SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-10, 03:30 AM   #3526
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
Realy ? Might missed the line about it. Thanks, no further issues on this matter then.
no worries
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:15 AM   #3527
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman View Post
@ Dark Wraith wrt the RAOBF

OK there are broadly speaking two kinds of periscope used in U-boats.

The older scope used split-prism system as represented in this game, and also as used in the fleet boats.

The later scope did not have a stadimeter or split-prism but instead was a binocular scope which was considered far superior.

However with present PC technology reproducing a true binocular periscope is a bit beyond us so we are better off recreating the effects of the earlier scope model with the split prism.

In SH4 you could select mastheight through the recog manual, but also move an arm on the stadimeter controller to set your desired mastheight. (Some of us actually preferred to do it this way, since manual id of a target is a faff i think) Once the mastheight was set, and the stadimeter was set correctly, this automatically rotated the stadimeter dial and the correct range read off.

This is exactly the same as how the german one should work, and i think for some it is nice to manually set mastheight without having to go through the recog manual.

In addition, the entire split prism mechanism could be rotated by 90 degree and so used to measure angular length of target. By inputting the known or estimated length of target, the AOB is given automatically by the movement of the split prism.

Alternatively, by inputting AOB if guessed, it should be able to spit out target length in meters. At least i think this is how it should also work.

Anyway, the upshot is, linking the stadimeter directly to the AOB finder to give range automatically would be a great improvement - and check out SH4 for this could work.

Making a stadimeter which works horizontally and can be used for the same automatic operation to generate AOB would be a sort of holy grail for those of us who worked on the AOBfinder from the U-jagd tools onwards.

best of luck

joe
Hi Joe, I have intentions to try to Implement this in SH5 I have some graphics (WIP) done up for the RAOBF. They are not great will redo them in Autocad and finish 'em of in Photoshop.
Not sure how to do the Horizontal part via script maybe?

If I can get it working I will make it available for both Mods if wanted.
Mabe TDW would be interested in doing the scripting if needed

reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 09:26 AM   #3528
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Good work Reaper! Very nice looking

I can't imagine how it could possibly be done without scripting. But if creating a horizontal splitscreen stadimeter is too difficult, it's probably unnecessary anyway. Simply a movable vertical line (similar to the SH3 stadimeter but vertical) will be sufficient since for the length measurement the target is typically locked in the center anyway.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 11:07 AM   #3529
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

Is it normal to not to have recognition manual at all?
Crécy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:12 PM   #3530
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crécy View Post
Is it normal to not to have recognition manual at all?
you don't have the stock XO TDC one? You have to click the XO's picture in one of the scope views to 'bring up' a part of the stock rec manual. If you have the Enhanced Recognition Manual add-on mod enabled then you have to drag it out from the upper left side of the screen to see it initially.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 02:42 AM   #3531
Snake129
Nub

Downloads: 33
Default Help

I am not sure if its because i am using this mod or not, but hopefully someone can help me. Whenever i try to dive below 100meters by clicking, the boat will not stop diving once it gets to my specified depth, and just keeps going down. I hit the button (shift+v i believe) and try to click at a higher depth and it just keeps going down. Anyone have any ideas about what is causing this?

Thanks
Snake129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 04:48 AM   #3532
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Are you using a sub physics mod? How fast are you going when you go out of control?
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 09:44 AM   #3533
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Updated Spanish menu.txt file for v3.5.1 by b3rnard0c:
http://www.filefront.com/17105817/Ne...yB3rnard0C.7z/
Old 07-18-10, 11:15 AM   #3534
Defiance
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 672

Hiya's,

In TC the max i use is 1024 but generally stick to 512

Since installing 3.5.1 i am getting a few of these warnings ........ ohh, never had these messages before and have not messed with other mods either, in fact i removed a couple lol

Error Replacing Contacts Actual Speed

Is this anything to worry about ??

Am i right assuming the TC is causing contact updates to become fubar as such ??

Cheers

Def

Bye

Def
Defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 11:29 AM   #3535
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
Hiya's,

In TC the max i use is 1024 but generally stick to 512

Since installing 3.5.1 i am getting a few of these warnings ........ ohh, never had these messages before and have not messed with other mods either, in fact i removed a couple lol

Error Replacing Contacts Actual Speed

Is this anything to worry about ??

Am i right assuming the TC is causing contact updates to become fubar as such ??

Cheers

Def
TC has nothing to do with it. These are errors I had the mod put out (to the messagebox) if it encountered a problem doing something it was trying to do. Do you have the user option show contact's actual speed enabled? It appears you don't and thus it's trying to remove the contacts speed (from a radio contact report) and replace it with a something like fast, slow, medium, etc. and it's failing when trying to do it. Which begs me to ask, what version of the .NET framework do you have installed on your computer? The mod uses items from v3.5 of the .NET framework and I would recommend installing v3.5 if you don't have it installed on your computer.
Old 07-18-10, 05:35 PM   #3536
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Hi Joe, I have intentions to try to Implement this in SH5 I have some graphics (WIP) done up for the RAOBF. They are not great will redo them in Autocad and finish 'em of in Photoshop.
Not sure how to do the Horizontal part via script maybe?

If I can get it working I will make it available for both Mods if wanted.
Mabe TDW would be interested in doing the scripting if needed

Reaper, I'll have a few free days soon, I could make a 3d model of it to make it look reaaaal good. But I'd need a really good version of the marks, just the marks in a clean tga file. BTW, why are you keeping the hole for the viewfinder? in SH5 you can make a new screen for the AOBF showing a zoomed out periscope. It would certainly look better and help clean up the view. All you'd need in the periscope view are 2 buttons (or one). You press it and start the stadimeter in "vertical" mode. Then click again to start it in "horizontal" mode. At the end you'd look at the AOB wheel and see the range next to the ship's length and the AOB all in one go. Which brings me to a small problem, maybe Joegrundman can help us out on this one: Where did they read the AOB?

As for the horizontal stadimeter, I've requested this time and time again: more control over the stadimeter. I doubt that we can make it work horizontally so I'll again suggest the method I wrote a few pages back:

Quote:
In a square triangle that has one angle of 26.565 degrees, the Tangent of the angle being 0.5, it means that one of the sides is twice as big as the other side. If we apply this to the stadimeter:

where A is an angle of (90-26.565 degrees) all the player needs to do is center the ship and then move the stadimeter until the fake ship touches the two green lines. The stadimeter will thenshow how many degrees the LENGTH of the ship occupies. With a bit of scripting, you could create 2 variables, StadiVertical and StadiHorizontal which move the inner dial and create a button that switches which variable is actually moving it. And the diagonal lines would only show when working in horizontal mode.
It's simple geometry really. I'll go ahead and create a version for KiUB to see how well it works in practice.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 05:49 PM   #3537
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I have the Error Replacing Contacts Actual Speed as well . I have .net 4 installed . Do i need to install .net 3.5 . thanks .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 05:55 PM   #3538
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
I have the Error Replacing Contacts Actual Speed as well . I have .net 4 installed . Do i need to install .net 3.5 . thanks .
nope. Now it sounds like something I need to look into
Old 07-18-10, 08:16 PM   #3539
Piggy
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake129 View Post
I am not sure if its because i am using this mod or not, but hopefully someone can help me. Whenever i try to dive below 100meters by clicking, the boat will not stop diving once it gets to my specified depth, and just keeps going down. I hit the button (shift+v i believe) and try to click at a higher depth and it just keeps going down. Anyone have any ideas about what is causing this?

Thanks
Cant help you because Im experiencing the same thing. Any depth set below 100m and the boat just keeps going down. It will only come up if I hit surface and raise engine speed past 2 knots, which of course isnt an ideal fix when you're trying to evade DD's.
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 09:47 PM   #3540
panzerschutze12ss
Watch

Downloads: 638
Default No text in message box

Don't know what the issue is but i have no text being input in the message box when i am in a campain game but works fine when in historical mission. Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong.
panzerschutze12ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui