SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-23, 07:01 PM   #1
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default flight sim hardware

Hello everyone,

I have been out of flight sims for about ten years and want to get back in. Will be flying in IL-2 Stormovik. My computer is about ten years old and I will be getting a new one, configured to meet the specs of IL-2 at a high level, if not the highest. Looking at the following for computer specs:I
ntel core i7 13th gen CPU ,Motherboard with Intel Z790 Chipset,48 GB of ram, 1 TB SSD, 750 watt power supply
Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti video card, Mid tower case,Windows 11

If you see anything there that will be problematic please let me know.

Originally I was determined to get into VR, but then I realized that in VR you cannot see the keyboard, so now I am looking at head and eye tracking, which seems to be a good compromise. If anyone has any comments as to the pros and cons of headtracking I would appreciate it.
My version of Il-2 is old, I assume we can simply the flight controls to minimize the need for the keyboard. What flight controllers would be recommended ? If there is a way to simplify the flight controls so that they can be done with HOTAS stick and throttle, that would allow me to get into VR. Otherwise, I would be OK with head tracking.

I am NOT a techie, and at age 70 not likely to become one, so I need a setup that will be as simple and close to plug and play as possible!

Thanks for your help, looking forward to getting back into itI

Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-23, 10:22 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

On the VR- induced "blindness" for your hardware keyboard, this can be bypassed by using a cleverly mapped HOTAS, maybe plus button box. There are players playing DCS titles this way, and DCS was not even made for VR. MSFS also works in VR.

Flight sims go to "flightsim title squared" when used with VR.

You wrote "48 GB RAM". Any title out there that uses this much RAM? Some years ago I went (for W10) from 16 to 32 GB due to video editing, and the videos sometimes were 2 hours long and had 50-100GB. I never needed it, and I think I never saw the RAM usage going beyond 12-13 RAM in video editing or in any simulation - I could have saved my money there.
Old 11-20-23, 11:39 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Keeping things basic, the first FS thing to consider is your joystick.

https://www.newegg.com/black-logitec...82E16826102204

Forty bucks gets you a lot of functionality. I used a link to NewEgg but you can find this controller pretty much everywhere. Its also one of the least bulky solutions unless you're building a dedicated game room.

The one downside to the Extrema 3D Pro is the construction of the handle.
Over time it will feel like its wearing out but the plastic parts just get loose and you need to reseat them. Learning the tricks to taking the handle apart and re-building it will pay off. I have two of these controllers. I swap them out when one of them starts to get sloppy then I do a re-build and set it aside until its brother starts to wear out.

Your CPU might be over-kill.
Keeping in mind that over 90% of the games out there only use a single CPU core, its better to find the fastest stock clock speed. Try to get as close to 4 Gigahertz (or faster) as you can and try to avoid over-clocking (IMO). Your CPU clock is the key to faster graphics since its the source of everything.

As far as RAM, this is where I dis-agree with SKY (as I often do).
RAM in North America is pretty cheap. If you plan to run more than one stick of RAM, try to keep them identical. More RAM gets you more time in your sim. BTW, try to avoid "gaming" hardware like its got COVID. In most cases "gaming" just means it looks pretty and it will fail faster.

If I'm looking for a new desktop PC, I like to start looking for "back to school specials" or pre-built PCs for home business. They are more than enough in most cases but you can also add new hardware as you need it.

What I would suggest is to build your new system backwards. Start with the display, what do you want versus what do you REALLY need? Running an eight foot wide 4K display sounds great BUT its going to take up a LOT of space when you aren't gaming. Really high resolution displays also require really high priced graphics cards.

Find a display that fits your room and life style THEN build your system to that.

I touched on "gaming hardware" earlier. Like I said, try to avoid it. Do you REALLY need 2,000 blinking LEDs when you're just trying to shoot down the ###hole in your sights? Wouldn't all that crap just be a distraction?
Will your neighbors think you have a large Christmas tree set up all year long when they walk past your windows?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-23, 08:21 PM   #4
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

People can get very snobbish about joysticks, even mentioning the Logitech Extreme Pro on a Falcon 4.0 forum will get you horribly ridiculed however that's what I got.

I found a great mount for it

Hikig Steel Clamp-on Joystick Mount Designed ONLY for Logitech G Extreme 3D PRO Joystick for Windows, Adjustable Durable Steel Desk Mount Holder for Flight Joystick (Flight Joystick Not Included)
https://www.amazon.com/Joystick-Comp...s%2C134&sr=8-5

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-23, 12:35 AM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
even mentioning the Logitech Extreme Pro on a Falcon 4.0 forum will get you horribly ridiculed
Honestly, I don't understand that.
The Logitech unit will hold up for over two to three years before you need to reseat the switches. I've had more expensive 'sticks fail a lot faster than that and they couldn't be repaired.

Ask them how many times a year they have to rebuild or replace their rudder pedals.
Old 11-22-23, 05:53 AM   #6
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

23% off Black Friday deal on Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pr...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-23, 05:26 PM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

I don't need a third 3D Pro, but that price is very tempting.