SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-21, 10:43 AM   #6061
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

US pharmaceutical giant MERCK has stopped development of its Covid vaccine, the project is "dead". Results of the early tests showed that the efficiency was too low and did not meet expectations (and demands). MERCK cooperated with the French Pasteur Institute.

It shows how difficult the development of a vaccine is.
Old 01-25-21, 01:57 PM   #6062
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
US pharmaceutical giant MERCK has stopped development of its Covid vaccine, the project is "dead". Results of the early tests showed that the efficiency was too low and did not meet expectations (and demands). MERCK cooperated with the French Pasteur Institute.

It shows how difficult the development of a vaccine is.
Depends. What was the profit or loss in each dose? Once you know that answer, then you'll know why they stopped development...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 05:10 PM   #6063
Skybird
Soaring

Vaccines have a minimum efficiency criteria that they must pass to get licensed. Its usually set at 50%. And that value would be considered already pretty bad.

Merck got out of the starting block very late, sleeping over the starting shot. They have gotten accused before of having slept for too long.
Old 01-25-21, 05:14 PM   #6064
Skybird
Soaring

The Astra-Zeneca vaccine is unlikely to get a EU license for use on seniors.
Old 01-26-21, 04:19 AM   #6065
Skybird
Soaring

I knw about what he says on fever (not fighting it as long as it doe snot become a threat in itself), but the remarks on liquid intakes during an infection was new to me. I would have assumed that it is positive to drink.

Old 01-26-21, 04:41 AM   #6066
Skybird
Soaring

Ten tips of Covid-19 prevention. My key lesson learned: adding a pulse oximeter to my med kit.
The Overview text has quick time stanps to jump to certain parts of the program.

And more evidence for the case of Vitamin D
Old 01-26-21, 04:42 AM   #6067
Skybird
Soaring

And here comes: The Captains United!

I think many people owe both men for having made it their task to push out information

Old 01-26-21, 11:07 AM   #6068
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Messed up their initial vaccine roll-out, now threatening to block exports of Pfizer jab......whilst lambasting Astra Zeneca over supplies of a jab they've not even approved yet. The EU at its finest

Quote:
The EU has warned Covid vaccine producers they must deliver agreed supplies, amid fears reductions could seriously hamper its inoculation drive.

AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech have both said production problems mean they cannot supply the expected numbers.

The EU warned it could restrict exports of vaccines made in the bloc, with Germany's health minister demanding "fair distribution".

The UK's vaccine minister warned of "the dead end of vaccine nationalism".

AstraZeneca is mainly produced in the UK, while the UK's supplies of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine come from the company's Belgian plant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55805903

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 11:09 AM   #6069
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson will hold a news conference at 1700, along with chief medical officer Chris Whitty and NHS chief Simon Stevens.

The EU warns it will tighten exports of vaccines produced in the bloc, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies.

The UK is confident it will receive enough doses of coronavirus vaccines to meet its targets, the vaccine minister has said.

More than 100,000 deaths involving coronavirus have been registered in the UK, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Ministers are expected to approve a plan to require UK citizens to quarantine in a hotel if they arrive in England from high-risk countries.

They are meeting tonight to discuss the plan - a decision may not be announced until Wednesday.

Latin America's richest man Carlos Slim has tested positive for Covid-19

Old 01-26-21, 11:17 AM   #6070
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Scotland will go "at least as far" as England in enhancing measures at the border, the nation's deputy first minister says, as ministers consider the case for making people arriving in the UK stay in "quarantine hotels".

A pledge to vaccinate 70% of over-80s by the weekend was missed by the Welsh government. Weather has been blamed for why the target was not reached. Latest figures show 96,830 over-80s have received a first dose - that's 52.8% of the group, although there is a lag in the data.

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has resigned amid divisions over spending in the coronavirus crisis, in which more than 85,000 Italians have died.

Rioters in the Netherlands clashed for a third night with police over coronavirus restrictions in defiance of a newly imposed curfew.

Protesters in Australia have defied Covid rules on Australia Day while protesting against the culturally sensitive holiday. Several people have been arrested.

The South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, has condemned so-called vaccine nationalism by the world's wealthiest countries.

Old 01-26-21, 12:08 PM   #6071
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-26-21, 12:15 PM   #6072
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-26-21, 02:17 PM   #6073
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Messed up their initial vaccine roll-out,
Did we? I don't think so. We could have done better, that much is true. But we have established a solid legal basis for approval (that ensures accountability of the producers in case of long-term side effects) and a fair mechanism of distribution among the members.

https://translate.google.com/transla...dern-weltweit/

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...ickerSort=desc

I know the absolute figures make us look much better than the per capita data, but even the normalized data shows merely minor differences between most countries. I can understand that people in the UK - a country that has been hit harder by the virus than most of the rest of the world- can become thin-skinned and that might lead to a self-righteous perspective. But "messed up"? Sorry, no.

Quote:
now threatening to block exports of Pfizer jab......whilst lambasting Astra Zeneca over supplies of a jab they've not even approved yet.
AZ delivers 100% of the promised quantity to the UK, but less than 50% of the quantity contracted to the EU (You should listen to Europeans talk about this "oddity". Some of us will never forget.) Everybody understands that problems in production reduce availability. But we want our fair share of the produced quantity and we demand transparency concerning the quotas. If AZ doesn't comply we will push back against their conduct.

Quote:
The EU at its finest
Watching too many of the wrong movies Jim? Seems they start rubbing off on you.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 06:09 PM   #6074
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Well we got our massed vaccination going for like week and a half now (from 18th), I got my Sputnik-V shot back on Thursday.
Old 01-27-21, 04:08 AM   #6075
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Did we? I don't think so. We could have done better, that much is true. But we have established a solid legal basis for approval (that ensures accountability of the producers in case of long-term side effects) and a fair mechanism of distribution among the members.

https://translate.google.com/transla...dern-weltweit/

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...ickerSort=desc

I know the absolute figures make us look much better than the per capita data, but even the normalized data shows merely minor differences between most countries. I can understand that people in the UK - a country that has been hit harder by the virus than most of the rest of the world- can become thin-skinned and that might lead to a self-righteous perspective. But "messed up"? Sorry, no.

AZ delivers 100% of the promised quantity to the UK, but less than 50% of the quantity contracted to the EU (You should listen to Europeans talk about this "oddity". Some of us will never forget.) Everybody understands that problems in production reduce availability. But we want our fair share of the produced quantity and we demand transparency concerning the quotas. If AZ doesn't comply we will push back against their conduct.

Watching too many of the wrong movies Jim? Seems they start rubbing off on you.

A lot is the eU's repsonsibility for sure. The order for AZ came ver yklate, and now they complain that the ymust go through the same production fixiation like the Uk had to some time ago. For the UK, this got meanwhile fixed, but the UK orderd earlkier -a nd as I red yesterday somewhere, they invested PLENTY of m ore money into the early orders than the EU did.

The EU wanted it perfectly, and they wnated it cheaply, and thes saaced a few hunbdred milliosn that way maybe - with every week of lockdown in Germany costing 3.5-4 billion. Well done. Thats what happens if adressing realiut yis beign left to planned econoym theorestiocists who think an economy and a production cycles workjs just by commanding how relaity should be, and then it is so with the snipping of a finger.

It is exactly the same kind of ,misplanning and theoreticising and reality-missing failure that von der Leyen has produced time and again in her time as minister in german in her last two ressort. Its exactly the same kind of misplanning. That cannot be a coincidence.

And I think they still have not learned anythign from it. Or they do not learn becasue then they woudl need to admit that before they had awfully failed.

Russia is faster. Israel anyway. The UK. China. Korea. America. Everybody does it better than the EU. One can hardly argue the EU way is a good way. Obviously it is not. Its a desaster, compared to the efficiency of the others. And still they have a big mouth.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan