarding the truth. That distinguishes the bull....ter from the liar: after all, the liar has so much respect for the truth that he deliberately says the untruth, says Frankfurt. The bull...ter, on the other hand, simply does not care: he simply claims something - the main thing is that it benefits him at the moment."

It seems that the baad baad Europe (Trump) is suddenly not so bad when it comes to develop vaccines. Trump now wants to buy out Germany's CureVac company and the vaccine only and exclusively for use in the US.
Indeed this is nothing to laugh about, but dumb and brazen.

"America first" in the midst of the pandemic.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 12:47 PM   #2
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
re MrQuatro (and no, i like you - at least mostly - but i somehow fail to see why you seem to be intentionally blind(?) )

No one needs to be paid here or anywhere in the world to see certain shortcomings of Trump. This has nothing to do with being conservative, republican or democrat, it is the man himself.

Truth matters, and it was never so relevant as it is now in this crisis. When it comes to solving real problems, the truth has a clear practical advantage: it works. An engineer who builds a bridge based on untrue facts will almost certainly create a structure that will collapse later. Truth is extremely useful.

"The opposite of truth is "bull...t", as the philosopher Harry Frankfurt called it. Bull...t in this sense means disregarding the truth. That distinguishes the bull....ter from the liar: after all, the liar has so much respect for the truth that he deliberately says the untruth, says Frankfurt. The bull...ter, on the other hand, simply does not care: he simply claims something - the main thing is that it benefits him at the moment."

It seems that the baad baad Europe (Trump) is suddenly not so bad when it comes to develop vaccines. Trump now wants to buy out Germany's CureVac company and the vaccine only and exclusively for use in the US.
Indeed this is nothing to laugh about, but dumb and brazen.

"America first" in the midst of the pandemic.
Which would be pretty amusing (the "vaccine buyout" idea) because the only result is that the rest of the planet would give exactly zero f**k about any patent and would produce it for themselves while politely telling the lawyers to go explain their thought process to Xi Jinping. In person.

End result: he'd have paid a lot of cash for zero advantage and would have pushed the rest of the planet in Chinese hands. Oh, BTW, literal tons of medical supplies are coming from China to Italy right now, as well as doctors experienced with the virus.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 12:54 PM   #3
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra View Post
Heh, at least we're doing something instead of, you know, talking about it's just a simple flu and basically doing nothing to either prevent further contamination or even knowing about the scale of it.

Denying you have a cancer doesn't make you healthier than the bed-ridden guy with a flu. ;-)

I believe you believe that. But besides deflecting the argument to something other than your current situation and complaining about everyone else's measures. What exactly IS the E.U. a.k.a. the new COVID-19 epicenter doing? Hopefully you're not following Italy's example. Hopefully you're helping Greece secure its border with Turkey. What about those coming in from the South out of Africa? And of course the Schengen Agreement any thought about that yet, or is that still just a problem dreamed up by political boogymen? I mean if the E.U. is supposed to be so united why didn't the 'Union' contribute rather than allow the Union member Italy to screw up so badly? Seems to me its more like every man for themselves over there than a real Union. Most of Italy's tourists come from Germany, followed by France, the UK and US. Where did all the those tourists go? Who is fleeing Italy unannounced into France?

You need to wake up and face facts. You have the exact same problems we and everyone does. Its easy to see the reaction by governments to COVID-19 is pretty much same. The Pot calling the Kettle black.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 01:17 PM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Seems to me its more like every man for themselves over there than a real Union.
It's almost as if the EU was made out of a number of sovereign nations or something...
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 01:19 PM   #5
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I believe you believe that. But besides deflecting the argument to something other than your current situation and complaining about everyone else's measures. What exactly IS the E.U. a.k.a. the new COVID-19 epicenter doing? Hopefully you're not following Italy's example. Hopefully you're helping Greece secure its border with Turkey. What about those coming in from the South out of Africa? And of course the Schengen Agreement any thought about that yet, or is that still just a problem dreamed up by political boogymen? I mean if the E.U. is supposed to be so united why didn't the 'Union' contribute rather than allow the Union member Italy to screw up so badly? Seems to me its more like every man for themselves over there than a real Union. Most of Italy's tourists come from Germany, followed by France, the UK and US. Where did all the those tourists go? Who is fleeing Italy unannounced into France?

You need to wake up and face facts. You have the exact same problems we and everyone does. Its easy to see the reaction by governments to COVID-19 is pretty much same. The Pot calling the Kettle black.
You're pretty amusing if you're saying all the reactions are the same. There's pretty much one country standing out in having a completely chaotic reaction to the epidemic, with pretty much zero work done to track the virus' initial propagation or its actual presence on the territory, and that country isn't in Eurasia. Same for the lemming panic buying and km long queues in front of stores.

Denying the uniqueness of the US' reaction to this epidemic isn't going to improve the end result, no matter how much praying is done to the Dear Leader. As for your EU rant, yes, I get that you don't understand what the Union is and try to compare it to a single country, which it is not. Don't really understand why, though. Le Shrug.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 01:22 PM   #6
Catfish

Huh, i did not create this thread.. posted it in the Wuhan virus thread, did a moderator shift it ?
Well i'm ok with that though i would have chosen a less aggravating title

Old 03-15-20, 01:29 PM   #7
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

The U.K. is a sovereign nation, Canada is a sovereign nation, Mexico is a Sovereign nation, Russia is a sovereign nation. The European Union IMO isn't not sure what it wants to be. With regard to COVID-19 it has the exact same problems and will be hit just as hard as everyone else on this planet. But true to form comes the Euro riding in on their high horse pointing out how worse it is for everyone else.

Old 03-15-20, 01:36 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Huh, i did not create this thread.. posted it in the Wuhan virus thread, did a moderator shift it ?
Well i'm ok with that though i would have chosen a less aggravating title
Pick a title and I'll change it.
Old 03-15-20, 01:39 PM   #9
Catfish

^ Rockstar, nothing to do with the original post.

The UK is a [one] sovereign nation? Are Scotland, Wales, Ireland not sovereign nations? Well if not they may soon be.

The EU is still a trade organisation consisting of 27 sovereign states. Even within Germany there is no absolute power by chancellor Merkel since it is a federal system, where every county in the country of Germany has its own right of school system and requirements to study. This disadvantage is not one because it indirectly creates different advantages.. but i digress.
There is certainly a national interest which will beat individual wants in the time of a crisis.

Also the EU is not the "center of the infection". You can call out China here.

Old 03-15-20, 01:43 PM   #10
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Catfish: like or not according to our sources the E.U. is now considered the new COVID-19 epicenter.

Rufus: Actions speak louder than words.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, the widely-respected director the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield, appeared before the House Oversight Committee for a second day of questioning Thursday and backed President Trump's travel ban from much of Europe.

"'The real risk in general right now, and this is why the president took the action he did last night, within the world now over 70 percent of the new cases are linked to Europe,' Redfield said. 'Europe is the new China, and that's why the president made those statements.'"

ABC continued:

"California Democratic Rep. Jimmy Gomez raises Trump's various travel restrictions, asking if the European travel ban will have a significant impact on reducing the spread of community cases, Fauci said, 'A firm yes.'

Good luck to you guys over there hope your borders tighten up and your precious Union gets things under control. Hope to cya on the otherside of this pandemic

Old 03-15-20, 01:44 PM   #11
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Pick a title and I'll change it.
Germany is only a secondary theatre of war in his "war" against Europe. Not that i understand his motives. Keep the title, here it's to the point

Old 03-15-20, 01:48 PM   #12
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Wild accusations by unnamed sources and unidentified German government officials, gleefully promoted in this forum as fact by the usual anti-American crowd. The thread title should be Fake News.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 01:54 PM   #13
Catfish

@Rockstar of course it makes sense to stop flights from other areas of the world. I hope he also stopped flights from China, Australia, Japan and whatnot.
Regarding Fauci, he's more competent that Trump will ever be.

"Trump went so far as to say Fauci was doing a "tremendous job" and "working long, long hours" during a Rose Garden news conference Friday, just a day after the doctor admitted to members of Congress that the current set of protocols for physicians to request coronavirus tests for their patients "is a failing."

That's a clear contradiction with the President, who has insisted that "testing has been going very smooth."

The veteran doctor also hasn't been afraid to refute Trump to his face. The dynamic was on full display when Trump was asked last week about a timeline for a novel coronavirus vaccine during a White House meeting opened up to reporters."

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/4189589...us-truthteller

Old 03-15-20, 01:55 PM   #14
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Wild accusations by unnamed sources and unidentified German government officials, gleefully promoted in this forum as fact by the usual anti-American crowd. The thread title should be Fake News.
He states, after posting a link to an article that cites an unnamed US official.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 01:58 PM   #15
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
It was not me who wrote about Trump trying to buy out the german vaccine company and transfer it to the US, and then use it exclusively for the US, but Skybird. I was stunned, then began to search. Seems the report is true.
If this "wild acusation" is wrong i will gladly apologize.