SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-21, 06:57 AM   #946
VDraculaV
Seaman

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

How to make custom conning tower emblems work?
I have edited custom emblem texture (in TNormal and TLowRes folders) for Type IX in photoshop. Saved it with same settings like the original textures (RGB/8bit+alpha), but when i select it in bunker on career start there is no emblem on conning tower at all

any ideas what i could have made wrong?
VDraculaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 11:59 AM   #947
rschilla
Seaman

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

So I've been playing pretty steadily for two weeks and find DW_6 a marked improvement over OM.

It is far more stable. CTDs are rare as opposed to OM where they were constant. I think I have had one and that could have been the computer doing something in the background that had nothing to do with DW.

The ship explosions are quite impressive. Burning tankers are great.

I've bumped the TC up to max 4096 just to see what happens. Long boring sails across the Atlantic to the US East Coast were a tad too tedious at 1024. So far, not bad but I have a pretty hot computer so maybe it can handle it. For the hell of it I may try putting it up to 8k plus just to see what happens. I can always lower it if it doesn't work.

The stability is the big advantage thus far.

Cons:

Not many.

The constant radio interruptions were ended by editing the MessagesGE file to get rid of the more useless ones so that is no longer a problem.

I was able to fix most of the voice problems by substituting the Speech Clips. At least now I know when the Thermal Layer has been passed.

The messages from the High Command in French are not a problem. I can decipher enough French to know what they want me to do... and when they tell me to break off and RTB I habitually ignore that anyway if I have any torpedoes left.

Is the weather ALWAYS bad off the US East Coast? Seems like a constant hurricane for all of 1942! I lived in New York for 55 years and it wasn't that bad!

There is something about the resolution for the Attack periscope and the Observation Periscope and TBT. The attack periscope gives an identification of the target vessel which is nice if you want to be lazy. The other two seem to extend off the bottom of the screen and not show that ID window. That seems like an odd thing to mess with intentionally but in OM all three showed the target vessel.

Beyond that, I'm hard pressed to find anything to quibble about. DW is a fine piece of work.

Well done.
rschilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 03:27 PM   #948
VDraculaV
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschilla View Post
I was able to fix most of the voice problems by substituting the Speech Clips. At least now I know when the Thermal Layer has been passed.
can you please explain how to do that? I was wondering all the time why my crew is never telling a word about thermal layer.
Old 03-09-21, 03:52 PM   #949
rschilla
Seaman

Oh, they are telling you.... it's just in German which did me no good at all.

KaleunMarco explained the procedure to me in Post #882.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=882
Old 03-09-21, 04:05 PM   #950
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
The messages from the High Command in French are not a problem. I can decipher enough French to know what they want me to do... and when they tell me to break off and RTB I habitually ignore that anyway if I have any torpedoes left.
when i reached my threshold, i went and translated the messages from French to English.

Quote:
Is the weather ALWAYS bad off the US East Coast? Seems like a constant hurricane for all of 1942! I lived in New York for 55 years and it wasn't that bad!
when you feel that you have endured your share, remember to use the "weather normalizer".

There is something about the resolution for the Attack periscope and the Observation Periscope and TBT. The attack periscope gives an identification of the target vessel which is nice if you want to be lazy. The other two seem to extend off the bottom of the screen and not show that ID window. That seems like an odd thing to mess with intentionally but in OM all three showed the target vessel.[/QUOTE]
yes, i found this to be annoying, myself. i began using the periscope that identified the target, whichever one that is, because i could not figure out how to change the other one. what can one do, eh?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 04:23 PM   #951
VDraculaV
Seaman

Quote:
Oh, they are telling you.... it's just in German which did me no good at all.

KaleunMarco explained the procedure to me in Post #882.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=882
Thanks

ps: i speak german, but i never heard them telling that

[EDIT] ok, i found that .wav file. Now i know why i never heard the crew telling "passing thermal layer" in german. In that file he says "check board locks" in german (Bordverschlüsse überprüfen)

Last edited by VDraculaV; 03-09-21 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 04:38 PM   #952
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDraculaV View Post
can you please explain how to do that? I was wondering all the time why my crew is never telling a word about thermal layer.
Quote:
Oh, they are telling you.... it's just in German which did me no good at all. KaleunMarco explained the procedure to me in Post #882. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=882
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
<snip>original fix<snip>
Easy to fix, once you know what to do! Just a quick note to thank you all three for (re-)mentioning this - it's 'fixed' here now and every future thermal layer pass will be a thank you to all you three.
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 05:23 PM   #953
rschilla
Seaman

Quote:
Thanks

[EDIT] ok, i found that .wav file. Now i know why i never heard the crew telling "passing thermal layer" in german. In that file he says "check board locks" in german (Bordverschlüsse überprüfen)

I told you I didn't speak German!

Herr Kaleun. The "Weather normalizer?"
Old 03-09-21, 05:41 PM   #954
VDraculaV
Seaman

Quote:
I told you I didn't speak German!
Ok, how is that related to what i have said? I didn't mention you in any way, so chill out
Old 03-09-21, 05:59 PM   #955
rschilla
Seaman

You said that the "passing thermal layer" .wav did not mention the "thermal layer."

That does explain why you didn't hear it, though.

I'm about as chill as anyone can get.
Old 03-09-21, 06:38 PM   #956
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Thanks

vielen dank.
i could never figure out what that wav file said because my pigeon-german is terrible and, no matter what i thought i heard, i could never get a proper translation.
so, here is an opportunity for you: create a wav with the proper words and then upload it. that way there is proper german command for those who want to hear german.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 08:40 AM   #957
VDraculaV
Seaman

I ran into an airstike on the way to my patrol grid yesterday, took some good hits so 3/4 of my crew was injured and one officer dead. Now i loaded the savegame today and whole crew is at health 100/100, even the dead officer is alive again.
Do the health state of the crew not get saved in SH4 or is it a DW related issue?
Old 03-10-21, 09:08 AM   #958
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
I ran into an airstike on the way to my patrol grid yesterday, took some good hits so 3/4 of my crew was injured and one officer dead. Now i loaded the savegame today and whole crew is at health 100/100, even the dead officer is alive again.
Do the health state of the crew not get saved in SH4 or is it a DW related issue?
It’s a know issue related to all the SH series.
Each time you save/reload, crew is ok again...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 04:21 PM   #959
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Have on occasion, ran into the exact opposite... No damages being recorded, then go & load up a save made after an attack and all sorts of damages & crew injuries/deaths.. that weren't there before I made the save.. crop up like a bad nightmare, as well.

All I can say is... go figure... games are funky thataway, sometimes...

M. M.

Old 03-10-21, 06:52 PM   #960
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Have on occasion, ran into the exact opposite... No damages being recorded, then go & load up a save made after an attack and all sorts of damages & crew injuries/deaths.. that weren't there before I made the save.. crop up like a bad nightmare, as well.

All I can say is... go figure... games are funky thataway, sometimes...

M. M.

I am guessing this is simply because devs didn't care about the damage/injuries enough to make saves reliable on that aspect. Community made this game less arcadish.
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote