SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-20, 08:22 AM   #3226
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1916 Irish republicans abandon the post office in Dublin and surrender unconditionally, marking the end of the Easter Rising.

1945 US Army liberates 31,601 people from the Dachau Nazi concentration camp in Germany.

1946 28 former Japanese leaders indicted in Tokyo as war criminals.

1981 Peter Sutcliffe admits he is the Yorkshire Ripper (murdered 13 women)

1990 Wrecking cranes began tearing down the Berlin Wall at the Brandenburg Gate.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 11:15 AM   #3227
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 Air New Zealand then known as TEAL makes its inaugural flight with a flight from Auckland to Sydney. Later becomes first airline in the world to boil hot water in-flight to offer customers hot tea and coffee.

1942 First submarine built on Great Lakes launched, (Peto), Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

1945 Lord Haw-Haw (William Joyce) calls for crusade against the Bolsheviks.

1945 Red Army opens attack on German Reichstag building in Berlin.

1945 Record 48 U-boats sunk by the Allies this month.

1945 Adolf Hitler commits suicide along with his new wife Eva Braun in the Fuhrerbunker in Berlin as the Red Army captures the city.

1980 Terrorists seize Iranian Embassy in London.

2008 Two skeletal remains found near Ekaterinburg, Russia, were confirmed by Russian scientists to be the remains of Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia and one of his sisters.

Old 04-30-20, 01:30 PM   #3228
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 alles kaput meets dogday afternoon(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1945 Adolf Hitler commits suicide along with his new wife Eva Braun in the Fuhrerbunker in Berlin as the Red Army captures the city.
Quote:
Junge—an eye-witness to bunker events—stated that Braun pleaded with Hitler to spare her brother-in-law and tried to justify Fegelein's actions. Junge said Fegelein was taken to the garden of the Reich Chancellery on 28 April, and was "shot like a dog" During the course of 29 April 1945, Hitler learned of the death of his ally Benito Mussolini at the hands of Italian partisans. This, along with the fact the Soviet Red Army was closing in on his location, strengthened Hitler in his resolve not to allow himself or his wife to be captured. That afternoon, Hitler expressed doubts about the cyanide capsules he had received through Heinrich Himmler's SS. By this point, Hitler regarded Himmler as a traitor. To verify the capsules' potency, Hitler ordered Dr. Werner Haase to test one on Blondi, who died as a result. Erna Flegel who met Hitler and worked at the emergency casualty station in the Reich Chancellery stated in 2005 that Blondi's death had affected the people in the bunker more than Eva Braun's suicide. Hitler's dog-handler Feldwebel Fritz Tornow took Blondi's pups and shot them in the garden of the bunker complex on 30 April, after Hitler and Eva Braun committed suicide. He also killed Eva Braun's two dogs, Frau Gerda Christian's dogs, and his own dachshund.
After one day of marriage! Having executed his brother-in-law, killed his dog Blondi to test the cyanide... and a suicide by 3:30 pm ....truly a 'dog day afternoon'
in the ol' Führerbunker! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Tornow

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 02:53 PM   #3229
_dgn_
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 331
Default Battle of Camarón

On 30th April 1863, in the "Hacienda Camarón" in Mexico, about sixty Legionnaires, belonging to the 3rd Company of the First Foreign Regiment and led by the Captain Jean DANJOU, withstood a force of 3,000 Mexican soldiers for most of the day.

The "Camerone spirit" was born ...

Now, it's time for the traditional blood sausage ... and for some (?) beers !

Cheers.
_dgn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 02:10 PM   #3230
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1707 Acts of Union comes into force, uniting England and Scotland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

1915 British liner Lusitania leaves NY for Liverpool.

1915 German submarine torpedoes US tanker Gulflight.

1919 British naval officer David Beatty is promoted to Admiral of the Fleet.

1943 Food rationing begins in the United States during World War II

1943 German plane sinks the British ship SS Erinpura in the Mediterranean with the loss of 799 lives.

1944 Messerschmitt Me 262 Sturmvogel, 1st jet bomber, makes 1st flight.

1945 About 1,000 citizens of Demmin in Germany, commit suicide provoked by occupation by Soviet Red Army.

1945 Admiral Karl Doenitz forms German government.

1946 Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery appointed British supreme commander.

1960 Russia shoots down Francis Gary Powers' U-2 spy plane over Sverdlovsk.

Old 05-02-20, 12:42 PM   #3231
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

2011: Osama bin Laden, the founder and first leader of the Islamist terrorist group, Al-Qaeda, was killed in Pakistan on May 2, 2011, shortly after 1:00 am by United States Navy SEALs of the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group (also known as DEVGRU or SEAL Team Six. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Osama_bin_Laden ...and promptly buried at sea:
Quote:
The Geneva Conventions call for burying enemies slain in battle, “if possible,” in accordance with their religion — which for Muslims means swift interment in soil, facing Mecca — and in marked graves. Still, some Islamic writings permit burial at sea during voyages. The burial memo, handled by Admiral Crawford, focused on that exception; ultimately, burial at sea is religiously acceptable if necessary, and is not a desecration, it said.
The lawyers decided that Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden’s home, must be asked whether it wanted his remains. If not, burial at sea would be permissible. As expected, the Saudis declined, officials said.
nice and tidy! https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/29/us/politics/obama-legal-authorization-osama-bin-laden-raid.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-02-20 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-02-20, 01:32 PM   #3232
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1945 More than 1,000,000 German soldiers officially surrender to the Western Allies in Italy and Austria.

1945 Battle of Berlin ends as Soviet army takes Berlin and General Weidling surrenders.

1982 Falklands War: Argentine cruiser General Belgrano sunk by British submarine HMS Conqueror, killing more than 350 men.

2011 Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind behind the September 11 attacks and the FBI's most wanted man is killed by US special forces in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Old 05-03-20, 01:36 PM   #3233
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 John McCrae writes the poem "In Flanders Fields"

1916 Irish Nationalists Patrick Pearse, Thomas MacDonagh and Thomas Clarke are executed by firing squad following their involvement in the Easter Rising.

1945 German ship "Cap Arcona" laden with prisoners sunk by Royal Air Force in East Sea, 5,800 killed - one of largest maritime losses of life.

1947 Japan's post-war constitution goes into effect, granting universal suffrage, stripping Emperor Hirohito of all but symbolic power and outlawing Japan's right to make war.

Old 05-04-20, 04:45 AM   #3234
ABBAFAN
Commander

Downloads: 0

4th May 1888, single screw freighter Titanic leaves Belfast on her maiden voyage to Glasgow.

4th May 1982, Royal Navy type 42 Destroyer HMS Sheffield hit by air launched Exocet missile during Falklands Conflict.
Old 05-04-20, 03:12 PM   #3235
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1904 Construction begins by the United States on the Panama Canal.

1979 Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman to be elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

1916 At request of US, Germany curtails its submarine warfare.

1917 A flotilla of US destroyer ships arrive in Queenstown, Ireland, to aid in convoying ships to England.

1945 German forces in Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands surrender unconditionally to British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery at Luneburg Heath.

1982 British destroyer HMS Sheffield hit by Exocet rocket off Falkland Islands: 20 of her crew died.

2018 California overtakes Great Britain to become the worlds fifth largest economy.

Old 05-04-20, 04:41 PM   #3236
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon8 kids killing kids

1970: Kent state massacre takes place exactly half a century ago while I'm in my Freshman year; four students, all unarmed, are fired upon by the National Guard at Kent State Ohio... I still remember where I was when I heard about it-ending my trust of Uncle Sam; and I've ocasionally wondered what file my own photo's in; having participated in a temporary takeover of my own school's Admin building in the same year??!! This photo won the Pulitzer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings and Neil Young responde with the iconic: Four Dead in Ohio ..

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-04-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 02:00 PM   #3237
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1955 West Germany is granted full sovereignty by its three occupying powers.

1945 Admiral Karl Dönitz, leader of Germany after Hitler's death, orders all U-boats to cease offensive operations and return to their bases.

1980 Siege at Iranian Embassy in London ends as the SAS and police storm the building.

1981 After 66 days on hunger strike, 26 year old Provisional IRA member and British MP Bobby Sands dies in the Maze Prison. Nine more hunger strikers die in the next 3 months.

Old 05-06-20, 01:55 PM   #3238
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1910 George V becomes King of the United Kingdom upon the death of his father, Edward VII

1937 German airship Hindenburg explodes in flames at Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 35 of the 97 on board and 1 on the ground.

1954 Roger Bannister of the UK becomes the 1st person to run a 4 minute mile, recording 3:59:4 at Iffley Road, Oxford.

Old 05-07-20, 01:17 PM   #3239
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 RMS Lusitania sunk by German submarine off the southern coast of Ireland; 1198 lives lost.

1919 A draft of the Versailles Treaty is shown to Germans.

1945 Unconditional German surrender to the Allies signed by General Alfred Jodl at Rheims.

Old 05-07-20, 01:33 PM   #3240
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1919 A draft of the Versailles Treaty is shown to Germans.

1945 Unconditional German surrender to the Allies signed by General Alfred Jodl at Rheims.
Putting 'paid' to the 1919 Armistice in the 40 year War(s)of Teutonic Expansion that butchered most of the 20th century and created the issues of the 21st; namely, N.Korea and China are now looking for 'their own 'place in the sun'....the Kaiser's original concept.