Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-07, 09:09 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default SHCE - Rig for Red?

Does anyone remember whether rigging for red has any impact on the game behavior or what it just graphic eye candy?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-07, 09:32 PM   #2
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

99% sure it's just eye candy. Isn't SHCE a great sim?

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 09:35 PM   #3
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

For sure. I got tired of SC/DW and have been playing the classics (AOD & SHCE) for the last few days.
Old 12-29-07, 09:44 PM   #4
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Trying to slip into Truk Lagoon for photo recon at the moment.

Old 12-30-07, 08:58 PM   #5
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Here's a little trick for sneaking into Truk:

Go in surfaced using the channel to the South of the big island, getting in as close to the harbor before sunrise. Time your approach so you can dive at sunrise, take the photos, and then sneak out again. Surface as soon as the DDs are out of visual range, get out again using the South channel, but keep a close watch on your SD radar for patrolling aircraft so you can dive before the see you. I noticed that the Truk ASW planes have an uncanny knack for spotting your sub underwater in good weather!
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 06:39 AM   #6
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
Trying to slip into Truk Lagoon for photo recon at the moment.

Nice shots! There are always great targets at Truk! vis a vie AC, BB
Have fun escaping though after an attack.
Old 01-06-08, 06:40 AM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
For sure. I got tired of SC/DW and have been playing the classics (AOD & SHCE) for the last few days.
Have you encountered any subs yet? ...since you have the CE.
Old 01-06-08, 08:03 AM   #8
Janus
XO

Downloads: 25

Is this the normal Silent Hunter? The name "SHCE" is confusing me.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 08:26 AM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
Is this the normal Silent Hunter? The name "SHCE" is confusing me.
Yes, the "CE" is Commanders Edition. It has additional missions and patrol areas, and I believe they added Japanese subs to it.
Old 01-06-08, 11:33 AM   #10
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I've encountered subs, but not recently since starting to play again.

Yes, SHCE is a compilation of all expansions and patches in one package. It came on a CD, but there is trick to copying some files so that you can play without the CD. On my older slower PC (2002 P4 2.56GHz), I used to play using VDMS. On my new faster PC (2007 QX6700 OC'd 3.2GHz), I play under DOSBOX 0.72.

I finally found a good way (House Rules) to deal with the excessive contacts in SHCE. I plot my patrol on the map and then I play from the control room (not the map) until I get a report from the crew. Once I have a report, I mainly play zoomed in on the map. Thus, eliminates the excessive traffic which SH1 models. Having great fun playing like this.

Both AOD and SHCE are great games. I've been playing some SH3/GWX since a few days ago (again ... stopped about 6 months ago). But if you play no external views/no event windows, then really it all comes down to game play. I which case AOD and SHCE may well out do SH3/4 on the quality of just game play.
Old 01-11-08, 06:45 AM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I've encountered subs, but not recently since starting to play again.

Yes, SHCE is a compilation of all expansions and patches in one package. It came on a CD, but there is trick to copying some files so that you can play without the CD. On my older slower PC (2002 P4 2.56GHz), I used to play using VDMS. On my new faster PC (2007 QX6700 OC'd 3.2GHz), I play under DOSBOX 0.72.

I finally found a good way (House Rules) to deal with the excessive contacts in SHCE. I plot my patrol on the map and then I play from the control room (not the map) until I get a report from the crew. Once I have a report, I mainly play zoomed in on the map. Thus, eliminates the excessive traffic which SH1 models. Having great fun playing like this.

Both AOD and SHCE are great games. I've been playing some SH3/GWX since a few days ago (again ... stopped about 6 months ago). But if you play no external views/no event windows, then really it all comes down to game play. I which case AOD and SHCE may well out do SH3/4 on the quality of just game play.

I'd agree with that. I love the missions in SHCE, especally around the Philippines.
Old 01-30-08, 08:35 PM   #12
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Since last I posted, I did encounter a tandem of two fast moving Japanese subs. Picked them up on the SJ first. Sank one of them and the other dived out of harms way.

I was recently reading in a declasified U-boat training doc that light in the sub in the Control Room could be spotted by via the scope being raised and thus when using the scope at night (besides having the observer's eyes night conditioned), the Control Room should be darkened.
Old 01-31-08, 07:33 AM   #13
ChristopherT
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I was recently reading in a declasified U-boat training doc that light in the sub in the Control Room could be spotted by via the scope being raised and thus when using the scope at night (besides having the observer's eyes night conditioned), the Control Room should be darkened.
Interesting. I could see how that might happen, but do you suppose that it's modeled in SH? Without multiplayer it would be hard to prove wether the IJN ships could see your control room lighting through the scope.

Christopher
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote