SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-20, 06:31 AM   #3091
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I would add to Jim's comments on Latin america: the Arab countries. They are und double attack currently, and that has the potentila to maybe rip them apart. First, the virus, and second, the oil price and their state budget diving vertically due to that. Could be that the real Arab revolution, or "Spring", to use that stupid old euphemism, is still ahead of them, mulling to shake their socieites in their very fundaments. Outcome unclear, i dare no prediction. But the religious hardliners will play a very tough fist, no doubt, either by plain brutality, or by malicous underhandedness, sweet-greasing their way into people's hearts.
Old 04-22-20, 07:01 AM   #3092
Skybird
Soaring

The US issues warnings of a secnd wave in winter coinciding with ordinary flu pandemic. Comparable wawrning have been made by German experts last week already. A simulataneous event of flu pandemic and a second wave Covid 19 outbreak, would almost certainly overwhelm the health systems, US and Germany alike.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52378845

Such coinciding double pandemics are what makes the current inflation of demands to ease lockdowns prematurely and considering the pandemic being over its apex already, so irresponsible and potentially nation-wrecking. Earlier last week chancellor merkel is said to have turned "furiously" against what she named an "orgy of easing measurements". She confronted explicitly Mr. Laschet, Prime Minister of Northruhine Westphalia, until here a Merkel vasall and a hopefull for the chancel candidacy. That is the same grinning stupid who already helped to stirr the virus soup by preventing his state from banning Carnival (Düsseldorf, Cologne!) in February although back then Covid-19 already was present. He now is the spearhead of demanding ever more far reaching easings of the shutdown and lockdown regime, hoping that businessmen will then support him in elections. No other federal state has as many infections and cases , as Laschet's Northrhine Westphalia. Its also the state with the strongest regional CDU faction, and home of the German ground zero, Heinsberg. This morningn however somebody must have brought him back into line. After my hemetown now the whole state had declared a mandatory obligation to wear masks in public transportaiton and stores and public offices - as one of the last states doing so. Maybe somebody managed to squeeze the simple brutal mathematics into his brain. Would be about time.
Old 04-22-20, 07:46 AM   #3093
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
An RAF aircraft has landed in the UK with a delayed delivery of personal protective equipment (PPE) from Turkey amid a row over a shortage in the NHS.

The flight arrived at RAF Brize Norton in the early hours of Wednesday morning and is believed to contain up to about half of the promised kit.

Other RAF planes are said to be on standby to collect the rest.

The delivery was originally expected to arrive on Sunday, and had been due to include 400,000 surgical gowns.

It is not clear exactly what supplies the flight contained and no clear reason was given for the delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52378491
Probably because of not wanting to lose the remainder of the order.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 08:34 AM   #3094
Skybird
Soaring

Found this in Der Tagesspiegel, and traced its English original back to here:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...gstrom-2020-04

On why the Swedish "model" is most likely wrong and very costly.

Quote:
It is too soon for a full reckoning of the effects of the “Swedish model.” The COVID-19 death rate is nine times higher than in Finland, nearly five times higher than in Norway, and more than twice as high as in Denmark [and according to Johns Hopkins University 2.8 times as high as in Germany at the time of writing that article, Skybird]. To some degree, the numbers might reflect Sweden’s much larger immigrant population, but the stark disparities with its Nordic neighbors are nonetheless striking. Denmark, Norway, and Finland all imposed rigid lockdown policies early on, with strong, active political leadership. Now that COVID-19 is running rampant through nursing homes and other communities, the Swedish government has had to backpedal. Others who may be tempted by the “Swedish model” should understand that a defining feature of it is a higher death toll.
Old 04-22-20, 08:40 AM   #3095
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

It seems wearing a mask in public stores etc. (not in "the open") will be mandatory everywhere in Germany from next monday (april 27th) on.
This does not mean that those who decided that have any knowledge, it is usually about not taking responsibility. But when only one infection less happens by doing this, it is already a success.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 04-22-20 at 08:54 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 08:46 AM   #3096
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Trump himself recommended hydroxychloroquin in his speeches and the press conferences, i plain doubt he had real information about it, just picked it up and spread the word.
That he has some business with the hydroxychloroquin industry does not make him more believable or look neutral in that matter, don't you think so? This is no "conspiracy theory" but rational thinking and common sense.

