SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-19, 10:33 AM   #2986
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1605 Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. Plot discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.

1937 Adolf Hitler informs his military leaders in a secret meeting of his intentions of going to war.

1941 Japanese naval staff officers Suzuki and Maejima leave Pearl Harbor.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 10:41 AM   #2987
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

cool TUMBLIN' TUMBLEWEEDS INDEED!

1911:Leonard Sly is born in Cincinnati, Ohio! I DIDN'T MUCH CARE ABOUT TEPID SINGING COWBOYS....BUT I REALLY LIKED HIS HORSE TRIGGER! SMALL WONDER! HE WAS A TRUE STAR IN HIS OWN RIGHT:
Quote:
Golden Cloud made an early appearance as the mount of Maid Marian, played by Olivia de Havilland in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). A short while later, when Roy Rogers was preparing to make his first movie in a starring role, he was offered a choice of five rented "movie" horses to ride and chose Golden Cloud. Rogers bought him eventually in 1943 and renamed him Trigger for his quickness of both foot and mind. Trigger learned 150 trick cues and could walk 50 ft (15 m) on his hind legs (according to sources close to Rogers). They were said to have run out of places to cue Trigger. Trigger became such a ham that as soon as he heard applause, he would start bowing and ruin that trick. He could sit in a chair, sign his name "X" with a pencil, and lie down for a nap and cover himself with a blanket. Roger's most carefully guarded trade secret was to get Trigger housebroken. "Spending as much time as he does in hotels, theaters, and hospitals, this ability comes in might handy and it's conceded by most trainers to be Trigger's greatest accomplishment." —Glenn Randall, wrangler with Hudkins Stables.
TRIGGER, MOUNTED ON DISPLAY AT THE ROY ROGERS MUSEUM, REMAINED ITS BIGGEST ATTRACTION FOR YEARS.....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-05-19 at 11:12 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 08:32 AM   #2988
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 Japanese fleet readies for assault on Pearl Harbour.

1945 The first landing of a jet on a carrier takes place on USS Wake Island when an FR-1 Fireball touches down.

1956 Suez Crisis: British Royal Marines storm Port Said in Egypt amid growing domestic and international opposition to the Anglo-French-Israeli military operation.

1991 The last oil fire in Kuwait set by retreating Iraqi troops is extinguished.

1995 Israel buries Yitzhak Rabin, assassinated by Jewish extremist Yigal Amir who opposed peace with Palestinians.

1999 Australians vote to keep the British monarch as their head of state in the Australian republic referendum.

Old 11-07-19, 08:04 AM   #2989
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1800 It becomes illegal for women in Paris to wear trousers without a Police permit (annulled 2013).

1872 Cargo ship Mary Celeste sails from Staten Island for Genoa; mysteriously found abandoned four weeks later.

1918 United Press erroneously reports WWI armistice had been signed.

1962 Richard Nixon tells press he won't be available to kick around any more after losing election for Governor of California.

1972 Incumbent President Richard Nixon is re-elected, defeating Democrat candidate George McGovern in a landslide by winning 49 states.

2000 Controversial US presidential election between George W. Bush and Al Gore is inconclusive; the result, in Bush's favor, is eventually resolved by the Supreme Court.

Old 11-07-19, 10:42 AM   #2990
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

cool LBD: IT'S WHAT'S IN VOGUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1800 It becomes illegal for women in Paris to wear trousers without a Police permit (annulled 2013).
WHAT AN INSULT TO GABRIELLE 'COCO' CHANEL....NOT EVERYBODY CAN WEAR ''THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS"
Quote:
In 1926 Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel published a picture of a short, simple black dress in American Vogue. It was calf-length, straight and decorated only by a few diagonal lines. Vogue called it "Chanel's Ford". Like the Model T, the little black dress was simple and accessible for women of all social classes. Vogue also said that the LBD would become "a sort of uniform for all women of taste"
1926'S VERSION:
WAS REALLY BIG HIT! AND THEN SOME!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 07:40 AM   #2991
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1900 David Beatty takes part in the successful relief of the naval brigade and is promoted to captain.

1915 An Austrian-Hungarian submarine torpedoes and sinks the Italian liner 'Ancona' without warning; over 200 lives lost.

1923 Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party stage "Beer Hall Putsch" in Munich.

