SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-20, 01:15 PM   #5521
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-20, 01:19 PM   #5522
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

@Skybird Your post #5516 made a lot of sense, will lookout for the books

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-20, 01:22 PM   #5523
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Further 17,555 cases and 498 deaths in the UK

A further 17,555 coronavirus cases have been recorded in the UK, along with 498 deaths within 28 days of a positive test, according to the latest government figures.

The number of daily cases is down from 18,213 on Wednesday, while the number of deaths is down from 696.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-20, 05:13 PM   #5524
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
@Skybird Your post #5516 made a lot of sense, will lookout for the books
To get you started more comfortably, here are two programs you can listen to in the background while doing your things, they are a popular audience's approach, so to speak.

The first is a video-conversation between Jörg Spitz and Uwe Gröber, author of some of the books I linked to. Its on how to quickly boost immune defences against Covid by taking Vitamine C, D, A, Zinc, Selenium, what is missing imo is Magnesium and maybe even Q10.

Jörg Spitz was chief in the Städtische Kliniken Wiesbaden, a radiologist and expert for image-based scanning and diagnosis who founded his own diagnostic institute. When he retired in 2005, he found to be too young to see this as the end of his career, and started his second go as a medical expert: he made his "Facharzt" title for prevention medicine, and followed it by adding the title for food medicine as well, since then he organises conferences, bringing inter-disciplinary dialogues to work, and works on informing a wide public audience especially on Vitmaine-D (for which he became kind of famous), and other topics as well.

Uwe Gröber is one of Europe's leading micro nutrients experts, a pharmacologist and author of many books, some for a strictly medical expert audience, some for students at university, and some for the wide public. He is engaged in students and medical staff and doctors training, and runs his own research institute on nutrition and orthomolecular medicine, and supervises research studies at several hospitals throught Germany.

And the following is Jörg Spitz in the Berlin Urania, a speech that is both informative and entertaining, the topic is fats, and it gives an easy entrance into the topic. The man is very entertaining, easy to listen to.

And since I mentioned DiNicolantonio, this is a one hour talk (in English this time) with an American doctor, and they both talk about how to boost immunity. DiNicolantonio meanwhile has made his professor title (he still looks quite young, almost like an athletic college boy...), and works at some heart desease centre in the Us as cardiovascular research scientist, pharmacologist and senior editor of several medical journals. I like the positive impression he leaves on my mind . And he knows the stuff he talks of (in now almost 250 publications, from books over studies to medical journal entries).

Old 11-26-20, 05:44 PM   #5525
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

This sentence "on how to quickly boost immune defences" in Skybirds comment above is important not only when it comes to Corona but in general.

It's important to have a "well trained" immune defence.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-20, 06:21 PM   #5526
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
This sentence "on how to quickly boost immune defences" in Skybirds comment above is important not only when it comes to Corona but in general.

It's important to have a "well trained" immune defence.

Markus
The combination of Zinc and Vitamine C is known since long.

Else, Zinc is not easily resorbed, and competes heavily with other nutrients for cofactors in the body so that it can get metabolically processed. Therefore, you should take Zinc alone (with C at best), 3 hours after your last and at least half an hour before your next food intake. And certainly, with the exception of Vitamine C, take it alone with no other nutrients, especially not Selenium and Folate (=Vitamine B9). If you are healthy, do not exceed a dose of 40mg per day, if you are ill, dont be shy to immediately raise it to 80 - but do not maintain that dose without time limt, keep it imited to some days only, reduce it again when you feel better again. Its positive to have at least part of your Zinc fix as lozenges. It forms a protective film of Zinc on your throat'S mucosa.

Vitamine A knows severla processing stages, its best to take it as pure retinol so that the body has the least work with processing it. Not exceeding 5000-7000 I.E. most people should be fine and facing no risks, but some more propably still is uncritical. Usually Retinol comes in a flask and you take three drops to get 5000 IE. Vitamine A must be taken together with a small amount of additional fat or oil, not just the carrier oil it is delivered in.

Vitamine-C - well, some take a few hundred milligrams per day, others some thousand, and nobody seems to have problems. Much fear mongering was done in the last decades of the past century, regarding kidney destruction and such, its BS. If your are ill, your body tolerance for it will immediately increase by multiple factors. It gets stored not well and not long in the body, so best is to divide your daily fix into smaller doses and spread them across all your day. I heard of an idea which I really liked, have a salt shaker loaded not with salt, but with Vitamine C, and use it for any food or drink that can make use of the sour taste. Brilliant! Just cover it so that it stays dry.

Selenium: necessary cofactor for iodine, but should not be taken together with Vitamine C, keep some hours between them. 200-250 mcgr will most liekly keep you covered and certainly within safe territory.

Magnesium, very relevant for so many things, beside Zinc the most used and needed and profound mineral. Your needs can vary widely, but do not underestimate them (most people do). Resorbiton rate is such that you can lose up to one third or so of what you swallowed, so plan your dose accordingly bigger. I take two daily net doses of 400 mg (640mg per pill) each, giving a net of 800 (in total 1280). Drink a lot with it!

Vitamine C is hard to overdose, usually you will pee out everything in excess, or have one sit-in session in the toilet room, to settle the story, and thats all.

Same with magnesium.

Vitamine D is safe to daily doses of 40-50 thousand IE over several months, and single doses of 100-150 thousand IE. This is not to say you should take 30 thousand per day as regular maintenance dose! You only produce expensive urine that way. For limited time flood your Vitamine D reserves with high doses, and then reduce to normal maintenance dose.

Overdosing Zinc is easier possible and more difficult to handle then, since you cannot do anything to help getting rid of it, and need to sit it out until the body has metaboilically excreted it, which can last days and weeks. So with Zinc you do not want to exaggerate things.

Same with selenium, the tolerance doseis much higher than was previously thought in the last century, but you want to stay out of the danger zone - but I wonder if anybody really knows where it begins. But with the mentioned doses you are very safe anyway, and far away from any unwanted border crossing, thats what iodine experts seem to have consensus on.
Old 11-26-20, 06:23 PM   #5527
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
To get you started more comfortably, here are two programs you can listen to in the background while doing your things, they are a popular audience's approach, so to speak.

The first is a video-conversation between Jörg Spitz and Uwe Gröber, author of some of the books I linked to. Its on how to quickly boost immune defences against Covid by taking Vitamine C, D, A, Zinc, Selenium, what is missing imo is Magnesium and maybe even Q10.

Jörg Spitz was chief in the Städtische Kliniken Wiesbaden, a radiologist and expert for image-based scanning and diagnosis who founded his own diagnostic institute. When he retired in 2005, he found to be too young to see this as the end of his career, and started his second go as a medical expert: he made his "Facharzt" title for prevention medicine, and followed it by adding the title for food medicine as well, since then he organises conferences, bringing inter-disciplinary dialogues to work, and works on informing a wide public audience especially on Vitmaine-D (for which he became kind of famous), and other topics as well.

Uwe Gröber is one of Europe's leading micro nutrients experts, a pharmacologist and author of many books, some for a strictly medical expert audience, some for students at university, and some for the wide public. He is engaged in students and medical staff and doctors training, and runs his own research institute on nutrition and orthomolecular medicine, and supervises research studies at several hospitals throught Germany.

And the following is Jörg Spitz in the Berlin Urania, a speech that is both informative and entertaining, the topic is fats, and it gives an easy entrance into the topic. The man is very entertaining, easy to listen to.

And since I mentioned DiNicolantonio, this is a one hour talk (in English this time) with an American doctor, and they both talk about how to boost immunity. DiNicolantonio meanwhile has made his professor title (he still looks quite young, almost like an athletic college boy...), and works at some heart desease centre in the Us as cardiovascular research scientist, pharmacologist and senior editor of several medical journals. I like the positive impression he leaves on my mind . And he knows the stuff he talks of (in now almost 250 publications, from books over studies to medical journal entries).

I add B12 as well.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-20, 07:09 PM   #5528
Skybird
Soaring

All, each and every nutrient can and must be mentioned/added, because if it were really irrelevant for our healthand surivival, we would not need it. But in the video on Corona and immunity, the authors were mainly about what could be done fast and directly to give an as-quick-as-possible immediate boost to your immune system, and this purpose alone is what the mentioned items owe to.

You need an instant red alert ringing in your immune system? D, A, C, Zink, Selenium, Magnesium get you covered faster than most other things.

Its the red-alert-combo.

Additionally: heat yourself up, get sweating, raise you core temperature, create an artificial fever state. Sauna. Hot bath, shower. Sit in a car in death valley at noon. Do not battle fever as long as it does not reach to really threatening levels. Its a weapon your body uses to fight desease, if you suppress fever, you disarm your bodyguard. Not clever! Many animals can get even hotter than humans if forming a fever to fight a desease.

Drink a lot, but no soft drinks, and no fruit juices, fresh or concentrate. Simple water.

Get a lot of natural untreated salt over the day. And I mean: a lot. Keep the fluorid and the natriumferrocyanid out of it, you do not want it and you do not need it. What suckers get these crazy ideas to add such toxines to food and water...?

I like, especially in summer, cold sweet water with a few drops of a natural and high quality lemon oil essence or orange oil as you can find in supermarkets, it adds the arome, but leaves out strong taste and sugar. The Italians have the best I found so far: Leverno Succo di Limone. The same is available as Orange, also very good. I use a simple water filter by routine, because he have so much scale in our water over here, it ruins water boiler and espresso machine quickly if using unfiltered water. But a side effect is it reduces the chlorine taste in the water significantly, too, which is welcomed. The hygienics concerns are being taken care of by storing the filter and water in the fridge at 4°C, in darkness, and replacing it completely at least once a day.

https://www.amazon.de/Leverno-Succo-...436156&sr=8-18

Sleep. Rest. Do not train or excercise because you think training will tell your desease a lesson on who the bopss is. It won't. Better is: lay back, rest. Sleep.

Stay at home, and stay in bed. Crazy that one needs to tell this people, but you really need to tell this to a lot of people. Do not force yourself to work so that you can infect as many other people as possible. STAY HOME. Stay in bed. Stay hot. Sleep. drink, eat salt, and the other things listed. Nature has brought mankind until here this way. Do you really think clever you knows it better...?

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-20 at 07:37 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-20, 07:28 PM   #5529
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

For 20 years plus I have been eating at least 75 percent fish as well as green legumes and black beans and also garlic in high doses ... and of course also meat ... every week and lots of fruit and various vegetables, white bread is long gone. Also takes magnesium and what is needed for supplementation. Mix smoothies every day that contain ginger, carrot, spinach, garlic, and roasted peanuts..with some strawberries and blueberries. But can of course "cheat" by eating some bananas and some yogurt. Beef fillet or chicken with brown rice goes down well. Spontaneously, I think I get enough of what is important ... balancing is the key word.

Marie Curie

Old 11-26-20, 07:47 PM   #5530
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
For 20 years plus I have been eating at least 75 percent fish as well as green legumes and black beans and also garlic in high doses ... and of course also meat ... every week and lots of fruit and various vegetables, white bread is long gone. Also takes magnesium and what is needed for supplementation. Mix smoothies every day that contain ginger, carrot, spinach, garlic, and roasted peanuts..with some strawberries and blueberries. But can of course "cheat" by eating some bananas and some yogurt. Beef fillet or chicken with brown rice goes down well. Spontaneously, I think I get enough of what is important ... balancing is the key word.
We have a proverb in German: Wer wissen will, muß messen (who wants to know, needs to measure). Make a list of all what you typically eat, in grams, and then look up in a smart book the nutrition content. It can vary widely, for example in fish. Omega 3 and iodine, it can vary SIGNIFICANTLY depending on what sorts of fish you eat. the same alga from the Japanese waters and from the atlantic can have very, extremely different iodine levels. Once you have all the values on a list, then you know, you can also go ask a health practitioner for several variables checked via blood and urine tests, that usually are not being done yb your medical doc, possible you need to pay for these independent from your health insurrance.

Keep on mind: the apple you eat today has 5-8 times less vitamines than the apple your forefathers ate a hundred years ago. The field vegetables and cabbage they harvested during world war one, had up to nine times as much minerals and trace elements than the same things harvested today. Our soils are depleted of Selenium and other things, and the bacteriollogical biomes of the soil have been annihilated by Monsanto and Bayer. Our famrign groudns today are - deserts. Just using fertilizer and you are done?- forget it, it does not work that way, oyu cna get a fruit that way that looks like a furit and that ahs the content of a piece of wood. The many branches and species of fruits and vegetables have been bred and designed to look better, be bigger, be storable for longer time, but they have lost their taste too often, and they have also lost their nutritiuon contents. So chances are that although you believe you eat diverse and healthy, you nevertheless have deficits of which you simply do not know and that you cannot imagine. Vitamine D, Iodine and Selenium are the three hottest candidates for the finals, but Zinc, Magnesium, Q10, Vitamine B complex also offer good chances to score a no-score. And then there is the Omega 6-Omega-3 balance, and Q10 levels whiuch degrades with age, like Vit-B.

Personally, chicken is on its way off my chart, and fish moves in as almost exclusive "meat" food. Will add some portions of grinded beef, however, from cattle held on meadows. That they ate grass and no soy or corn, makes a difference.

Here in germany, Kerrygold from Ireland seems to be a good choice for butter products, since the Irish seem to hold their cattle mostly on meadows indeed. I always thought that were just a cliche told by the TV commercials , but it seems to be true. Again, grass-fed makes a big difference for the quality of the fatty acids balance. I could imagine that in sweden with that lots of nature, grass-fed lifestock also is widespread, but thats just my idea, the climate is different than in Ireland which gets hit by the golf stream. Over here in Germany, its mostly animal concentration camps, of course, and soy crap food. I really have started to move away from that. I even feel slightly ashamed that I did not care for it for so long time. Nothing against lifestock and slaughtering, but the way the industry does it has become unacceptable for me. I do not buy that anymore. My dealing with the squirrels in the garden also have left an impact on me. Cute little teachers they are, it seems, teaching non-verbal lessons.

Wild meat (boar, deer) is also an alternative, a good one, but hard to find over here, and then very expensive. A shame.

Fruits btw may be less ideal than we think. They are full with fructose, and no matter how you name it: it is sugar and gets metabolically processed like sugar. Diabetics can be prohibited to eat any frutis at all! I have reduced my fruit fix to one fruit per day: either an apple or a banana or a kiwi, although I could kill kiwis by the dozens every day... . But not anylonger.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-20 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 08:34 PM   #5531
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

A friend of mine who accidentally tipped me off about a book, and it all took place in the late 1980s. He documented the book in connection with a job. The book describes very clearly minerals and trace elements that are necessary in our body. I went through various "possible" pieces to determine my habit of, for example, copper, zinc, etc. Even today there is a lot that agrees well. Will look later today what the book is called and link it up here.
Funny that you mention apple, I do not eat it, do not like it simply, however, I could eat avocado "all in". But I fully agree that the food we eat does not contain as many nutrients as many people think. Today when I was out driving I thought in my quiet mind, earlier when I worked more nights than now ... so there were some burgers and salads via drive-in, but semi-finished today it is extremely unusual.