If it might help then I recommend it too. Who wouldn't? In fact I recommend anything medical professionals think might work. But I dont for moment believe that when doctors and hospitals administer such medicines it has anything to do with mine or Trump's desires.

Quote:
And no one would even mind that, if he would not always flog the dead horse of him being soo great and intelligent and a "genius". His brazenness and self aggrandising makes it hard to take him seriously or find him sympathetic, for the rest of the world. Only America seems to love that.
and Only Germans insert politics into every subject? As an American and speaking for myself I can see past the politics and rhetoric. But its also pretty obvious to me some cant or dont know how too. Such is life.

Quote:
@Jim: Sorry, but it seems it is impossible to divide the "Wuhan" virus and politics
It only seems impossible for some. Watch the video I posted you will see first hand a doctor on the front line. Speaking about the virus, precautions, and preventative medicines. Doing so without once inserting political bias, conspiracies or CNN into the conversation.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 08:47 AM   #3097
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
It seems wearing a mask in public stores etc. (not in "the open") will be mandatory everywhere in Germany from next monday on.
This does not mean that those who decided that have any knowledge, it is usually about not taking responsibility. But when only one infection less happens by doing this, it is already a success.

Yes agreed! And masks will be a helpful constant reminder to be on guard in social situations. We can all work together to keep this pandemic from becoming a holocaust. It's inconvenient but manageable.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 10:40 AM   #3098
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
The US issues warnings of a secnd wave in winter coinciding with ordinary flu pandemic. Comparable wawrning have been made by German experts last week already. A simulataneous event of flu pandemic and a second wave Covid 19 outbreak, would almost certainly overwhelm the health systems, US and Germany alike.
I heard this reported yesterday too, but I am not even a doctor and could guess this is going to happen. In fact I think early on I said what about next flu season how are you going to tell the difference.

Cough, cough, shortness of breath, runny nose

The only difference I hear is if you sneeze it's not Covid-19

Cheer up there will probably be another strain by Christmas anyway

PS I will be ready ... mask, aloe hand sanitizer, food, generator, wood chip barbecue, batteries, toilet paper
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 12:07 PM   #3099
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I heard this reported yesterday too, but I am not even a doctor and could guess this is going to happen. In fact I think early on I said what about next flu season how are you going to tell the difference.

Cough, cough, shortness of breath, runny nose

The only difference I hear is if you sneeze it's not Covid-19

Cheer up there will probably be another strain by Christmas anyway

PS I will be ready ... mask, aloe hand sanitizer, food, generator, wood chip barbecue, batteries, toilet paper
A second wave of coronavirus cases in the US could be even worse than the first, the country's top health official has warned.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) director Robert Redfield said the danger was higher as a fresh outbreak would likely coincide with the flu season.

It would put "unimaginable strain" on the US health care system, he said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52378845

All of Germany's states have announced plans to make face masks compulsory to combat the spread of coronavirus.

Bremen became the final federal region to back the measures, with its senate set to confirm the decision on Friday.

Mask use will be compulsory on public transport throughout Germany, and nearly all states will also make face coverings mandatory when shopping.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52382196

Old 04-22-20, 12:15 PM   #3100
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-22-20, 02:30 PM   #3101
Skybird
Soaring

Focus Magazine today:

Quote:
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020, 19:26

His opinion is valued. It sounds all the more alarming that Christian Drosten now says: Germany is about to gamble away what has been achieved in the fight against corona. The virologist criticizes the store openings and sees fatal consequences if the manouverign space for interpretation of the new provisions is used.

The disappointment is hard to miss in his voice. In the past few weeks, virologist Christian Drosten has taken great pains to help contain the corona virus in Germany.

The well-known virologist appeared on various talk shows, spoke on the radio and recorded a podcast almost every day. Enlightening, instructing and very often also: warning.

All of this certainly contributed to the fact that Germany has actually developed a big lead over other countries in the fight against corona. “We are one of the very few countries worldwide where the numbers are really declining. As a large and transparent country, we are even lonely and absolute top ”, says Drosten in the NDR info podcast“ Das Coronavirus-Update ”from April 22nd.

But now, says the Berliner, "we're about to lose our lead." When Drosten then explains the reasons for his acceptance, he sounds concerned about the pictures he had to see on the past few days.

After the nationwide pandemic measures were recently relaxed and shops up to 800 square meters in size were allowed to reopen after weeks of closure, pictures of filled shops and well-frequented pedestrian zones were visible in many places.

Drosten is disappointed: “Now we see these stories of shopping malls that are busy again and are full of people. And why? Because every single shop is open under 800 square meters. And you have to ask yourself whether that really makes sense. I have to express my opinion for once. ”

The impressions of the past few days lead the 48-year-old to a grim forecast: Drosten says he would "not be surprised if we have a situation in May and June that we cannot control if we are not careful."

Although he also emphasizes that politicians and especially Chancellor Angela Merkel meant the new provisions “very well”, but: “If you loosen the measures or everyone starts to interpret your own scope of interpretation freely, new infection chains will start in many places in Germany . "

Drosten: "And then we have the serious effect of increasing diffusion into older population groups and triggering higher deaths per infection there."

Germany is currently in a very fragile area, Drosten believes when looking at the number of reproductions recently estimated by the Robert Koch Institute at 0.9 (infection rate per person), which has now risen again somewhat.

"Now we have to be careful that we stay below 1," warns Drosten, recalling a position paper by the Helmholzgemeinschaft that said that it could have been possible in Germany "to almost erase the outbreak and get to a range of 0.2, if the measures had only been continued for a few weeks. But politics decided against it. "
https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news..._11911783.html
Old 04-22-20, 04:14 PM   #3102
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Ethnically imbalance

A majority of those who have died from this Corona virus in Stockholm, Sweden was from Somalia and the same goes in other major cities in Sweden, those who have died from Corona was foreigners.

The same is also happening in Denmark, a majority have been foreigners.

Right now(some hours ago) the majority who are in respirator are foreigners

Some said the cause of this could be:

1. Lack of understanding the language, unable to understand the guidelines the authorities have given its citizens

2. The way they live. Foreigners are more social in families.

From what I understand the same ethnically imbalance also occur in USA, England, Germany and other countries here in the West.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 04:27 PM   #3103
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I would say that population density is the main determining factor. You pack humans together like sardines and any virus is bound to spread faster.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 04:29 PM   #3104
Skybird
Soaring

^ To me the theory of reduced immunity system function due to dark skin producing less Vit-D is a very reasonable theory here. It has been mentioned severla times, and in videos, in this thread now. Even more so since Blacks and Hispanics are affected in the US as well, and these hardly can be explained by not understanding the dominant national language, English. Cultural habits and shorter social distances in more southern cultures may also play a role, however.
Old 04-22-20, 04:36 PM   #3105
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
^ To me the theory of reduced immunity system function due to dark skin producing less Vit-D is a very reasonable theory here. It has been mentioned severla times, and in videos, in this thread now. Even more so since Blacks and Hispanics are affected in the US as well, and these hardly can be explained by not understanding the dominant national language, English. Cultural habits and shorter social distances in more southern cultures may also play a role, however.
Damned good thing I take a lot of Vit-D as a White Guy.
I should be nearly immune!
Maybe I should up take my Vit-C.
I think I feel Scurvy coming on.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan