SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-22, 11:22 AM   #1
Stinger22
Watch

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0
Default Return to Nada and no credit for sinking new ships

Have not played SH4 for a long time but thought I would fire it up again. Never had this happen before.

On a mission to East China sea I snuck into the Nada harbor where 6 ships were docked. Took out the destroyer guarding the entry and then took my time to get positions and sank 5 of the ships, the sixth one being untargetable from outside the harbor nor could I get a long range gun hit on it.

So with my torps deplete headed back to Midway to rearm and continue my patrol. Funny thing happened there too. I hit the rearm/refuel then checked and only my reserves had been reloaded. Even though I had automatic reload checked. I had to drag a torp over to a tube and then they started loading them and I had to rearm my reserves again.

Anyway since I had not spent the 5 days in the patrol zone and thinking maybe the Japanese would have sent more ships in I traveled back to Nada. Yep there was a destroyer guarding the entry and 4 ships in port and another sitting in the northern part of harbor. Took out the destroyer and then decided to take out the rouge ship before sinking the ones in port.

Decided to use my gun and save the torp. Kept firing at it from long range getting hits and finally f12 to go take a look and it was sinking. But no announcement about it. It in fact it sank and no sunk ship icon. Checked my records and no credit for it. Noticed not credit for the destroyer either.

Reloaded save game from back when I left Midway and same thing. I read that saving within 25nm or 75nm can make it not give credit but I always save after I sink a ship or some other reason and have never not been given credit. The first attack I saved after every ship I sunk and got full credit for them.

Any ideas?
Stinger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 02:16 PM   #2
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Shallow-water sinkings tend not to be credited if the ship grounds without exploding or cracking in two.

Which isn't unreasonable even if it is unintended. Ships like this could be salvaged and often were.
Old 07-11-22, 04:38 PM   #3
Stinger22
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Shallow-water sinkings tend not to be credited if the ship grounds without exploding or cracking in two.

Which isn't unreasonable even if it is unintended. Ships like this could be salvaged and often were.
The freighter was in deep water, completely under. The destroyer shallower but still completely under.

Patrolling in the target zone in open water trying to find a target to sink and see if I get same results. If I do then no course but to go back to Pearl and end the mission.
Old 07-11-22, 05:43 PM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Don't know if this is the issue BUT.........

I have seen ships go under but not go deep. They kind of floated just under the surface a bit.

If they do that they may not reach crash depth so no points.
Old 07-12-22, 03:22 PM   #5
Stinger22
Watch

Naw, I reloaded my save point just before firing at the freighter in 1000+ fire 3 torps into her and went straight down. I usually get the "she's going down sir" warning before a ship goes under all the way. Don't get that nor the X crossed out ship.

I patrolled last night and by stroke of luck found a spot with TWO convoys one traveling at about 190 degrees and the other about 290 degrees about to cross in 6nm!!! I was able to position myself in that NE corner with my sights on the 290 one but it was getting late so saved for tonight. Will have to see if I get the credits for any hits.
Old 07-21-22, 01:09 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger22 View Post

So with my torps deplete headed back to Midway to rearm and continue my patrol. Funny thing happened there too. I hit the rearm/refuel then checked and only my reserves had been reloaded. Even though I had automatic reload checked. I had to drag a torp over to a tube and then they started loading them and I had to rearm my reserves again.

Any ideas?
since no one addressed this, i'll jump into the shark-infested waters.

the behaviour you describe occurs when your tubes are empty, even if you have auto-load set "on". it is an unexpected, Ubi feature. you applied the proper fix after performing a very important task: confirming that you received the reload of ammo that you were expecting.
never forget that this is an UBI game and all illogic is in play.

also, be aware that not all damage is repaired/repairable when you refit away from Home Base. you may receive verbal and text messages that a piece of equipment has been repaired however there are a number of pieces of undocumented equipment that can be damaged and you are never told about it and can only be repaired when you dock at Home Base and the mission is ended.

good luck, Herr Kaleun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote