SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-10, 01:34 PM   #1
Thomas Kenobi
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default OM Questions and Issues

I recently started using Operation Monsun with SH4 and I noticed some issues that I'd like to ask about. There were quite a few of them so I opted for a new thread instead of posting in the, already cluttered, OM thread.

For all the issues discussed below the following apply:
Timeperiod: Sep 1939 - Jan 1940
Area: Danish Straits, North Sea, Western Approaches
Sub: Type VIIB
Flotilla: 7th

Mods:
RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch1
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
OpMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch1
Spaxs SH4 Uboat SPEECH FIX_V8
Csengoi's EnemiesOfGermany

Issues:
1). Patrol Orders. When given the order to patrol a specific zone, either in the initial briefing or via a radio message, the patrol icon on the nav map does not correspond with the patrol grid coords given in the text. e.g. The patrol order might instruct the sub to patrol AL39, but the patrol icon (binoculars in front of a star) would be over AL62.
This is not a big issue, except with respect to knowing where I'm supposed to patrol (i.e. where I'm more likely to find enemy convoys).

2). Periscope Depth. Periscope depth is currently set to 14m. However, the periscope itself is only 15m and thus sitting only 1m over the water line, any kind of swell is enough to bring the head under water. Setting the depth manually to 11m does improve things, but the hydrophones don't appear to be working at that depth.
I don't know the actual data about periscope depth and periscope length for a type VIIB, but I don't remember the periscope head being so close to the water surface in SH3.

3). Recognition Manual. Several of the new entries in the recognition manual don't have 0 and 45 degree mugshots. I suspect this is due to a lack of available data, but I thought I'd mention it for the sake of thoroughness.

4). Radio Reports. Whenever I receive a report about an enemy taskforce, the taskforce course is missing. e.g. One of the reports I have received:

To: U-49
Contact Reported. Enemy Task Force , Grid AE 61 , Course , Speed 16 knots!

5). Periscope Lock. I'm encountering the same problem with periscope lock breaking, that other have reported. It's not a big deal and it only seems to happen at ranges over 5000m, but it's there.

6). This one is not an issue, but rather a question. I have had considerable difficulty with the new merchant ship types in the game. Specifically, I find there are far too many of them, that look very much alike, and consequently this forces me to pause the game, while browsing through the long recognition manual list. Is there an option to consolidate this to a subset of the currently available merchant ships?

PS: Just to be clear. I'm not whining about the mod. OM is a great piece of work and kudos to lurker_hlb3 for developing it.
Old 02-14-10, 10:00 AM   #2
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Issue 1: From the Readme in the first post of the OM thread:

Quote:
10.KM Grids: As the locations of the objectives in the OM campaign aren't 100% accurate either, in about 1/3 of the missions the objective location isn't in the right grid (although they are never far apart).

The grid is only really inaccurate in weirdly shaped grids, which are AM, AN and AO, and small sections of AD, AJ, AK, BF and CH. All other grids are pretty much on the correct location.
Issue 2: As designed

Issue 3: As designed

Issue 4: OM does not change the “menu.txt” file that control these messages. You can file your complaint in the RFB thread.

Issue 5: As designed, no lock on over 4000 meters

Issue 6: No
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 10:02 AM   #3
Thomas Kenobi
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Duly noted. Thank you for the response.