SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-13, 03:43 PM   #1
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Switching single contact reports off

Hello, I'd like to ask if anyone knows how to disable those single merchant contact reports that randomly appear in the vicinity of my U-boat but don't show up among the radio messages. I read somewhere these contact reports aren't historically accurate plus they make hunting much easier especially in bad weather when detecting ships would be much more challenging. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-13, 04:35 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

If you set these values to something really small I think you'll get what you want. I don't know specifically what "Opportunity" and "Important" are in the game though. Just that these values determine the size of area around you within these map contacts are shown. One of them might be the convoy icons.

SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg\contacts.cfg

Display Range To Opportunity Radio Contacts=750 ;[>0] kilometers
Display Range To Important Radio Contacts=750 ;[>0] kilometers
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 06:06 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I use this program. Like SH3 Commander and SH3 Weather, it works outside the game to allow adjustment of all contact parameters. It seems to be almost infinitely variable.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3780
Old 02-16-13, 04:34 AM   #4
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you for the quick answers!
Pisces, I think "Opportunity" is for the single merchant contacts while "Important" might be the convoy contacts because the latter has a greater value and iirc convoys are sometimes reported from greater distance than single merchants.
Sailor Steve, I downloaded the program and found it more than satisfying but I'd like to ask if there's an incompatibility issue with any mods, fixes or other programs like SH3 Commander or h.sie's Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for sh3.exe.
Old 02-16-13, 08:50 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by allievo View Post
Thank you for the quick answers!
Pisces, I think "Opportunity" is for the single merchant contacts while "Important" might be the convoy contacts because the latter has a greater value and iirc convoys are sometimes reported from greater distance than single merchants. ...
Probably, I never did much testing to see what is different about them. I just wanted to extend the area in which these reports were given. Because I want to make the decision on whether I can get to them, rather than BdU making that call for me.

The frequency and probability of these reports can be set in the unit properties in the mission/campaign editor. Each unit has a probability and frequency value that determines how often a report can be given. If you are in the vicinity of them to receive it is another matter. But it would be a major task to modify the campaign to only allow convoys to be reported, or reduce the frequency/probability of single units.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contact, radio message, report, single merchant