Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-21, 01:22 PM   #16
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Did you visit some conspiracy sites lately?

What?

Ah i see. You wrote "If so" which is of course nonsense. And "if not so", certainly the US or UK ?
No, it has been years since I walked around in those areas.

It was something that popped up when I read some of the comments.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 02:22 PM   #17
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

I don't think the EU is entirely all bad I do favor some of their regulations as they make sense, just before 2016 I was one of them floating voters I had a hard time deciding (yes I procrastinate over big decisions) .

The transport and logistics industry is one of the life blood industries in any country, and I was basing what I wrote solely to one industry instead of crossing over and its an industry I know extremely well.

Do I blame the EU for everything that is wrong in the transport industry? no I don't but it is a participant in events, I do recognize that some of the problems are home grown, and in some cases pre date the EU formation.
The Beeching reports of the 60's for example highlight the lack of future thinking for example.
I also Acknowledge that companies do have a lot of greed and are also part of the problem as well and yes I could also name a few including UK based companies that really do take the biscuit.

What I wrote was researched in about an hour and no it wasn't based off driving a truck through Europe, I actually stopped driving trucks full time in 2011 and went into management I also did a couple of studies with the RHA that went through the ISO so saying I based my opinion on driving a truck through Europe is not entirely true, in fact there's a lot of hauliers that wanted to stay in the EU for one reason or another many of them because they had letterbox companies.

My thoughts were about key events that I remember so its not as well planned out as id like and it does jump about a bit I know that, yes there's unfair practices in all businesses but, to see many companies fail because they can no longer compete because of something that is supposed to be illegal under European Law but the UK not being allowed to enforce it I'm sorry that to me is a big sign to say don't bother (and that's why I didn't start up).

Can we blame some of the failings on mismanagement of companies yes we can and that's their own fault, can we blame it on the UK authorities not taking a tougher approach of course we can, I'm not black and white yes lets blame the EU for everything.

A lot of the transport issues are due to EU regulations in fact there isn't a HGV driver or Company in the UK that runs on British regulations even post brexit, to the point the road transport industry is one of the most regulated industries in Europe.
Am I calling for de regulation ? not fully no there's a few regulations that do need changing sure but then again this industry is not alone there's others.

I always wanted to ask If the EU is such a good club why is it that Norway voted in 3 referendums to reject admission? the latest one in 2018 with 73% saying No.

The EU for me in my own industry just became a quagmire, and oddly the customs controls now in place have actually made it a hell of a lot easier and this industry is now growing again.

As for Denmark I am not too sure what they want its like the hokey kokey with them, but there is a sentiment there that is anti EU as there is in Sweden and probably all EU member states.

Quote:
I only need to look at the 20ieth century and the lies that are official "truth" now; if certain people think that concocting facts, conspiracy theories, believing in royal supremacy or Quanon or whatever will help them on their way to their special success, be it to rule the world, destroy it, or thinking they are doing something positive by being aggrressive, no one can hold them back. No post here will change anything

I agree with your statement here, there is a lot of false or misleading information about, and I will say this both sides during the run up to the referendum lied and manipulated.

And yes I agree no post here will change any thing.

Was my vote about the £350m per week to the NHS ? no it wasn't, "Brexiteers didn't know what they were voting for" Yes I did understand and did know what I was voting for Cameron made it quite clear.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 02:37 PM   #18
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Will the still be an EU in 20-25 years from now ?

Those who dislike EU would perhaps say no.

While those who support EU would say yes.

Both could be right. In 20-25 years from now, we may have a totally different type of EU and the number of countries who is a member of EU is double of what it is today.

I could very well see an EU where even Russia is a member.

I haven't change my mind I'm one of those who dislike EU for what it is today and what it may become.

I do not vote in this EU-Parliament thing.

The day the people in the member states can put their vote on a certain candidate who is running for the office and people can vote for an European Congress and Senate that day I may vote-NOT before.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 02:45 PM   #19
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Will the still be an EU in 20-25 years from now ?

Those who dislike EU would perhaps say no.

While those who support EU would say yes.

Both could be right. In 20-25 years from now, we may have a totally different type of EU and the number of countries who is a member of EU is double of what it is today.

I could very well see an EU where even Russia is a member.

I haven't change my mind I'm one of those who dislike EU for what it is today and what it may become.

I do not vote in this EU-Parliament thing.

The day the people in the member states can put their vote on a certain candidate who is running for the office and people can vote for an European Congress and Senate that day I may vote-NOT before.

Markus
Well Denmark has MEP representatives you could vote for an anti EU MEP like what the UK did in their last general election so I don't see entirely why anyone wouldn't exercise that right.

I think that if Denmark had a referendum for in or out the Danes would end up split like the UK and it would be marginal to Remain, Sweden on the other hand I think would swing marginally the other way.

The biggest question i put to Eurosceptics is why are they not all calling for referendums to answer the question in or out.

Old 04-11-21, 02:52 PM   #20
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

@Kapitan: Appreciate your answer and reasons. I also want to say sorry if i aggravated you, only excuse is i am getting tired of nationalist BS and i am too often insinuating this everywhere recently, and sometimes unfounded.

I am sure there are a lot of faults that are initiated or at all made possible, by the EU. I do not hope it will fall, but if it will be due to over-nationalist thinking and populists searching a scapegoat for own problems. It is also attacked by China and Russia, seeing a successful model of national states working together on science, trade and values.
The EU should change in a lot of aspects, yes.

If people think their own culture is under threat by a trade union i do not think much of a precious culture exists. If a culture like in Afghanistan demands to sell and marry their underage daughters i tell them they can shove their culture up their behind.
Is a club like the EU better or worse than doing it in solo effort "in a multipolar world"? There are reasons for both i admit.. we will see. All else is speculation.

But globally, we have seen a political right shift all over the world, then the US "switched off" for four years in a way, and Putin's idea of a multipolar world has been gaining momentum. China has challenged the West on its own capitalist basis, and is a clear winner. All this will have an effect on democratic nations. I personally do not think this is good for humanity altogether. And by all faults organisations like the EU have, it is one of the few bulkheads that may help smaller states against the big bullies.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 04-11-21 at 03:07 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 03:24 PM   #21
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
@Kapitan: Appreciate your answer and reasons. I also want to say sorry if i aggravated you, only excuse is i am getting tired of nationalist BS and i am too often insinuating this everywhere recently, and sometimes unfounded.

I am sure there are a lot of faults that are initiated or at all made possible, by the EU. I do not hope it will fall, but if it will be due to over-nationalist thinking and populists searching a scapegoat for own problems. It is also attacked by China and Russia, seeing a successful model of national states working together on science, trade and values.
The EU should change in a lot of aspects, yes.

If people think their own culture is under threat by a trade union i do not think much of a precious culture exists. If a culture like in Afghanistan demands to sell and marry their underage daughters i tell them they can shove their culture up their behind.
If a club like the EU is better or worse than doing it in solo effort "in a multipolar world"? There are reasons for both .. we will see. All else is speculation.

We have seen a political right shift all over the world, then the US "switched off" for four years in a way, and Putin's idea of a multipolar world has been gaining momentum. China has challenged the West on its own capitalist basis. All this will have an effect on democratic nations. I personally do not think this is good for humanity altogether. And by all faults organisations like the EU have, it is one of the few bulkheads that help smaller states against the big bullies.

You haven't aggravated me at all so don't worry about that I understand the frustration though

For me I agree that a culture that sells its underage daughters and does preaches violence's and aggression is not something I would like to be part of or endorse.
When you mentioned selling underage daughters though it does happen in the EU still.
My friend Marius told me about the Kalaidzhi peoples of Romania and how they auction off their daughters and a lot of them are subjugated, i did want to find out more and after Covid I will meet up with him if he is back in Romania.
But I did find this interesting though in the mean time.

As for nationalist not really (no don't have a big EDL tattoo on my chest ) because I see faults in the UK as I do in Canada and just about every country I look into in detail. I was born in the UK I have duel citizenship with Canada, I have family scattered across the world.
I have Family in Canada, Australia, United States, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand, Latvia and probably some ones I don't know about.

As you know I have travelled extensively what a lot of people don't know is I have lived in other countries other than the UK and Canada, I have lived in Holland, Denmark and Germany (admittedly not for any great length of time)

My personal thought on the EU is overall the entire plan is admirable, i do like it however its the way its implemented and how certain countries can do one thing and not another and how one rule affects one but not the other so i guess you could say that's more down to a fairness.

I do fully agree some changes need to be made and I do think they should be just a trading power block that can have a round table of member states where industry standards can be thrashed out and everyone would follow.

And here's one key item the EU has already done this in several ways in my own industry, I love the fact the EU bought in standardization across all member states in my industry, I like the driving hours rules because it protects the driver and manager and these are positives of the EU.

I agree that in some ways the EU does protect the smaller countries, however in others they will hang them out to dry as well.
China is now the new monster in the Room and in all honesty I don't think Russia is going to be the major problem come 2050.

If the west can court Russia I fully believe that China will be alone in the world (Russians don't like Chinese anyways) but right now Putin's mind set is the enemy of my enemy is my friend so they tolerate China to bring notice to them.

If Russia could participate in European trade more actively than what it is then I think we have a big ally on our side.
After all if we look back in history Russia tends to sway to the European side anyway so why alienate them.