Closed Thread

Old 12-08-10, 12:49 PM   #151
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
But we do let them join forums and so they can join and participate in this VERY DISCUSSION, and I can only imagine that they'd pick my side.
They'd pick your side for exactly the reason razark stated - they have no understanding of how the real world works.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 12-08-10, 12:51 PM   #152
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
They'd pick your side for exactly the reason razark stated - they have no understanding of how the real world works.
In the real world colleges don't require school uniforms. Your logic is flawed.

Old 12-08-10, 12:54 PM   #153
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I'm just saying, you can't compare the poor to the middle and upper classes. Just like you can't compare the middle to the upper class.

We're not talking about tax brackets, we're discussing uniform policy. Apples and oranges.

A student is a student is a student. Regardless of income bracket, teenagers are going to be teenagers. Distractions are distractions. Cliques are cliques. Geographic location/income differentials will play in the population count of each clique...but they're going to be there.

The advent of a uniform policy defends against the outward display of clique affiliation (being an intern in the police department of the city I attend college at, I think "gang affiliation"); cutting down on propensity for distraction in the form of scuffles or heated argument/verbal disagreements. It can also be argued that a uniform policy would protect against the possibility of teachers showing preference for upper-class students...the difference would be less obvious because everyone would be wearing the same clothes, same colors. Because, let's face it, most of us tend to think more highly of well-dressed individuals, no?
Old 12-08-10, 12:54 PM   #154
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
In the real world colleges don't require school uniforms. Your logic is flawed.
In the real world you'd never have to worry about what colleges do or don't require if you believe high school is for "chillin with friends" instead of learning.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 12-08-10, 12:55 PM   #155
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb View Post

We're not talking about tax brackets, we're discussing uniform policy. Apples and oranges.

A student is a student is a student. Regardless of income bracket, teenagers are going to be teenagers. Distractions are distractions. Cliques are cliques. Geographic location/income differentials will play in the population count of each clique...but they're going to be there.

The advent of a uniform policy defends against the outward display of clique affiliation (being an intern in the police department of the city I attend college at, I think "gang affiliation"); cutting down on propensity for distraction in the form of scuffles or heated argument/verbal disagreements. It can also be argued that a uniform policy would protect against the possibility of teachers showing preference for upper-class students...the difference would be less obvious because everyone would be wearing the same clothes, same colors. Because, let's face it, most of us tend to think more highly of well-dressed individuals, no?
The poor people have school uniforms usually because they can't afford clothing.

Old 12-08-10, 12:55 PM   #156
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
In the real world you'd never have to worry about what colleges do or don't require if you believe high school is for "chillin with friends" instead of learning.
Few things of value are learned from classes in high school.

Old 12-08-10, 12:57 PM   #157
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Quote:
The poor people have school uniforms usually because they can't afford clothing.
Nice attempt at the use of ethos/pathos. Unfortunately it's ineffective...don't use the suffering of others to mask your own interests.
Old 12-08-10, 01:00 PM   #158
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb View Post
Nice attempt at the use of ethos/pathos. Unfortunately it's ineffective...don't use the suffering of others to mask your own interests.
It's the truth. I learned in it fashion class at school. As you claim, things are learned. And apparently you think everything in school is right, so I'm using your own argument against you.

Old 12-08-10, 01:03 PM   #159
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Quote:
It's the truth. I learned in it fashion class at school. As you claim, things are learned. And apparently you think everything in school is right, so I'm using your own argument against you.

Please quote where I said "everything in school is right". Or where I implied that. I simply understand that academic forums are simply that...academic forums. We don't learn by having things spewed at us, we learn through discourse and rhetoric. Uniforms simply level the playing field of the forum. Those who can't hang will raise cane about it "killing the individual".

And I really don't care what you learned in fashion class. Neither should you since "few things of value" are learned through high school courses. And you tend to be arguing that "nothing in school is right" if you'll allow me to make assumptions as you have.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter if uniforms exist or not. I certainly HOPE that by the time I have kids and they're going to school, it's a fixture. If not, that's fine too. Those who want to learn will learn, those who don't will focus on the minutiae.
Old 12-08-10, 01:04 PM   #160
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
Few things of value are learned from classes in high school.
Put that on your college application and see how far it gets you. Better yet, put it on your job application under the "Education" section and see how far that gets you.

Old 12-08-10, 01:06 PM   #161
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

You want a really good laugh?

Print this thread out, or just save it on your computer, and look at it in 2, 5, and ten years.
Old 12-08-10, 01:12 PM   #162
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Quote:
Put that on your college application and see how far it gets you. Better yet, put it on your job application under the "Education" section and see how far that gets you.

Old 12-08-10, 01:31 PM   #163
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102

Quote:
But we do let them join forums and so they can join and participate in this VERY DISCUSSION, and I can only imagine that they'd pick my side.
I'm 18 also, and reading the sh!t you're spewing makes me realize why most people on internet forums think teens are such angsty gits. Man get a grip on reality outside of your own little world and grow up.

Edit: And quit using double posts to get your post count up.. makes your trolling even more obvious. There's a edit function for a reason
Old 12-08-10, 01:40 PM   #164
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
And you think that school is for chillin' and sex [with minors]. It is a perfect illustration of why China is the future, and why I was born in a first-world nation and will likely die in a third-world nation; all without ever going through a naturalization process.
Old 12-08-10, 01:48 PM   #165
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Quote:
I speak English, German, Spanish, and I'm learning Lithuanian.
Please back up your claim. Care to translate this sentence into English?
Der Läufer stolperter über den Läufer im Gang.

If you can point out the spelling error, you'll get an extra point. If you don't answer I will assume that you are fake.

Cheers,
Penguin
Closed Thread