Marie Curie

Old 11-26-20, 09:06 PM   #5532
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

most foods you get at the stores not good for you what they pack with to last longer when i became a diabetic the dr ask me what i ate told her mostly can soups that not even good for you my dad he loves them dinners smart ones the dr told him they not good for him loaded with salt and postasm 10 minutes later he runs up the isle throwing them in the cart like there a money prize in them i show him one dinner had 60g of salt
Old 11-26-20, 09:16 PM   #5533
Skybird
Soaring

As I said a week or two earlier, salt is no problem, but what you eat the salt with (or eating too little salt) Low salt diet increases insuline resistence. And canned food? Only good for emergency reserve storages, or when we talk about corn or tomatoes in cans. These can indeed become more valuable in cans, but all otber things in cans are seriously degraded in micronutrients.

Shock frozen vegetables often has higher nutrient content, because it gets frosted before it starts to loose nutrients to oxygene. "Fresh" vegetable on the other hand may have seen hours of transportation, and days on the shelves in the supermarket.

Have you ever tried to "unbecome" a diabetic? Experimentec with fats, ketonic nutrition? My father, mild diabetic, is off his meds. The doc did not trust his eyes. Took him the summer. He only eats cocos oil and fishoil now, no other oil and no butter anymore. Reduced carbs. Myself, I am off one of three hypertension meds, and halved dosage of the remaining two.

These things can work! .

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 10:01 PM   #5534
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
As I said a week or two earlier, salt is no problem, but what you eat the salt with (or eating too little salt) Low salt diet increases insuline resistence. And canned food? Only good for emergency reserve storages, or when we talk about corn or tomatoes in cans. These can indeed become more valuable in cans, but all otber things in cans are seriously degraded in micronutrients.

Shock frozen vegetables often has higher nutrient content, because it gets frosted before it starts to loose nutrients to oxygene. "Fresh" vegetable on the other hand may have seen hours of transportation, and days on the shelves in the supermarket.

Have you ever tried to "unbecome" a diabetic? Experimentec with fats, ketonic nutrition? My father, mild diabetic, is off his meds. The doc did not trust his eyes. Took him the summer. He only eats cocos oil and fishoil now, no other oil and no butter anymore. Reduced carbs. Myself, I am off one of three hypertension meds, and halved dosage of the remaining two.

These things can work! .

This is on the back of my Cheeto's cheddar Cheese pop corn bag

Is this bad?

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 04:30 AM   #5535
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
This is on the back of my Cheeto's cheddar Cheese pop corn bag

Is this bad?
Depends on the quality of the fats, in principle from a keto diet's point of view pop corn and cheese are not the worst choices for a snack, but in keto for example you would prefer to cut down carbohydrates as much as possible and you would prefer to be certain about your fat's quality. You cannot get into ketosis if eating too much carbohydrates, and then you cannot burn ketons and then you cannot replace carbohydrate-based energyx priduction with fat-based eneregy production. If you want to lose weight, you must not burn carbohydrates - you must burn fat reserves. But okay, we do not talk keto here.

Your snack is industrially processed food, so you cannot know what ingredients are included that are below the level where they must declare it on the lable. Also, it contains starch, and this strach was heated up, so it has a higher glycaemic index value, triggers a more intense insuline reaction. Eating whole corn and eating popped corn, makes a metabolical difference

Low sugar and no trans fats, says the lable. That both is good, too. Also, some fibre in it. Good, too. But it all falls or stands with the quality of the fat used.

Idea I got right now: popcorn with coconut oil instead butter or any fatty covering. May be a nice arome. I will try that later this day. However, coconut oil looses its cooconut flavour when getting heated up, sooo...

Thats my personal layman's assessment. I am no doctor or nutrition expert, however. Personally, i try to stay away from popcorn now, from any snacking between my two main meals. Every eating causes a spike in insuline production. I try to keep the number of events down.

Keep consummation non-excessive, then occasionally enjoying a not too big portion probably is okay.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-27-20 at 06:49 AM.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan