SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-17, 03:06 PM   #20
Ansgar Burkhard
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_469 View Post
"In the first half of 1969, an experimental Soks "Snegir" was installed on it. In September-October of the same year, as part of the Pacific Fleet exercises, the boat was engaged in the search and tracking of the US Navy's nuclear submarines in the Philippine Sea and on approaches to Fr. Guam. K-14 managed to track one of the ships of the probable enemy with the help of this system for almost 40 days. Due to this success, Soks "Snegir" was developed and subsequently one of its modifications was installed on domestic third-generation nuclear submarines."
K-14 is submarine project 627A (NATO - November). It was US submarine "Benjamin Franklin" class. Our sub start tracking when US sub go from Guam and continue before US sub return to Guam base.

It is 1969 year. First non acoustic system. During this patrol "K-14" few times go to US sub for acoustic contact. "K-14" not need acoustic contact with US sub and know where US sub was.

Yes, as I suspected they picked up a trail bear a bas where it is expected for a submarine to try and leave. As I said, SOKS research, although largely dismissed in the West until very recently, is still classified by the Russian authorities. I would love to get my hands on it. If you have more info from Russian sources on wake detection please feel free to post it.
Ansgar Burkhard is offline   Reply With Quote