Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-20, 10:24 AM   #2491
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Well, they were being assured nothing was wrong by the the great stable genius, you know, who kept saying it was "just the flu"...
Sure. Like any of those people would listen to or do anything that Trump would tell them to. So, yea.

And then would this infamous Trump hater listen to his advice?

Quote:
“It’s exciting to be here, especially at this time, to be able to be unified with our community. We want to be vigilant about what is out there in other places. We want to be careful about how we deal with it, but we do want to say to people ‘Come to Chinatown, here we are — we're, again, careful, safe — and come join us.'”
That was Nancy Pelosi on Feb. 24. Two days later, the San Francisco Chronicle ran a story titled "Get ready now for probable coronavirus pandemic in U.S., federal officials warn."

The list of Democrat and Republican politicians and news media types of all political varieties who had said things similar to Trump is quite extensive. I'm not defending Trump but he certainly is not alone in making these kind of statements.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 10:33 AM   #2492
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some input from what I have seen and read.

The first was an issue on CNN a couples of days ago.

A reporter was interviewing some people belonging to some church and the woman in the car said after each answer.

I have Jesus blood on/in me.

Yesterday I read Skybird's comment on these face mask and this made me remember that scientist or engineers in one country are not interested in studying what other countries have come up with.
Edit
It was this article
https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news..._11856513.html

End edit

example:
The Danish health agency have decided to conduct a fully investigation on whether these mask are good as they say they are-
They have asked for 6000 volunteers.

Confused:
Sometimes I wish I only could understand one language.
Reading article and hearing news in English, Germans, Danish and Swedish where they daily give info on this Corona pandemic and now and then give counter information-makes me sometimes confuse.
There are one thing they agree on-keep distance.
(I can't remember all, so I said-I can remember I sometimes get confused)

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 04-07-20 at 10:46 AM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 10:34 AM   #2493
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...imated-threat/

The same intellectual reflex motivated politicians such as New York City mayor Bill de Blasio and his health commissioner, Oxiris Barbot, to spend February and part of March dismissing the pandemic. They urged New Yorkers to disregard any fears about the virus and attend the Chinese New Year celebrations and parade in New York’s Chinatown. House speaker Nancy Pelosi did the same thing while promoting the Chinese New Year festivities held in her native San Francisco’s Chinatown. In retrospect, such advocacy is hard to defend given the likelihood that the virus was already starting to spread. But at the time, the looming danger wasn’t yet clear, so the political needs of the moment took precedence.

Meanwhile, on January 31, the Washington Post published an op-ed by former Harvard professor David Ropeik that sought to dismiss fears about the impending pandemic as a figment of our collective imagination, mocking the notion of a “global health emergency.” A few days, later the Post ran another opinion piece by a pair of academics under the headline “Why we should be wary of an aggressive government response to coronavirus,” which claimed fears about the pandemic were merely an invitation to “harsh measures” that would “scapegoat marginalized populations.”
Then I have to laugh at the seemingly directed effort by this thing called the 'international community' which keeps telling the E.U. how much better they have it. You know because Trump.

Anyway, I guess when someone in the E.U. gets a response like mine. It must just blow their minds. They probably think how can it be that someone who lives in the U.S. be so wrong? - Don't they see all the things the international community is telling us everyday about the U.S.? - Don't the American's see how their government lies about the numbers!

Well, yes I do read about those things proclaimed by the 'international community'. But as one who actually lives in the U.S. I hardly ever see them, whoever the hell they are, getting it right. Frankly I see their articles of wit and wisdom more as a means to make a buck and distract you from your own internal problems. Look here, in the country I live in I have at my disposal information from private institutions, centers for learning, and medical professionals that constantly update Coronavirus projections to which I can compare to my government forecasts. I dont need too nor would I ever want too depend on the 'international community' to get my information OR tell me the truth. And just who the heck are these people anyway that make up the international community, can anyone name three who belong to it?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-07-20 at 03:20 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 11:26 AM   #2494
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gives daily briefing.

He says Prime Minister Boris Johnson is breathing without help in intensive care.

Queen sends message of support to Johnson's family.

New York records 731 deaths, the largest single-day rise in the worst-hit state.

Voting in Democratic presidential primary election under way in Wisconsin after court battle.

Stock markets rise on hopes the spread of coronavirus is starting to slow.

Travel is shut down in Israel ahead of the Jewish Passover holiday.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 11:39 AM   #2495
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gives daily briefing.

He says Prime Minister Boris Johnson is breathing without help in intensive care.

That's it, I'm making sure not to have any "Trump" gear on if I go to the hospital. I mean if the Prime Minister of the UK can't get any help to breathe from those crazy liberals, surely I'll be a goner.

Should probably take my voter registration card out of my wallet too.

Last edited by em2nought; 04-07-20 at 11:50 AM. Reason: e
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 11:45 AM   #2496
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52144859

The term "moral injury" did not exist when I still was active in psychology, but during the 6 months time I worked in a project treating trauma and torture victims from the Balkans I saw that staff and doctors and nurses seemed to got emotionally affected the heavier the stronger and stricter they were embedded in or based on their moral belief systems, which I assume also included their religious backgrounds. We want to see meaning and justice in our way of how we sort life and bring order to what we perceive as chaos. That way we create the idea of being in control of unpredictable fate and a chaotic universe that can wipe us out just any second. Nothing is certain for us, absolutely nothing. If then we meet suffering, despite us having done anything correctly and according to the "rite", this puts our method of producing deeper meaning into doubt. Some people react earlier to this dissonance than others, and the reaction also can differ, from cynism and hardening of the heart , to emotional despair and breakdown.

