SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-17, 11:09 PM   #1
3kntstonowhere
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default camera glitching

Ok new to the game by three weeks, i am running the game on a 10 year old mac(may be the problem) its a late 2009 model, i am experiencing camera glitching typically when submerged running at any speed or depth when i am panning on a horizontal plane. It then proceeds to sporadically moves on a horizontal plane panning back and forth around the sub roughly clicking through 10 degrees at a time, so it will bounce back and forth between 60 degrees and 70 degrees then move to 70-80 etc etc. it will eventually stop after a undetermined amount of time and the game runs fine for awhile till it flares up again. i am running the game on lowest graphics with most things turned off. As stated i am new to the game and very new to gaming on a mac so i haven't the slightest clue on the cause of this or how to address it.
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256mb with 300GB free on a 500GB hard drive.

Last edited by 3kntstonowhere; 12-23-17 at 06:25 PM.
3kntstonowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 10:51 AM   #2
subcritical
Watch

Downloads: 21

hmm.. I am on a 2014 iMac and don't see this behavior. I would suspect something else. I don't think its due to graphics setting/cpu loading as I run CW with 5,120x2,880 - everything maxed out, HUD at 1.4x, while performing other tasks in the background which take up 95-96% cpu before I even start the game... I don't get any ill effects on the gameplay. 3D view is smooth. I am on the latest version of High Sierra..

Are you on a MacBook or MacBook Air? If so, I could test CW on one of the ones I have. These are 9 and 6 year old models.
subcritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 06:27 PM   #3
3kntstonowhere
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcritical View Post
hmm.. I am on a 2014 iMac and don't see this behavior. I would suspect something else. I don't think its due to graphics setting/cpu loading as I run CW with 5,120x2,880 - everything maxed out, HUD at 1.4x, while performing other tasks in the background which take up 95-96% cpu before I even start the game... I don't get any ill effects on the gameplay. 3D view is smooth. I am on the latest version of High Sierra..

Are you on a MacBook or MacBook Air? If so, I could test CW on one of the ones I have. These are 9 and 6 year old models.

its actually a late 2009 iMac i corrected my post i am not sure whats going on though maybe its another program in the background but it makes it very hard to track torpedoes when the camera is constantly shifting, i plan on investing in a real gaming computer but have not had the funs available.
Old 12-23-17, 09:05 PM   #4
Davy Jones
Nub

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kntstonowhere View Post
its actually a late 2009 iMac i corrected my post i am not sure whats going on though maybe its another program in the background but it makes it very hard to track torpedoes when the camera is constantly shifting, i plan on investing in a real gaming computer but have not had the funs available.
Running a late 2009 Mac Pro with a firmware flash to 2010 specs, Nvidia GTX 980ti and El Capitan. No issues with the camera in CW, but have seen similar issues in other applications.

Tried fixing those issues with upgrades to the video card. Saw a fairly significant frame rate increase (30-40 percent?) when going from a GTX 280 to GTX 780, but only about a 10 percent improvement when upgrading from the 780 to 980ti.

The single largest performance boost came from flashing the 2009 firmware to 2010 specs and replacing the original 2.66Ghz four-core processor with a 3.33Ghz six-core. Also added a PCI bus SSD controller (6Gbit vs standard memory bus 3Gbit data transfer rate) and 6Gbit capable 250Gb SSD at the same time. Roughly speaking, this increased processing power by 50 to 60 percent (minimum)... and decreased startup time to a little over 10 seconds.

Don't know if you can do something similar with an iMac. However, if looking to build a (relatively) inexpensive Mac on a budget, would recommend purchasing a used 2010-2012 Mac Pro with (at least) a 3.33 six core processor, then adding the PCI controller, SSD and used GTX 780 (Mac flashed) or better video card...

Simply put, the 2009 to 2012 Mac Pros are tanks, both easily upgraded and dead reliable in my experience (have two). The other parts are fairly cheap, especially video cards one or two generations old (like the GTX 780 3Mb and GTX 980ti 6Mb cards, and highly recommend getting a video card that has its firmware flashed to be Mac compatible).

Compared to the latest generation Mac Pros, this setup fairs very well as far as performance is concerned and is internally expandable. Altho it isn't the absolute fastest, it's no slouch (for me at least, it's good enough for who it's for) and very cheap by comparison (YMMV).

HTH
Old 12-23-17, 11:28 PM   #5
3kntstonowhere
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jones View Post
Running a late 2009 Mac Pro with a firmware flash to 2010 specs, Nvidia GTX 980ti and El Capitan. No issues with the camera in CW, but have seen similar issues in other applications.

Tried fixing those issues with upgrades to the video card. Saw a fairly significant frame rate increase (30-40 percent?) when going from a GTX 280 to GTX 780, but only about a 10 percent improvement when upgrading from the 780 to 980ti.

The single largest performance boost came from flashing the 2009 firmware to 2010 specs and replacing the original 2.66Ghz four-core processor with a 3.33Ghz six-core. Also added a PCI bus SSD controller (6Gbit vs standard memory bus 3Gbit data transfer rate) and 6Gbit capable 250Gb SSD at the same time. Roughly speaking, this increased processing power by 50 to 60 percent (minimum)... and decreased startup time to a little over 10 seconds.

Don't know if you can do something similar with an iMac. However, if looking to build a (relatively) inexpensive Mac on a budget, would recommend purchasing a used 2010-2012 Mac Pro with (at least) a 3.33 six core processor, then adding the PCI controller, SSD and used GTX 780 (Mac flashed) or better video card...

Simply put, the 2009 to 2012 Mac Pros are tanks, both easily upgraded and dead reliable in my experience (have two). The other parts are fairly cheap, especially video cards one or two generations old (like the GTX 780 3Mb and GTX 980ti 6Mb cards, and highly recommend getting a video card that has its firmware flashed to be Mac compatible).

Compared to the latest generation Mac Pros, this setup fairs very well as far as performance is concerned and is internally expandable. Altho it isn't the absolute fastest, it's no slouch (for me at least, it's good enough for who it's for) and very cheap by comparison (YMMV).

HTH
I am not hugely into computers and modifying them so for me to do that would be a lot to handle even though it may be simple I've never been great with them, yet I will be looking into this and seeing how to possibly upgrade it. Thank you for the great ideas
Old 12-24-17, 02:04 PM   #6
subcritical
Watch

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jones View Post

HTH
Huh, I'm not the only one then... I also have a 2008 Mac Pro which I have installed High Sierra with a SSD (this is actually a non-supported configuration)... The SSD took 8 years off its life! The thing is still a tank today and I still can't believe I could still use it as a daily usage machine.

OP: Sorry I couldn't help you solve your issue.
subcritical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
any help, new guy here