SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-19, 10:45 AM   #16
Dmitry Markov
Officer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Onkel Neal, I watch First Man from time to time - it's a very-very good film. As any good film it has more than one layer of story. However, for me scenes of flights are the film's best achievements - it conveys feelings of flight in a small craft to the bones. I've got a bit of flying in small craft in my life (not the space ones of course) so I say it's very-very realistic. I pay greatest respect to the First Man crew (as I do to real Apollo 11 crew of course).

Sailor Steve, my Apollo-Soyuz didn't survive the move from Sebezh to Moscow in 1987 unfortuately (( And at that time there wasn't such things as digital photo.. Somehow cardboard models weren't considered more important object to spend the film than views of family lazing on a lake shore or oar-boat trip, or bicycle trip and so on ;-) As for Lunar module - I'll try to find it in my parent's home when I'll be visiting them and make some pics.
Old 07-20-19, 04:13 PM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Aye sir,

We did it.
Old 07-21-19, 05:34 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

First man to the moon was before my time, I was two years old when Apollo 11 happened. The biggest fascination factor in space flight for me was the development and the first take-offs, finally, of the orbiter, the space shuttle, that is for me what for older people around is Apollo 11: the thing in space tech that fascinated me most when I was young.

It always takes courage to go into space, and skill to do so. Beside Apollo and space shuttle lets not forget that it were the Russians being the first in space, on the moon, on Venus, on Mars. And they operated a functional manned space program all the time until today , what cannot be said about the US and Europe and India or anyone. Obviously they know their tech tricks as well.

Apollo 11 is recognised as a lighthouse landmark in the history of technology, but there has been so much more.
Old 07-21-19, 11:50 AM   #19
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

( A little off-topic related comments)

One day in the furture your grand-grand-grand children can celebrate
50 years anniversary for the first man/women on Mars.

(End of off-topic)

The entire night I followed the landing on Danish public tv.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-19, 10:06 AM   #20
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

was almost 14 when it happened. Still remember watching Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon live.

I was a huge fan back then, I had two scrapbooks full of articles from Apollo 7 to 17.

I saw "First Man" last night, excellent movie. You can see why Armstrong was called the "Iceman" and why he was chosen to lead the 1st moon landing.
Old 07-23-19, 01:58 AM   #21
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Armstrong first gained my respect when he over came the problems on Gemini 8, when they were spinning out of control, but he got the thing under control and got them home safe!

On another note, sad to see Chris Kraft has passed away today. He was there from Project Mercury through Apollo. Was 90 years old, may he rest in peace.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-19, 07:26 AM   #22
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Blue Skies

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 09:35 AM   #23
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I'm sure most of us here are familiar with the history of the Eagle landing, the 1201 and 1202 program alarms, landing long, the problems with comms. This video incorporates a lot of great visual aids and data in real time to illustrate the descent to the moon. It is amazing what these guys did, so much info coming in so fast, with so much at stake, all 240,000 miles away in a small craft that had never flown on the moon before. There were many moments in the video I had to pause it just to read and take it all in.

Old 07-27-19, 11:34 AM   #24
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Great video Neal, thanks for the link!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apollo, moon, saturn v