SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-14, 09:06 PM   #1201
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

That reminds me, by the way, of something that I'd come across not too long ago from a Russian study - I can't track it down again, and take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but...

A large-scale DNA analysis study run by a Russian research team (with international collaboration) found a few interesting things about Russians and their genetic relationships to the peoples around them. One of their conclusions was, predictably, that eastern Ukrainians are identical to Russians as far as the gene pool goes. What's more, there was not a distinct Ukrainian type found - rather, there were 3 or 4, and they largely matched their Polish, Lithuanian or Romanian neighbours, depending on where they lived. The more intriguing finding, though, was about the Russian genetic type - they suggested that despite all the pan-Slavism that Russian nationalists are all about, in fact Russians are not a Slavic peoples at all; that is, that they bear very little genetic resemblance to Poles, Czechs, Serbs, etc. and even Ukrainians (besides those in the east). It also found that the influence of Tatars and other Turkic peoples on Russian genetics has been greatly exaggarated. Instead, the finding was that ethnic Russians were, effectively, a Uralic peoples - and their closest genetic relatives were in fact the Finns. Everybody else was a distant relation at best.

So there's that. I'll try again to track down that source but certainly throws more cogs into nationalist politics on all sides here

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:21 AM   #1202
Tribesman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
And that is based on what?
That is based on the rationale that when your argument has been shown to be totally without merit and you have then resorted to making up "facts" which are easily exposed as false, "logic" suggests that the only course open to a certain mindset is to make up more ludicrous "facts" and padding it out with meaningless waffle instead of going "oops I was wrong"

Quote:
I think particularly as far as Georgia, that's kind of ludicrous. Something tells me you don't know a whole lot about Georgian culture or history
That deduction isn't exactly rocket science.
Old 06-01-14, 10:29 AM   #1203
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Meanwhile in Germany...

Oh wait...that's Brazil...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 12:52 PM   #1204
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ i thought they were british tourists, in Munich
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 01:21 PM   #1205
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
There is a definite similarity!
Old 06-01-14, 01:54 PM   #1206
jokker
Watch

Downloads: 41

This sort of "research" is all too often misdirected and used to justify so many unjust, immoral policies. From the concept of superior "aryan" race to other forms of ethnic cleansing. etc. This dangerous jingoistic methodology is the seed of conflict.

The melting pot of America should have demonstrated any race superiority concept is entirely disproven other than as a rally cry of those who are working to tap into the insecurities of nationalism.

The root of many if not most wars.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
That reminds me, by the way, of something that I'd come across not too long ago from a Russian study - I can't track it down again, and take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but...

A large-scale DNA analysis study run by a Russian research team (with international collaboration) found a few interesting things about Russians and their genetic relationships to the peoples around them. One of their conclusions was, predictably, that eastern Ukrainians are identical to Russians as far as the gene pool goes. What's more, there was not a distinct Ukrainian type found - rather, there were 3 or 4, and they largely matched their Polish, Lithuanian or Romanian neighbours, depending on where they lived. The more intriguing finding, though, was about the Russian genetic type - they suggested that despite all the pan-Slavism that Russian nationalists are all about, in fact Russians are not a Slavic peoples at all; that is, that they bear very little genetic resemblance to Poles, Czechs, Serbs, etc. and even Ukrainians (besides those in the east). It also found that the influence of Tatars and other Turkic peoples on Russian genetics has been greatly exaggarated. Instead, the finding was that ethnic Russians were, effectively, a Uralic peoples - and their closest genetic relatives were in fact the Finns. Everybody else was a distant relation at best.

So there's that. I'll try again to track down that source but certainly throws more cogs into nationalist politics on all sides here

Last edited by jokker; 06-02-14 at 09:10 AM.
jokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 01:57 PM   #1207
Oberon
Lucky Jack

DNA is DNA, nationalism or no nationalism...
Old 06-01-14, 03:28 PM   #1208
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Yeah, trust me, I would be about the last person to make nationalist arguments and I agree that nationalism is a terrible plague that's largely to blame for what's going on in the Ukraine right now. That said, I think there's something quite different to be read into those kinds of findings - namely that there's a lot of caveats and ironies in the ethnic and national picture, and a lot of arguments made by nationalists are plain silly because there really isn't much of a basis to go on, culturally or genetically. And as someone of Russian-German-Finnish-Swedish-Ukrainian-Tatar-Gypsy-Jewish-Turkish-Everything-Else background (in that order), I'm pretty sure I know that better than most people, myself

Plus, grains of salt to be taken as required with that one.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 03:40 PM   #1209
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I have always wondered, what makes a nation.

A certain belonging to 'race', or genetics ?
A certain belief, or spirit ?

Or isn't it a mere chance, an accidental 'fortune' that you are born 20 km west or east of a 'line', created by military a$$holes some centuries or decades ago? And you are just thrown in by chance ?

I had high hopes in the late eighties, that "nations" would become a thing of the past, and all would be about science, going to space and let all this bull behind, trying to face other threats.

Unfortunately we had to witness that the glorious western ideas of the pre-1989 times were completely overthrown by its own (former) supporting nations, who carry on like in the best cold war times, acting similar to those nations they had criticised before.

It seems the ideas were only propaganda, instrumentalising certain generations against certain evil other nations.

"I have seen the enemy and he is us."

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 04:46 AM   #1210
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Looking at that guys dress sense and the flowers in his hair, I would say a denite Suffolkite

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 06:55 AM   #1211
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Looking at that guys dress sense and the flowers in his hair, I would say a denite Suffolkite
Well, at least he's vertical and not crawling on all fours, so that rules out someone from Newcastle.
Old 06-02-14, 07:31 AM   #1212
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Cucumbers FTW:

Though some prefer oranges:
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 08:20 AM   #1213
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Well, at least he's vertical and not crawling on all fours, so that rules out someone from Newcastle.
LOL...only way you can find the taxi fare home at the end of the night

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 08:46 AM   #1214
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
I have always wondered, what makes a nation.
In the U.N. charter which provides for the right of a people to self-determination, the definition is deliberately vague, most likely because no one can agree on a definition.

I would think that most people would agree that a "nation" is a group of people sharing a common language, common culture, common religion, shared history, defined territory.

The problem is, of course, that basically none of the 190 countries in the world are "pure" nations, all have ethnic, religious, linguistic minorities.

The concept of a "nation" is also a very recent phenomenon. You go back 250 years to the Seven Years War and all European Armies were like professional hockey teams with officers/soldiers from many different countries. Their loyalty was a personal one to the King they were serving, it did not matter where they came from, so one of the top Prussian general, James Keith, was a Scot who had previously served in the Spanish and Russian Army. Laudon, one of the better Austrian general, was born in present-day Latvia (then part of Sweden) and had previously served in the Russian Army.

You could also argue that the concept of a "nation" only came about after the introduction of compulsory education. You go back a few hundred years in France and each region had its own language or "Patois". It is only after a standard french started to be taught all over France that the concept of a French Nation comes to the fore.

In other words, a "Nation" is a purely artificial and recent concept.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 06-02-14 at 09:17 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 05:10 AM   #1215
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-0...kraine/5510280
Putin must be shaking in his boots!
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nato, putin, ukraina, ukraine, ukrajna