SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-20, 01:38 PM   #31
Tyronster
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Wow, thanks for that! Very helpful!

I'm in mid-patrol right now and will give the Bandicam-Option a try and if necessarry, the way you described, between patrols.

Just one last question: Does it necessarrily have to be 30 fps or can it be another number, e.g., 40?

Thanks, again!
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I activated the FPS Display option in Bandicam and started the game, and get crazy high FPS numbers displayed in top left corner of the screen:

- In the game menue, over 2000
- After the game save is loaded,
- Inside the boat on the different stations (F2 - F9), up to and over 800
- Outside the boat (F10 - F12), up to and over 300
Can this be? I have a 60Hz Screen ...

So what would happen to the game, if I lock the FPS via Bandicam to 60 or lower?

Thanks!
It doesn't necessarily have to be 30 but the sunrise and sunset will be the most accurate if it is locked at 30. Locking at 40 or 60 fps will improve the accuracy a lot. It will probably still not be perfectly correct but it shouldn't deviate as quickly as it does now with your computer pumping out the massive frames it is now.

Lord knows why the developers made a system like this where the day/night cycle is tied to framerates but it is what it is. I think 30 fps was sort of a standard for gaming at the time. They probably weren't anticipating us playing this 15 years later with the hardware we have today.

So about the high framerates shown in bandicam on your second post. So yes, even with a 60 hz monitor your computer will pump out as many frames as it can if you don't restrict it. So it's pumping out 300 fps and beyond but your monitor can on display 60 fps. So basically it doesn't matter if it's 5000 or 60 fps, you will only see the 60 that your monitor can display. By limiting your frames you actual ease the workload of your hardware by not making it it work as hard as possible to give you unnecessary frames.

I do feel your pain. I have a 144hz monitor and I didn't want to limit it clear down to 30. When you are used to the higher framerates it sucks having to give up that nice crisp experience but honestly it's not that bad. I feel like I don't really notice it after playing for a bit. I figure it's worth it to make the time cycles work correctly. Keep in mind that even though it may look like it's nighttime in the game if the time cycles are way off it could actually be broad daylight and the games AI may be able to see you way easier because to "them" it's daytime.

I hope this was helpful. Also remember all my info from this is coming things I've read about SH4. It seems like exactly the same problem people were having with that game so I'm pretty confident it will help you but I guess i can't guarantee it.
Tyronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 03:58 PM   #32
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyronster View Post
It doesn't necessarily have to be 30 but the sunrise and sunset will be the most accurate if it is locked at 30. Locking at 40 or 60 fps will improve the accuracy a lot. It will probably still not be perfectly correct but it shouldn't deviate as quickly as it does now with your computer pumping out the massive frames it is now.

Lord knows why the developers made a system like this where the day/night cycle is tied to framerates but it is what it is. I think 30 fps was sort of a standard for gaming at the time. They probably weren't anticipating us playing this 15 years later with the hardware we have today.

So about the high framerates shown in bandicam on your second post. So yes, even with a 60 hz monitor your computer will pump out as many frames as it can if you don't restrict it. So it's pumping out 300 fps and beyond but your monitor can on display 60 fps. So basically it doesn't matter if it's 5000 or 60 fps, you will only see the 60 that your monitor can display. By limiting your frames you actual ease the workload of your hardware by not making it it work as hard as possible to give you unnecessary frames.

I do feel your pain. I have a 144hz monitor and I didn't want to limit it clear down to 30. When you are used to the higher framerates it sucks having to give up that nice crisp experience but honestly it's not that bad. I feel like I don't really notice it after playing for a bit. I figure it's worth it to make the time cycles work correctly. Keep in mind that even though it may look like it's nighttime in the game if the time cycles are way off it could actually be broad daylight and the games AI may be able to see you way easier because to "them" it's daytime.

I hope this was helpful. Also remember all my info from this is coming things I've read about SH4. It seems like exactly the same problem people were having with that game so I'm pretty confident it will help you but I guess i can't guarantee it.
That is amazing! Thanks a bunch! I will keep it at 60 fps for now and see how it will respond during this patrol and the next one.

Sunrise and Sunset are already off (late) by about 4 hours during this patrol but it seems that since I made the change to 60 fps, it hasn't moved any further ...

If needed, I will work my way down by 10er steps to 30.

I'm not sure, I have noticed a different AI behaviour from how they usually do during day and night time but will keep an eye on that - thanks!

Happy Hunting and Thanks, again!!!
Old 08-14-20, 08:57 PM   #33
Tyronster
Swabbie

Downloads: 21

Quote:
That is amazing! Thanks a bunch! I will keep it at 60 fps for now and see how it will respond during this patrol and the next one.

Sunrise and Sunset are already off (late) by about 4 hours during this patrol but it seems that since I made the change to 60 fps, it hasn't moved any further ...

If needed, I will work my way down by 10er steps to 30.

I'm not sure, I have noticed a different AI behaviour from how they usually do during day and night time but will keep an eye on that - thanks!

Happy Hunting and Thanks, again!!!
Stopping by just for curiosity's sake. Does it still seem like your problem has been fixed?
Tyronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-20, 03:11 AM   #34
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyronster View Post
Stopping by just for curiosity's sake. Does it still seem like your problem has been fixed?

I believe so, thanks for asking! I haven't been able to complete my current patrol, yet but it seems, that the Sunrise/Sunset are not shifting anymore or only very little, since they are out of wack already.

Once starting a new patrol, I will know for sure ...
Old 08-15-20, 05:18 AM   #35
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Clock going progressively off might be related to high FPS but also to long high TC in my opinion...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 08:14 AM   #36
Kapitän
The Old Man

Default Jan.1941

Hi All,

Just a quick feedback. I started a new war patrol in Jan.1941 with the FPS set at 50.

Seems to work pretty good, merely shifting when changing latitude during travel, as one would expect.

Not quite in accordance with historic astronomical data but still pretty good.

I think, I will leave it there for now and only change again if needed.

Thanks and Happy Hunting!
Old 10-12-20, 11:36 AM   #37
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 7

Interesting choice of names

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 03:37 AM   #38
Kapitän
The Old Man

Icon14 @ Kapitan

YES!!!
Old 10-15-20, 06:40 PM   #39
Orffen
Mate

Downloads: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Clock going progressively off might be related to high FPS but also to long high TC in my opinion...
My understanding of the SH4 thread on this is that high TC is good (within reason), because the game abstracts the time calculations in some way instead of them being so framerate-linked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
When playing at 1x to 1024x time compression, the game is REMARKABLY accurate when rendering sunset and sunrise! (Compared to Almanac times.) A bit less accurate when rendering moonset and moonrise. However, when playing ONLY at 1x, a cumulative error occurs which offsets the synchronization of the celestial sphere so that the sunrise, sunset, moonset, moonrise times are out of sync with the Base Time clock, even when not traveling outside (east-west) of the Base Time zone.
I think common practice with SH3 though is only 256x TC - which may be low enough that it doesn't kick the engine into the more abstracted clock.

In any case, be aware than in SH4 this is only a graphical effect - the AI uses the "true" base time in determining how easy it is to detect you - so high noon at midnight for you is still just a dark midnight for the AI logic.

But as Front Runner said all that time ago, the important takeaways are:
  1. Limit your framerate to no higher than 60 FPS
  2. Play Silent Hunter
  3. Be more aggressive!
Old 10-15-20, 09:22 PM   #40
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

What seemed to cause it for me was when I was in an area off Halifax where its 23:00 and its still light out, but when it gets to 0600, it turns dark.
I think the weather is linked to the area you are in but the timezone does not change.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 01:31 PM   #41
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Hi guys, i didn't read whole this thread, just first few posts about this problem, so don't know if it was not answered.
But i hope this can help to you.
There is my sun almanac for north hemisphere:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=143

As i investigated, the years in SH3 are the same, so it works for all years. But i don't remember if there was some trouble with 29 Feb 1944, maybe is sun to the end of this year shifted for this 29th day.

And second thing - there are two times in SH3, do you know about it?
There is one time set up by timezone when your mission start and second time - local time showing time of your local timezone, where your uboat actualy is.
Read first few pages from celestial navaigation revisited (i linked you post with almanac from this thread, so just look at the whole thread), there is Bravo's investigation about SH3 timers...