1939 Failed assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler in Burgerbraukeller, Munich.

1942 Adolf Hitler proclaims fall of Stalingrad from Munich beer hall.

1950 A US aircraft shoots down a North Korean jet in the Korean War, the first jet-to-jet dogfight in history.

1974 British peer the Earl of Lucan disappears and is never seen again after his nanny is found murdered in London.

2016 Republican Donald Trump is elected President of the United States of America, defeating democrat Hillary Clinton, who received 2.9 million more votes.

Old 11-09-19, 09:57 AM   #2992
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1888 Jack Ripper's 5th and probably last victim, Mary Jane Kelly, found on her bed.

1923 Beer Hall Putsch's second day in Munich; Nazis fail to overthrow government, 16 die, Hitler flees.

1925 German NSDAP (Nazi party) forms Schutzstaffel (SS)

1979 False alarm of a Soviet ballistic missile attack by US NORAD system after technician fails to code a test properly.

1984 Vietnam Veterans Memorial ("3 Servicemen") completed.

1989 East Berlin opens its borders, the Berlin Wall is taken down.

Old 11-10-19, 09:09 AM   #2993
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1918 Western Union Cable Office in North Sydney, Nova Scotia receives a top-secret coded message from Europe stating on November 11, 1918 all fighting would cease on land, sea and in the air.

1989 Germans begin demolishing the Berlin Wall.

Old 11-11-19, 09:29 AM   #2994
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1918 WWI armistice signed by the Allies and Germany comes into effect and World War I hostilities end at 11am, "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"

1920 The burials of unknown soldiers take place simultaneously in Westminster Abbey, London, and at the Arc de Triomphe, Paris.

1921 US President Warren G. Harding dedicates Tomb of Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery.

1940 Thousands of Paris students lay a wreath at the Grave of the Unknown Soldier.

1940 British Fleet Air Arm attack destroys half of Italian fleet at Taranto.

1940 Willys unveiled its General Purpose vehicle ("Jeep")

1983 First US cruise missiles arrive in Great Britain.

Old 11-12-19, 07:55 AM   #2995
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1912 British explorer Robert Scott's diary & body found in Antarctica.

1923 In Germany, Adolf Hitler is arrested for attempt to seize power during "Beer Hall Putsch" coup.

1927 Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, paving the way for Joseph Stalin to consolidate complete power.

1933 First known photo of so-called Loch Ness monster is taken by Hugh Gray.

1938 Hermann Goering announces he wants Madagascar as a Jewish homeland.

1944 RAF sinks German battleship "Tirpitz" at Tromso Fjord, Norway.

1948 Japanese Prime Minister Hideki Tojo sentenced to death by war crimes tribunal.

Old 11-13-19, 07:57 AM   #2996
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1789 Benjamin Franklin writes "Nothing . . . certain but death & taxes"

1982 Vietnam Veterans Memorial opens in Washington D.C., featuring the names of over 58,000 US soldiers killed or missing in the Vietnam War.

Old 11-14-19, 06:55 AM   #2997
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 British aircraft carrier Ark Royal sank in Mediterranean, having been torpedoed by a German submarine the day before.

1965 US government sends 90,000 soldiers to Vietnam.

1983 First cruise missile placed at Greenham Common, England.

Old 11-15-19, 07:23 AM   #2998
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1898 David Beatty is promoted to commander.

1899 Morning Post reporter Winston Churchill captured by Boers in Natal.

1916 Canadian pilot William George Barker flying over Ancre River, spots concentration of German troops massing for counter-attack on Beaumont Hamel, sends emergency Zone Call to break up German infantry apart. Barker later receives Military Cross.

1919 US Senate first invokes cloture to end a filibuster (Versailles Treaty)

1942 First flight of the Heinkel He 219.

1969 An estimated 2 million people take part in the Vietnam War Moratorium Demonstration across the United States.

Old 11-16-19, 08:25 AM   #2999
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 In response to Germany's leveling of Coventry, England two days before, the Royal Air Force bombs Hamburg.

1969 1968 Mỹ Lai massacre of between 347 and 504 unarmed South Vietnamese civilians by US soldiers is first reported.

2018 CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Old 11-17-19, 06:50 AM   #3000
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1869 Suez Canal in Egypt opens, linking Mediterranean and Red seas.

1913 The first ship sails through the Panama Canal, which connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

1937 Britain's Lord Halifax visits Germany, beginning of appeasement.

1970 Douglas Engelbart receives the patent for the first computer mouse.

1973 US President Richard Nixon tells AP "...people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook"