SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-13, 06:48 AM   #1
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default My review

Overall I love this game. I'm still getting used to it seen as I normally play the "light" sims (NWAC, Fleet Command) but the controls are easy enough to grasp, theirs some tutorial videos on youtube that nailed it. I feel after about 4-5 hours of playtime i know what i'm doing. Ive mainly stuck to the smaller scenarios but i'm going to try some of the older scenarios, a 1964 invasion of kuwait (iraq vs kuwait/UK) looks good. This actually happened, the UK sent carriers, iraq backed down. This alternate scenario changes that. Overall the performance is good the only thing I miss is sound, their no sound in the game at all. Even if it was a few beeps and buzzes every time something happens it would be ok, but no. Complete silence. That been the only negative I can think of and that soon community scenarios are going to be appearing, plus patches, the future looks good.

Overall its a great game. Takes a few hours of patience to master it but once your their its great.

8/10
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 10:05 AM   #2
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Thanks!

Sound effects are disabled by default (most beta folks tended to disable them after a while so it stuck), but you can easily enable them: From the main manu, Game -> Game Options -> Use Game Sounds.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 02:19 PM   #3
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

I only played the tutorial submarine mission.

The sounds effect actually startled me, as irregular as they are. I did not hear any other sound in that mission except the launch of a torpedo or the explosion on the target. No other sounds were heard.

The comments on the left on the screen are not read.

Very little sound feet back of any information.

Then again, NO COMMAND DETONATE of torpedoes, and that is unrealistic.

I will keep playing other submarine missions, but I am 1/2 as enthusiastic now that I was before I bought the game.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 02:29 PM   #4
Richard G
Mate

Downloads: 14

Are you saying the game has command detonate torpedoes, or does not?

There is no such thing as a command detonated torpedo, at least in the US Navy there isn't.
Old 09-25-13, 02:59 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Are you saying the game has command detonate torpedoes, or does not?

There is no such thing as a command detonated torpedo, at least in the US Navy there isn't.

When I read it, my first thought was Hunt For Red October, where James Earl Jones press a botton and a torpedo explode before it hit it's target(Red October) I'm not really into how torpedoes work in the real world, so I don't know if it's possible.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 03:13 PM   #6
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Due to the numerous accidents (incident) or close call, or near miss to the usage of Acoustic homing torpedoes, as the tech. allowed it, a wire was added to control torpedoes during the first leg of their courses.

That was at first a safety measure.

As the technology evolved, other functions were added to the control of torpedoes.

Today, the safety measures remains as shutting them down when recovery was possible or exploding them as the technology could be recovered by other country. Torpedoes tech is top secret for their homing system in ANY countries in the world.

Exploding a torpedo as a tactical defensive maneuver is also used, as long as it is still wired.

see Advanced Defensive Tactics post in Subsim.com

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=207398

Last edited by biosthetique; 09-25-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 03:19 PM   #7
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
The comments on the left on the screen are not read.
If you have trouble reading the message log, you can have it be printed on a separate window instead of using the left side of the main map.

From the main menu, Game -> Game Options -> "Message Log in separate window".
Old 09-25-13, 03:26 PM   #8
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
Exploding a torpedo as a tactical defensive maneuver is also used, as long as it is still wired.

see Advanced Defensive Tactics post in Subsim.com

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=207398
Is this a usable real-life tactic? We've had several people on the beta group with sub ops experience and nobody has brought this up.
Old 09-25-13, 04:36 PM   #9
biosthetique
Lieutenant

ha! ha! ha! If you are in the US Navy (or any DOD department from many countries), in the reserve, or retired, you have a duty to not reveal details for XX years.

Having a Navy Officer on board will guaranty you to be blinded on certain issues, and/or to be told that they never heard of that, never seen it, don't know, or finally, have no comment (which is what I like most as you are told not to ask again, in a honest way). As they are just doing their job protecting their country. There is nothing wrong with that.

Deception is part of the Arsenal!

I.e. Tom Clancy never served in the US navy, but he knew many people that did serve in the US Navy and the Royal Navy!...

You are better off getting your info from Jane's and you won't be breaking any laws!

http://www.ihs.com/products/janes/de...cts/Naval.aspx

Last edited by biosthetique; 09-25-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 04:57 PM   #10
Richard G
Mate

Downloads: 14

I didn't know that. I was limited to handling Mk46 and Mk50s though. Rendering the torp unrecoverable makes perfect sense.

One of my ASW instructors yelled out "Bull Ship!", when we saw that part of the movie in the theater (James Earl Jones), then slapped his hand over his mouth for fear of losing his clearance
Old 09-25-13, 05:11 PM   #11
biosthetique
Lieutenant

You got it!

And it is not reproduced in DW as they are US Navy contractors.

Tom Clancy is a US civilian, hence more freedom!...Yet that part of the movie is not completely accurate, as only the launcher can destroy it and as long as it is still wired. I am not venturing any further than that!
Old 09-26-13, 12:40 AM   #12
Sunburn
Warfaresims

I'm not thinking so much about security clearances as much as the basic laws of physics.

Sonar, unless we're talking about the mine-hunting sets who are capable of imaging, is an imprecise sensor at the best of times. The only operational anti-torpedo systems known, the US Mk46 Mod 7 and the Russian UDAV-1, are designed to create barrage explosions near the threatened ship as a last-ditch effort to stop the incoming torpedo, exactly because they are not precise enough to impact near it otherwise.

What you and that game describe is more akin to long-range ABM-like interception. I'd like to see some hard figures indicating that even the best US sonars are capable of generating precise enough targeting data for such a feat.
Old 09-26-13, 12:40 AM   #13
Zander
A-ganger

Downloads: 346

What biosthetique is saying makes perfect sense to me. I guarded Pershing 2 nuke missiles for a while, and when I PCSed I signed a secrecy document with "NO" expiration date. I will be 61 this year for some perspective.
I just want Sonalysts to give us their best shot at a modern DWS, and I'll die happy. And yes, this game is a keeper. Thank you Warfaresims.
Zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:52 AM   #14
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Let's review the evidence:

Tome after tome of Jane's: No mention of this capability AFAIK.
Conways: Nothing.
USNI: Nothing.
Other printed sources: Nothing.
Russian sources (you can often find stuff there that nobody in the US will dare talk about): Nothing.
Sonalyst sims, widely regarded as the best unclassified source: Nothing.
Clancy's non-fiction books (e.g. "Submarine"), mass-oriented but fairly useful: Nothing.
Non-fiction books by other authors: Nothing.
Sub guys in our beta group: Nothing.

Sources supporting this:
- Clancy's "SSN", generally regarded as a low-fidelity sim bordering on arcade.
- You (biosthetique).

You can probably appreciate my skepticism.

I can only see two possible explanations:

1) This capability does not exist, which is why nobody out there is talking about it. You have been misinformed, either by error or on purpose (lots of COINTEL pros out there).

2) The capability does exist, and the US defence establishment has been wildly successful in keeping it under wraps and has actively silenced anyone attempting to reveal it (incl foreign entities - I'm sure the Russians would talk about it if they knew and were able to). Which in turn means that about half an hour after we provide an update for Command that models this capability, I will be abducted by the local direct-action outfit in Athens and shipped off to a suitable facility for further interrogation.

In either case, I don't see much of an incentive for including this capability in Command

Last edited by Sunburn; 09-26-13 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 12:56 AM   #15
Sunburn
Warfaresims

BTW If I am wrong and this capability is described anywhere out there (outside the SSN game), please do correct me. I would be interested in learning more about it. Thanks!