I follow Buddhist psychology on these things, it makes the most sense to me: not tying to always attribute judgement and artificial meaning to things that by themselves just are what they are, not more and not less and not anything different. Our judgement or opinion is not needed, nor do they alter the nature of things and the essence of what happens. But in my experience not many understand this and mistake distance-keeping with desinterest or a lack of compassion. The compassion is there - but it is kept in its place that is its own natural place for sure: more it is not allowed to claim, and it is not allowed to take over the whole regime. And here it is where I would say and sum it up in that reasons must rule over sentiments. But people who grew up in strict moral codices find that very difficult, since they are used to a mechanism of "I obeyed the rules, and did the right deeds, and so things must turn out for the good". Its deal-making a la "I did this, and so fate does that for me." Or a theistic believer: "I said the prayer, and God gives me a good harvest now." But when the harvest does not materialsie, but a thunderstorm strucks the field instead - well, not good. More cretaive mind.work and cofusion needs to be doen then, making evertyhing even more complicated and unreal.

Well, there is no fate like this^ out there. There is just "events happening".

Don't judge, just witness. I tried to taught this for ten years to people during meditatiton courses. Deciding on what we do, we must, there are the necessities of being a living being. But its not necessary to burden us with the illusion that the things we witness ask us for our sympathy or antipathy. Being aware of them without favouring any and without rejecting any, is fully sufficient.

With this view of mine, i certainly did not approach traumatized people and torture victims, Some states of trauma I saw where really horrendous, but I occasionally also dealt with medical and psychological staff. I dare say, without wanting to boast, that due to the rareness of these perspectives I was seen as a bit of an exotic foreigner (and that was the reason why that doctor bringing me in had offered me the opportunity in the first), and I was able to give some participating members of the teams back some peace of mind. I did this for half a year.

If you happen to know somebody working on the frontline of the current crisis and is emotionally suffering form what he sees, and you think you understood what I in brief and inadequate words tried to outline here, try on that somebody with this approach. You will see that this "gentle soberness" helps to ease an upset state of emotions colliding with morals that is at the basis of their troubles. NEVER approach them with moral arguments and tellingn them on their duties, that is the least thing they then need.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-07-20 at 12:10 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 12:12 PM   #2497
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Should probably take my voter registration card out of my wallet too.
Leave a gold coin in. It might make the difference...
Old 04-07-20, 12:18 PM   #2498
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Somebody do the math for me, please?

United States cases April 7th 2020

377,792 cases to 11,816 deaths

How do you divide that into % of is 4% close?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 12:22 PM   #2499
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

3.127646959173302%
Old 04-07-20, 12:23 PM   #2500
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Try not to focus on the numbers, at least not yet.

Once the surge slows down, we'll have better data. Right now, its like watching a water fall and trying to figure out how many gallons/second.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 12:27 PM   #2501
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Try not to focus on the numbers, at least not yet.

Once the surge slows down, we'll have better data. Right now, its like watching a water fall and trying to figure out how many gallons/second.
But who's doing the reporting? How do they really know that the surge is the peak and that it is going down?

over 310 million people with how many left to test?

I'm not focusing on anything, but how much longer till this lock down/shut down is over
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 12:47 PM   #2502
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Its not like an election where you have exit polling.
Keep in mind that there will still be new cases after the peak (whenever it happens) and we'll still need to hunker for several weeks afterward.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 01:11 PM   #2503
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
over 310 million people with how many left to test?
at this point it depends on how many people display symptoms.Why get tested if you don't have symptoms?
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 01:20 PM   #2504
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
There's an old maxim about searching for the truth in political matters:
"Follow the Money"...
I had suspicions there was a lees than altruistic or humanitarian or compassionate motivation behind Trump's aggressive touting of hydroxychloroquine and Trump, once again, does not disappoint; it is well known Trump does nothing nor advocate anything unless there is profit in it for him; with the health, well-being and, in many cases, the lives of those afflicted by Covid-19 at stake, Trump acts less like a compassionate leader and more like a venal Ferengi...

Donald Trump Has Stake In Hydroxychloroquine Drugmaker: Report --

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b6e1d10a696280

Well, you know, a snakeoil salesmans gotta sell the snakeoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
That is somewhat correct but ....

Quote:
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo: “It is about the vulnerable. It's not about 95% of us. It's about a few percent who are vulnerable. That's all this is about. Bring down that anxiety, bring down that fear, bring down that paranoia.”
Quote:
New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio: "I'm encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives: get out on the town despite Coronavirus.”
Quote:
Oxiris Barbot, New York City health commissioner: “We are encouraging New Yorkers to go about their everyday lives and suggest practicing everyday precautions that we do through the flu season.”

That's 100% valid but you will never hear an anti-Trumper making a peep about that.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 01:24 PM   #2505
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
The number of coronavirus cases in the UK "could be moving in the right direction", the government's chief scientific adviser has said.

Speaking at the daily Downing Street briefing, Sir Patrick Vallance said it was "possible that we're beginning to see... the curve flattening".

He added, however, it would be another "week or so" before he could be sure.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52206510
Far too early to say in my estimation.

Didn't they say this about Spain or Italy a couple of days back and the figures shot up again?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan