SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-10, 08:11 AM   #361
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
Uploads: 0
WOLF PACK

WOLF PACK

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13729308/W...n-World-War-II#

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 18, 2009

SCRIBD.COM - Is Copyright Infringement Their Business Model and Are You a Victim, Too? By Wilfried F. Voss
printable version | html .fb_share_link { padding:2px 0 0 20px; height:16px; background:url(http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/...h/ya8q506x.gif) no-repeat top left; }Share on Facebook

There has been a great deal of commotion about Google's controversial and potentially anti-competitive plans to digitalize millions of books, or the pricing war going on between Walmart, Target, and Amazon. It is surprising that only little attention has been paid to an even greater threat to authors and publishers by Scribd.com, a web site allowing the distribution of copyrighted documents, including digitalized versions of popular works such as J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard.
J.K. Rowling used the power of her legal team to have her works removed, but her focus was the protection of her intellectual property, not the financial damage. While big publishing houses or successful authors like J.K. Rowling can easily dismiss the financial loss, the situation becomes quickly explosive for small publishing businesses. For instance, BookLocker.com noticed more than 13,000 scribd.com users had "read" their best selling book, Cancer-Free, before the author was able to have his copyrighted material removed. Two of my books were listed for roughly six months - without my knowledge - and the loss of sales is roughly $20,000, with no chance to tackle a heavyweight like Scribd.
Scribd.com is not the only document-sharing web site, but with more than 50 million users and more than 50,000 document uploads per day, it appears they aim to be the YouTube for print. Scribd.com can most certainly be helpful for authors, publishers, and bookstores. They can upload their documents in their entirety and sell them for a good profit, or they can upload only an excerpt to wet the appetite of potential readers. The content on Scribd.com ranges from a majority of dull documents to a number of copyrighted books, fiction and non-fiction alike.
There are two sides to the problem: First, Scribd.com provides the means to upload copyrighted material without "editorial interference or approval", thus creating financial damage to the publishing industry. Add to this that the majority of authors and publishers are still unaware of the issue.
Secondly, there are a number of publishing businesses - sleeping with the enemy - who believe in a strange marketing policy of allowing the free-of-charge viewing, reading, printing, and downloading of their published books for "a limited time".
The absence of "editorial intervention and approval" in combination with a highly flawed sign-up process, however, encourages the crime. Scribd.com makes it very easy to sign up with a fake e-mail address. For instance, a user can sign up as johnmccain@thewhitehouse.com and then upload the latest Dan Brown, provided it exists in an electronic format. Scribd.com does not actively verify the users' authority, and, in case of an illegal upload, they are usually unable to identify the perpetrator. Of course, they pop up a dialog window asking to confirm the rights to the document in question. But, seriously, criminal minds don't care, and there are a great number of users who may be unaware of the consequence of their actions.
Removing copyrighted documents from the Scribd.com web site is easy, though - they promote this heavily as one of their "helpful features". Scribd.com provides an e-mail template and the author or publisher fills in the appropriate information. It usually takes only a few days to process the request, but it also means that the document is still available for view, print, or download until the verification process is completed.
And even then, Scridb is still holding on to the document, meaning it is still stored in their database, which posts yet another legal problem because they store copyrighted documents without explicit authorization by the document's owner. Officially, they use the existing copy to verify it against new uploads and thus prevent further copyright infringement.
I strongly suggest that each author and publisher check out the Scribd.com web site and search for names and titles. If your work is listed on Scribd.com, send an e-mail to copyright-at-scribd.com using the legal form they recommend. You will receive an automated response stating that your request has been received. They also encourage you to leave comments, and I dared doing just that, without being insulting. As a matter of fact, the person in charge at Scribd.com, their Customer Care Director, did not appreciate my feedback and closed the request immediately. I had to re-apply, and my book was finally removed from their web site.
The law firm of Camara & Sibley has decided to take on Scribd, seeking class action status against the site in a lawsuit filed in a Texas federal court. The charge: "Like YouTube, Veoh, and other user-generated content sites, Scribd makes it just too easy to upload copyrighted content without permission."
Ironically, a copy of the lawsuit is available through the Scribd.com web site (Search for Scott v. Scribd Complaint).
For further information on Scribd.com, log on to my web site at http://www.frogenyozurt.com.
Wilfried F. Voss was born and raised in Germany, but for the past twenty years his home and his heart have been in beautiful New England. He shares his birthday with celebrities like THE KING (Elvis Presley) and David Bowie, which is January 8 (not the same year, though). He has published three books on technical topics and is currently exploring another genre of writing, namely fiction writing. In Septmber of 2009 he published his first novel "The Bleeding Hills."

Last edited by Tomi_099; 01-12-10 at 09:28 AM.
Tomi_099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 08:47 PM   #362
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Old 01-16-10, 11:27 AM   #363
OldFrenchy
Mate

Downloads: 63

Tomi-

Around Feb. 9th I will be passing through Kiel (ferry from Sweden) on my way to the Ardennes with my brother. We plan to check out the U-boot museum there. Are there any picures I could take for you while I'm there? I don't even know which U-boats are on display but as I'm there with a camera.....

OldFrenchy
OldFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 09:31 PM   #364
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrenchy View Post
Tomi-

Around Feb. 9th I will be passing through Kiel (ferry from Sweden) on my way to the Ardennes with my brother. We plan to check out the U-boot museum there. Are there any picures I could take for you while I'm there? I don't even know which U-boats are on display but as I'm there with a camera.....

OldFrenchy
@OldFrenchy
This is fantastic, we stay in touch, I sign by PM !

Bitte um Verständnis !!

Hier wurde absichtlich ein Buchstabe verändert!!
Aus rechtlichen gründen!!

Here was deliberately altered a letter!
For legal base!

Last edited by Tomi_099; 01-17-10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 02:29 AM   #365
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
this mod will again rise into the everlasting top 5 of mods for silent hunter! tomi, i really like your work so much. we all will be very grateful for your work, if you look at sh5. many details in the machine room will need to be added.

verdammt gute arbeit, man! und diese disziplin...wir werden dir alle so dankbar für deinen detaillierten raum sein. wenn ich mir so sh5 anschaue, dann gibt es da noch jede menge nachholbedarf, was details angeht.

I agree , this work is Amazing WELL done Tomi
Old 01-18-10, 05:44 PM   #366
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk View Post
I agree , this work is Amazing WELL done Tomi

#########################

----------------- -------------

Old 01-19-10, 01:49 PM   #367
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

extremly nice!!!

are you already adding this room with flakmonkey? or did he created an own version...

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 09:28 PM   #368
Tomi_099
The Old Man

I admire flakmonky Impression,
I think it has succeeded in Silent Hunter 5 Prewiuv version forehead to offer.
I think Silent hunter 5 will offer a similar option.
So Silent Hunter III have a good version.

Last edited by Tomi_099; 01-19-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 04:35 AM   #369
NZsnowman
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 6

Hi Tomi

While working on the piping I noted that these twp pipes align.

From my drawing you can look how they join up

I will join this pipe to the engine
NZsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 05:30 AM   #370
Tomi_099
The Old Man

That looks good!
I will check with me!

You've got a PM from me!
Old 01-23-10, 09:12 AM   #371
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

As always, looks amazing Tomi!
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 05:04 PM   #372
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Just dropping by to see what Tomi has been cooking lately
Looks delicious as always

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:20 AM   #373
Kretschmer the IV
Navy Dude

Downloads: 72

muahahah Fahrer befiehl

Sehr schöne Arbeit Tomi! Wahnsinn!
Kretschmer the IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 07:27 AM   #374
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

news on progress?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 05:57 PM   #375
NZsnowman
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 6
Drainage System

Step 1 : Engine Room Drainage system (in red) from Design and Specification Books, Volume M, a original German plans from U-570.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm

Step 2: Original German plans.

Step 3: My Drawing
NZsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote