Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-21, 04:58 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Sim Racing is good for the soul

Somehow this movie linked up to me, and it is more the narration than the - as usual - high quality editing I have learned to expect from Chris. His videos are top class. While not doing league racing myself or even much of online, I know these moments as well, though more in Raceroom since its AI is more human-like and less pacifistic than that of AC Competizione. Racing against one and the same car in te field for several laps, that does try tricks ony you, fights back, and attacks you from unexpected opportunities while you had just overtaken it and thought you were safe form it, having a stubborn opponent glued to your sidedoor or bumper like a Darth Vader homing in on Rebel cross wing fighters, and then realising you did this for laps and there was no accident, and no contact, just duelling and fighting but with fair means - that can create a strange, almost trance-like state of mind when you indeed are focussed and relaxed at the same time, and then tak emuch more enjoyment from what you just do, then during 95% of the sim racing time you spend. And while it is just playing, a game, not real, in the end you nevertheless feel great satisfaction if the event ends and you know you had not messed it up and have not caused unfair harm on other cars and made it through until the end in one - virtual - piece.

Chris is right. It can be therapeutical - on one of those rare, neither usual nor always to be expected opportunities. But if it is one those rare precious times, it really lights your candle. Not because it matters for the world, or the rest of Your life - but because you realise that you just have spend time truly enjoying yourself and enjoying what you were doing. This experience can be had in many different ways. Handcrafting. Cooking a perfect meal so delicious the taste of it brings back a precious memory you considered lost since long. You resting in silence and forgetting yourself while watching the face of a sleeping cat. Magic can lie in so many occasions that might appear profane to others. But that is okay, because it must only matter to you.

The shown title is Assetto Corsa Competizione which happens to be one of my two race sims of choice (beside Raceroom). And in rain, maybe even at night, and in VR, its hell to drive, a real fright ride. Simming does not get more intense than this.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-05-21 at 06:00 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote