SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-13, 11:36 AM   #1
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Default {Req} AI sub AA guns shoot ships

I know this has been discussed before, but got to be a way to make your subs AA gun fire at enemy ships, instead of only planes. I think a fair balance would be the 40's, leaving the 20's for planes. The enemy machine guns certainly will shoot the heck out of you. I know many of us don't mess with planes and would rather have the AI use the 40's to shoot at ships, even if we lose the AA ability.

I looked a tad at the files, but hoping you many ship builders know the easy answer. Can the ID be changed to make it a wpncannon, what?

I think this would be a great mod if someone knows how to do it.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 11:56 AM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

are you sure? I thought if you surfaced and shot at it they would return fire or maybe just if you surfaced they would fire at you.

cant say I ever saw them fire at other ships though
Old 09-02-13, 12:14 PM   #3
bloopgun
Watch

Downloads: 38

Hell yea the enemy AI will spray you with mg fire. And yes I am sure you can modify the AA guns to be normal cannons, as I have seen the reverse happen. (p.schiff mod uses the 5mm dp guns as aa, but cannot switch back and forth, koening mod uses the 88mm as AA).
bloopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 12:20 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
are you sure? I thought if you surfaced and shot at it they would return fire or maybe just if you surfaced they would fire at you.

cant say I ever saw them fire at other ships though
Well, the enemy will fire it's machine guns at you, just want my sub AI to shoot back at them. Seems you could rename or ID the 40's to work as cannons. I was testing some, but my gaming PC blew the PS, so got to get another one tomorrow. I never messed much with this, but got to be a way, just hoping someone already knows, hate to spend hours trying to figure it out if it can't be done.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 01:50 PM   #5
chris455
A-ganger

Downloads: 97

A worthy endeavor, as AA ordnance was used far more often against surface targets than aircraft in any case.
chris455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 02:06 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Indeed, as with the magnificent 88 flak cannon, mounted in the tiger tank after its usefulness against tanks was discovered. Flat trajectory and high velocity have practical applications...everywhere!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 03:47 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

I would be okay with ALL flak guns being converted to use for surface targets that way when you battle surface, your sub is something to worry about with deck gun plus the 20's and 40's. such a huge oversight by the devs not making them truly multi purpose. Hopefully someone can solve this.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote