SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-08, 10:11 AM   #451
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
OLC, do the degree marks on the OBS scope crosshair correspond to the marks on the wiz wheel in the attack scope? In otherwords, can I transfer measurments from the higher magnification OBS scope and use them with the wiz wheel?
No. Each mark in the attack scope is 1 degree. Each mark in the obs scope is half a degree. You can do the arithmetic and transfer between the scopes if you really want, though doing so somewhat defeats the purpose of installing the mod.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the black marks along the top/side of the scopes, not the blue/red/yellow/green marks on the Range/AOB Finder.
Old 05-01-08, 10:22 AM   #452
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81
Noticed a couple small items since installing 2.0.1...

1) When clicking in the "quick-assignment" buttons in the crew management screen (surfaced cruise, submerged attack, etc...), I've noticed since upgrading to 2.0.1 that these seem to have lost function or at best are working erratically, and on more than one occasion in the last 4 hours clicking on one has led to CTD. I'm not sure if any changes were made to the files responsible for these, but I've not changed any other part of my installation other than replacing 1.8 (1 and 2) with 2.0.1 1 and 2, but not 3).

As has been noted by other players, these buttons were bugged since stock.

2) In the Nav map screen (sorry to come back to this again...), the small black marks that now represent ships are nearly invisible in the middle zoom levels. Perhaps they could be made to maintain a standard size across the zoom levels like the previous ship boxes and diamonds did? But, I must say I'm very pleased with the new bearing dial in place of my sub circle, I've already found it to be incredibly usefull, especially considering the GWX took away the directional trails for map contacts.

This is a consequence of the realistic map contact update changes. In 2.0.1 I separated parts of those changes into a third modlet (OLC Realistic Map Contact Updates) so that people wouldn't be forced to use them, but the problem you describe is the price to be paid by the people that choose not to. I'm sorry but, as ever, I am unwilling to start making and maintaining multiple versions of my mods to suit the vast array of different playing styles. Besides, the "small icons" are not a major problem IMO.

Thanks,
Greg
Answers above, Greg.
Cheers.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-01-08 at 10:44 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 10:33 AM   #453
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
@OLC

I've not loaded 2.0 yet but your logic sounds good, i'm glad you're appreciative of the need for situational awareness without GPS map updates. I was using the Modified Map Updates mod which basicly revealed a circle when you hovered your mouse in the vacinity of the ship on which your periscope was locked. This would mean you would have to get range and bearing and roughly plot it on the map to find the map point where the ship should be, hovering over this point revealed a circle which disapeared if you moved your mouse away. This might help Greg, or those trying to get to grips with the more realistic map updates, as it acts as confirmation that you've got the plot right.

Then again, maybe they should just work harder :rotfl:
I didn't know about that "Modified Map Updates" mod but from your description it sounds similar to one of the ideas I played around with. My problem with that solution was simply that the circle was far too accurate for my liking. You can just zoom right in on it and slap down a Marker in the middle of the cirlce and you have the ship position accurate to like 3 feet. I don't like having the option to do that. I find a missed torpedo to be much too frustrating if I know I could have guaranteed a hit by "cheating" on the navmap, so I've tried to find a solution for map contacts which doesn't have any "cheats".

I did actually discover one cheat since posting 2.0.1, and the fix for it means losing map contacts from the F6 attack map altogether, but I doubt anyone will really miss those.
Old 05-01-08, 10:38 AM   #454
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal101
Well here goes I hope I am not repeating a previous question.

I love the difference in graphic quality of this mod, but am having difficulty learning the TDC. I know there is a video tutorial but its difficult to refer to the tute when your in the game, is there an up to date, step by step walkthrough that can be printed and refered to when in game?

Failing that I found it very useful in the stock game to perform manual targetting and then check my results by asking the weapons officer, over time I got better at it and eventually wnet manual fulltime. I love the look and feel of the OLC but find it very difficult to keep track of I wonder if there is a way to do as above I learn and then test my computations bu asking the weapons officer.

I know this might horrify some realists but well I too want ot learn this thing so I can go 100%

Regards
Rascal
Rascal, there aren't any walkthroughs for OLC GUI Special, and the player-made walkthroughs for OLC GUI v1.2.3 are not correct for OLC GUI Special. Maybe you should be the first to make a new one?

Doing some training missions and checking your results with the WO is a very good idea IMO and it's actually how I learned to use the tools. To enable the WO's "solution to target" command (for training purposes only, of course ) just assign a keyboard shortcut to it.
Old 05-01-08, 10:40 AM   #455
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
OLC is the man.

:rotfl:
Old 05-01-08, 11:50 AM   #456
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the black marks along the top/side of the scopes, not the blue/red/yellow/green marks on the Range/AOB Finder.
Is there an interger/half interger ratio between the black marks along the top/side of the scope and colored marks on the Range/AOB finder?
Old 05-01-08, 12:08 PM   #457
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Is there an interger/half interger ratio between the black marks along the top/side of the scope and colored marks on the Range/AOB finder?
IIRC 1 marking line in the attack scope = 2 marking lines in the Range/AOB Finder.
But, wouldn't it be easier for you to just turn off manual targetting?
Old 05-01-08, 01:04 PM   #458
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

I want to target manually, but I want to be able to accurately estimate the distance and AOB of a target that is more distant than the zoom level of the new attack periscope allows. If I know that the marks in the OBS scope logically corespond to the marks on the range/AOB finder in the attack scope, then I can take the measurments from the OBS scope and use the wiz wheel to do the math. All manual, just want to maximize my ability to target distant ships.
Old 05-01-08, 02:07 PM   #459
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello OLC,
i am getting used to the new manual targeting, it's a lot of fun ! Still have to practise with the attack disk :hmm:

Only thing i would like to change is the one-sight-only deck gun, where you do not even have the original binoculars for adjusting range.
Is this deck gun magnification coupled to the magnification in the periscope (attack and observe one), and does not work because it is turned off here ?

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 08:45 PM   #460
Marko_Ramius
Frogman

Downloads: 109

My god, Ver. 2.01

Are you crazy/bionic man ? :rotfl: :rotfl:

1.8 is considered finish :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously, OLC -->

The work on map contact is absolutely something i was waiting ; This is great. I wil try that soon.

If i understood well, the contact map moddlet can not be used without OLC GUI ?
Marko_Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 08:48 PM   #461
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko_Ramius
If i understood well, the contact map moddlet can not be used without OLC GUI ?
Specifically, it cannot be used without OLC GUI Special. Details are in the included readme.
P.S. 1.8 was finished, in a way. 2.01 adds a new optional mod. There are no changes to OLCE2, and the only change to OLC GUI Special is something to make it compatible with OLC Realistic Map Contact Updates! :p

Edit: Actually that little OLC Realistic Map Contact Updates mod (god that's a lot to type... OLCRMCU? :hmm: ) should work, more or less, with the normal GWX GUI if you use that. But it won't work with OLC GUI v1.2.3.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-01-08 at 09:12 PM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 10:31 PM   #462
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200

I didnt think you could get info frm the WO, if I click on him currently with OLC activated all he does is identify they target, no firing solution is availiable. Or have I indeed missed something fundamental?

Also

I have missed something, how can I make it so I can get a firing sollution and assign a short cut key as you suggest.

Sorry, If I seem a bit technically chellenged, its because I am!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal101
Well here goes I hope I am not repeating a previous question.

I love the difference in graphic quality of this mod, but am having difficulty learning the TDC. I know there is a video tutorial but its difficult to refer to the tute when your in the game, is there an up to date, step by step walkthrough that can be printed and refered to when in game?

Failing that I found it very useful in the stock game to perform manual targetting and then check my results by asking the weapons officer, over time I got better at it and eventually wnet manual fulltime. I love the look and feel of the OLC but find it very difficult to keep track of I wonder if there is a way to do as above I learn and then test my computations bu asking the weapons officer.

I know this might horrify some realists but well I too want ot learn this thing so I can go 100%

Regards
Rascal
Rascal, there aren't any walkthroughs for OLC GUI Special, and the player-made walkthroughs for OLC GUI v1.2.3 are not correct for OLC GUI Special. Maybe you should be the first to make a new one?

Doing some training missions and checking your results with the WO is a very good idea IMO and it's actually how I learned to use the tools. To enable the WO's "solution to target" command (for training purposes only, of course ) just assign a keyboard shortcut to it.
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 02:38 AM   #463
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale
I guess JScones was right huh. 2.0 before he gets back friday! :rotfl:
Well I could have named it 1.9 just to prove the naysayers wrong but, nah!

I actually thought that I'd come back to a "v1.10" with a "nah nah" comment from you, LOL!

Thanks for the d/l.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 02:40 AM   #464
balto63
Helmsman

Downloads: 57
Default Use of u-boot skin with this mode

If I want to use skin like Wolfehunter's one can I use it ?
I try with JSME but it warned me that a file has been yet modifed by Ubermod;

Hi to all Kaleuns

Last edited by balto63; 05-02-08 at 03:11 AM.
balto63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 04:34 AM   #465
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale
I guess JScones was right huh. 2.0 before he gets back friday! :rotfl:
Well I could have named it 1.9 just to prove the naysayers wrong but, nah!

I actually thought that I'd come back to a "v1.10" with a "nah nah" comment from you, LOL!
Damnit, why didn't I think of that!?