Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-21, 10:08 PM   #1
PiedrA1650
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Impossible. I just cannot evade destroyers...

Hi everyone. I'm playing SH5 with TWoS, manual targeting, everything is set to the "hard way" except from map contacts, which I do have set to "on". The problem I have is the following:

I find a reaaaally nice convoy, plenty of big ships. Once I've launched my last torpedo I start to dive and go silent running while turning away from my "firing position". I hit 3 of my 4 torpedoes and three destroyers start looking for me (it was night time and one of my torpedoes was a steam one) so they go to the place where the torpedo came from.

Meanwhile I'm 90m deep at 1kn completely silent. They arrive to the area, everything's fine, I made no noise, they shoudn't know if it was fired from 1000m or 5000m. For some reason they guess where I am and start pinging me. From what I've learned, once they've pinged you, they know exactly where you are, so you better get out of there.
I go maximum speed and hard port (or starboard) to change my heading until they stop pinging, then I go to silent running again.
They start to drop some depthcharges on me which I dodge by turning and speeding, then I go to silent running again.
I keep doing this for like one real hour until they start to get REALLY accurate, they don't let me go anywhere, they're constantly pinging, they keep dropping depthcharges just where I am, I cannot really do anything, I try to dodge them but they ALWAYS hit me eventually, doesn't matter if I accelerate, I turn, or I do a barrel roll.

I'm starting to get really frustrated as I kind of dominate the firing aspect of it (I've hit pretty tricky shots) but I just cannot evade destroyers at all, they always get me, and once I get hit once I just lose all hope, my boat starts to lose all fuel and battery and I cannot even surface it.

So, hard turning doesn't work, speeding doesn't work, turning all engines off and being 100% silent doesn't work, they always start pinging in the correct place and eventually hit me with a depthcharge.
Any tips on how I can lose them? What am I doing wrong?
Thank you so much, and I apologize, because I guess this is a pretty common question.
PiedrA1650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destroyers, help!