After that you will understand what happening in your game. Because time setting is changing for example when you load your previously saved game. At that moment clock in sub are set to local time of timezone where sub is, even when your base is in GMT time zone and when you started patrol, clock in sub was setup to GMT.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 07:39 PM   #42
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default quick question

Had a question about Frame rates. My frame rates run about 40-160 at sea depending on weather I’m near land or not. They’re not as high near land. In port with traffic I get the 40+ and at sea I’m in the 140-160 range. On the Map, interior crew management screens up to 340+fps. I think it might be a tad more. But before my question, on this post, about high frame rates and the effects it has on the night times and day times shifting. I do understand that traveling, east-west, north–south and seasons effect the day light and night time dark periods by a few hours. No problems there.
I do spend quite a few hours in the, high frame rate “Map” screen and when I did over the course of several weeks on patrol the day/night hours shifted almost opposite. Sun rise was like 2330 and sun set was, 0930. I really don’t understand the technicals on why frame rates effect the clock and light and dark periods. So I gave it a shot and using my AMD software (ADRENALINE ) I set a max limit of 60fps. Problem solved. Everything maxes out at 60fps, including the nav map. My monitors are 60hz, so I notice no ill effects visually and there was not this time shift. Is this OK or should I bump it up a bit. Not clear what the optimum frame rate setting should be for best results. Opinions welcome. Now to my question. I have a gaming laptop with a monitor that’s a 144hz monitor. Should I set my frame rate limit to 144fps ? I’m thinking 60fps would cause negative visual issues. Or should I just leave it be and not set any frame rate limits. My video card is a NVidia on this laptop and not AMD, if this makes a difference.
Does anyone experience the “time shifting over time and make these frame rate limit adjustments ? Maybe I not understanding this “Time Shift / Frame Rate” connection and am way off base here. All Mega Mods have time shifts for me. Thanx
Old 06-01-23, 07:14 AM   #43
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
Had a question about Frame rates. My frame rates run about 40-160 at sea depending on weather I’m near land or not. They’re not as high near land. In port with traffic I get the 40+ and at sea I’m in the 140-160 range. On the Map, interior crew management screens up to 340+fps. I think it might be a tad more. But before my question, on this post, about high frame rates and the effects it has on the night times and day times shifting. I do understand that traveling, east-west, north–south and seasons effect the day light and night time dark periods by a few hours. No problems there.
I do spend quite a few hours in the, high frame rate “Map” screen and when I did over the course of several weeks on patrol the day/night hours shifted almost opposite. Sun rise was like 2330 and sun set was, 0930. I really don’t understand the technicals on why frame rates effect the clock and light and dark periods. So I gave it a shot and using my AMD software (ADRENALINE ) I set a max limit of 60fps. Problem solved. Everything maxes out at 60fps, including the nav map. My monitors are 60hz, so I notice no ill effects visually and there was not this time shift. Is this OK or should I bump it up a bit. Not clear what the optimum frame rate setting should be for best results. Opinions welcome. Now to my question. I have a gaming laptop with a monitor that’s a 144hz monitor. Should I set my frame rate limit to 144fps ? I’m thinking 60fps would cause negative visual issues. Or should I just leave it be and not set any frame rate limits. My video card is a NVidia on this laptop and not AMD, if this makes a difference.
Does anyone experience the “time shifting over time and make these frame rate limit adjustments ? Maybe I not understanding this “Time Shift / Frame Rate” connection and am way off base here. All Mega Mods have time shifts for me. Thanx

So, I have the FPS lockedat 60 using Bandicam. I do seem to notice though, that there are some horizontal lines, when moving about in the boat.

Time shifts seem to be within range, considering I'm currently heading for the Far East.

My monitor information DVI is:
Model: Ijyama PL2273HD
H.Freq. 67.2 KKz
V.Freq. 59.7 Hz
Resolution: 1920x1080
Pixel Clock: 139.7 MHz

I'm not quite sure myself, which would be the ideal FPS rate, when considering these monitor specs.
Old 06-01-23, 10:35 AM   #44
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Thank you

I guess I'll just haf to experiment. It's easy but Game loading time consuming ... LOL