SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-09, 11:17 PM   #1
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371
Uploads: 1
Default Uboats in the Suez Canal - late 1942

After being told the Suez Canal was controlled by the British in late 1942... I just had to try and sneak through. I refueled at Messina and then entered the canal at port Said around 16:40 and arrived at the Red Sea 3 days later. Picked up multiple radar warnings by Port Said - but the canal itself was thankfully empty all the way down to As Suways and the Gulf of Suez.

I ran wide open - 17 knots - all the way down to the Gulf of Suez. Making the transit at night proved a smart choice as I did not have to worry about finding any undiscovered shore emplacements. The Great Bitter lake passed without any sightseeing at all.

When I came out into the Gulf of Suez by As Suways I picked up several merchants docked at the port... but decided not to make a ruckus... and it was a good thing too because the north end of the Gulf of Suez turned out to be thoroughly patrolled by Elco torpedo boats and armed trawlers. Transit time for the canal itself was just under 8 hours at 17 knots.

The canal itself and the Gulf of Suez were mostly empty... with the exception of several troublesome fishing boats and armed trawlers as I got closer to the Red Sea. But then once in the Red Sea there was nothing but open water to the Gulf of Aden.

I left St. Nazaire in the wee hours of October 7 1942... and arrived in Penang on November 15, 1942 - with only 4% fuel remaining. Running wide open as often as possible to transit the canal ate up a lot of fuel. I am not sure I would want to make it a regular route... methinks luck and good karma played a large hand in my completing the transit safely. But anyway... there ya go - it can be done.

Your turn, Ivank!

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"

Last edited by Akula4745; 10-22-09 at 06:33 AM.
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote