SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-20, 08:02 AM   #1
BritTorrent
Watch

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 0
Default NYGM Torpedo Dudd Modelling - Far too much?

Hi all,

Just wanted to run something by you all. I recently had an NYGM patrol (September 1940 out of Lorient, 2nd Flotilla, Type IX) where I found a single Large Cargo off the coast off Freetown. I submerged, lined up the shots, and managed to get them perfectly on target. Smack in the middle of the freighter.

Except that both Torpedos went under the ship, and the magnetic fuse didn't work...

No bother, I know that NYGM models the Torpedo crisis so I expected to get a fair amount of duds early in the war.

Except that I ended up firing ELEVEN torpedos at this thing, and every single one of them ran too deep and missed the target.

I tried every variation I could think of, I set the depth to the bare minimum, tried Impact fuses, tried magnetic fuses, tried fast, medium and slow shots. None of them worked. I resorted to using WO assistance to make sure the shots were deadly accurate, every single one of them was spot on but every single one of them ran under the ship. Sea state was relatively calm, I didn't get the exact sea state but it was just above calm really, relatively small waves, normal weather for engaging a target.

Is this remotely realistic? I know about the Torpedo crisis and I know NYGM models this so I know that I'm going to get a relatively high rate of duds, but this seems ludicrous. If this is based on the real life dud rate how the hell did the U-Boats sink anything early on in the war?

Is this a bug or is this expected behaviour for NYGM early war?

Below is my JSGME export for reference;

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3\MODS]

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Restore Gods Eye View
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
EnvSimAct_10
NYGM_HiRes_Submarines_3_6F
ARB WideGui 1920x1080
Fix for the Recon Book ARB WideGui 1920x1080
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey - All Leather] Patch
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
Das Boot Sound Mod
Gramaphone Mod
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
BritTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 09:31 AM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTorrent View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to run something by you all. I recently had an NYGM patrol (September 1940 out of Lorient, 2nd Flotilla, Type IX) where I found a single Large Cargo off the coast off Freetown. I submerged, lined up the shots, and managed to get them perfectly on target. Smack in the middle of the freighter.

Except that both Torpedos went under the ship, and the magnetic fuse didn't work...

No bother, I know that NYGM models the Torpedo crisis so I expected to get a fair amount of duds early in the war.

Except that I ended up firing ELEVEN torpedos at this thing, and every single one of them ran too deep and missed the target.

I tried every variation I could think of, I set the depth to the bare minimum, tried Impact fuses, tried magnetic fuses, tried fast, medium and slow shots. None of them worked. I resorted to using WO assistance to make sure the shots were deadly accurate, every single one of them was spot on but every single one of them ran under the ship. Sea state was relatively calm, I didn't get the exact sea state but it was just above calm really, relatively small waves, normal weather for engaging a target.

Is this remotely realistic? I know about the Torpedo crisis and I know NYGM models this so I know that I'm going to get a relatively high rate of duds, but this seems ludicrous. If this is based on the real life dud rate how the hell did the U-Boats sink anything early on in the war?

Is this a bug or is this expected behaviour for NYGM early war?

Below is my JSGME export for reference;

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3\MODS]

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Restore Gods Eye View
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
EnvSimAct_10
NYGM_HiRes_Submarines_3_6F
ARB WideGui 1920x1080
Fix for the Recon Book ARB WideGui 1920x1080
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey - All Leather] Patch
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
Das Boot Sound Mod
Gramaphone Mod
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
First, yes, it is realistic. This happened to more than one actual commander.
Second, you're using H.sie's patch. If you have his torpedo failure part of the patch enabled there is your problem.
Be sure to read the patches info/instructions. With the failure option enabled, one must take into account the windspeed to set the correct torpedo depth.
Windspeed x .4 = the minimum depth to set. I.e., windspeed of 9 the torpedoes should be set to a minimum depth of 3.6. I usually add a little so I'd use around 4 in this example.

Also, unless you merged some files you should have H.sie's and Stieblers patches last in your mod order. You have several files after them that would overwrite parts of their patches.
Old 11-22-20, 10:45 AM   #3
BritTorrent
Watch

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 0

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the manual and read up on the changes.

Regarding the mod order, the actual NYGM install list doesn't have those two at the end. And I'm worried if I put them there it'll stop the ARB GUI from working?

Ill do some digging.
BritTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 11:03 AM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTorrent View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the manual and read up on the changes.

Regarding the mod order, the actual NYGM install list doesn't have those two at the end. And I'm worried if I put them there it'll stop the ARB GUI from working?

Ill do some digging.
Unless one knows how to merge files used by the conflicting mods, its a general rule to put those two at the end; otherwise the files they use will be overwrote by following mods, rendering some of the patches functions inoperable.
If you're worried about ARB, just see what files it and the two patches have in common and edit/merge from there.

I.e., say ARB and the two patches all have file x in them but you want to use all three. H.sie's version wouldn't matter since Stiebler's gets applied, and is meant to be, on top of it anyway.
I would take Stiebler's file x version and add whatever I wanted from ARB's file x to it, (while not disabling anything from Stiebler's file x in doing so) and then apply Stiebler last.
Doing so would allow ARB, H.sie's, and Stiebler's files all to work together with no conflicts nor any loss of functions of any of the three items involved.