SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-19, 10:46 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Support Scattered Convoys Tactics

Question about tactics

It was a stormy night so I could only pick off one ship of a convoy. I couldnt get good visuals on the others.

What was nice was the lack of the destroyers having any ability to find me even as I trolled right under the pack.

I have since moved on but I wonder would it be a smart move to swing back and attempt a second attack?

It seems they have scattered and are now moving about randomly so targeting may be difficult, or just never mind and look for another target?
Thoughts?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 11:50 PM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Depending what side you play, what year and where...but usually when a contact is made i try more than one attack.
Global heading was made, so quite easy to shadow the convoy again!
You can even let one or two days before second attack, so they could stop zigzagging
Old 08-28-19, 12:01 AM   #3
skirich
Chief

Welp, because of the stormy night I was able to get right up close within 400 yards and sink 2 more from the convoy and a destroyer.

All were ap the ying yang shots. Timing is everything, and at that close range was a cake walk.

I wouldnt try that on a clear night with 3 destroyers and search lights.
Old 08-28-19, 12:06 AM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

IMO immediately returning to attack a convoy has more downsides than pluses..

Many times the ships will begin unpredictable maneuvering immediately following a sinking making a successful shot much more difficult... they will resume a more consistent, predictable course 30 ish miles downrange
I usually sneak off and if there were more juicy targets left behind, shadow the convoy on the surface 6-7 miles parallel while the crew reloads the tubes, then set up again for another attack.
DDs after an attack can be distracted to an area where they suspect you were, leaving the convoy unprotected, so if the merchants aren't spinning donuts in the water, it may allow a follow up as soon as reloading is completed...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 12:33 AM   #5
skirich
Chief

Well due to the stormy night I was able to return to the convoy and sink 3 more ships including a destroyer. Up close an personal, 400 yard shots all of which were up the ying yang. I wouldnt try this on a clear night.
Old 08-28-19, 09:18 AM   #6
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default convoy tactics

Generally, fire 6 forward torpedoes, 2 per target at 3 ships. Generally fire all rear torpedoes if there are any merchants from 100-degrees to 260-degrees. Crash dive at high speed to best depth while releasing 3 decoys. Move toward convoys original heading and lower speed to 1 knot while reloading tubes.

Important, plot all merchant sonar contacts, especially looking for slow moving, wounded targets for follow-up. Watch for sonar signals that abruptly stop or get real slow. These could be sitting ducks.

Go to periscope depth as soon as tubes are completely loaded, which takes awhile when you use realistic reloads. Pick-off wounded and close-by targets. Be careful not to waste torpedoes on wild-ass shots. In my humble opinion, my day is then done; dive and try to get the H out of Dodge.

Hope this is helpful.