Old 12-31-23, 08:13 PM   #151
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Happy New Year to you too.

Mary will be addressed as Queen Mary and Crone Prince Frederik will be called King Frederik 10th.
What title our current Queen will get after her abdication I don't know.

Last time this happened in Denmark was 500 years ago.

Markus
Queen reverted to the title of Princess after her abdication in order to allow the successor, to become the new monarch. In the Netherlands, the title of "Queen" is reserved for the reigning monarch, so upon abdication, she took on the title of Princess. Think this will be the same in Denmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 10:03 AM   #152
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

ITV viewers vent their 'blood is boiling and feel sick to their stomach' just minutes into Mr Bates vs The Post Office

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...st-Office.html

None of those Post Office Executives have ever been to prison or will ever likely to step foot inside one either, when you're protected by the "Establishment" you are gifted a "Get Out Of Jail Card" which lasts until you exit this mortal realm.
The CEO, Paula Vennells was awarded a CBE in 2020, who nominated her and who signed it off is still a mystery, and all this was taking place while her and her cronies were under intense scrutiny in a court of law, goodness me, we've really let the establishment get away with this kind of behaviour for far too long.

Quote:
Post Office scandal
In December 2019, the Post Office paid out £58 million to sub-postmasters who were awarded compensation for past false prosecutions of monetary theft that had been based on faulty evidence from the Horizon IT system. The judge presiding on the case, Mr Justice Fraser, described the Post Office's approach to the case as "institutional obstinacy" that amounted, in reality, to bare assertions and denials that ignore what has actually occurred, at least so far as the witnesses called before me in the Horizon Issues trial are concerned. It amounts to the 21st century equivalent of maintaining that the earth is flat.
In January 2020, as the High Court case against the Post Office ended, Vennells's tenure as CEO was strongly criticised by Conservative peer Lord Arbuthnot, who said: "The hallmark of Paula Vennells' time as CEO was that she was willing to accept appalling advice from people in her management and legal teams. The consequences of this were far-reaching for the Post Office and devastating for the subpostmasters. However, there seem to have been no consequences for her."He described the behaviour of the Post Office under her leadership as "both cruel and incompetent", and said that "she was faced with a moral choice and she took the wrong one, the one which allowed hundreds of subpostmasters to be falsely accused, humiliated and ruined by the organisation she ran".
Edit.
I binge watched this 4 part programme last night and it was quite an eye opener.
Programme Rating 8\10

Last edited by Moonlight; 01-03-24 at 08:25 AM.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-24, 08:18 AM   #153
Moonlight
Admiral

Baroness Bra flogs her assets 'for a £29M loss': Michelle Mone and billionaire husband launch £80m fire sale of their £41m Caribbean villa, £7m superyacht and £7.5m private jet after her bank accounts were frozen amid PPE scandal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-scandal.html

As usual the media have got it wrong again, they do this on purpose to try and sensationalise everything, what the headline means is, if she sells them at the prices in the headline above she will make a loss of £29 million.
Rich people don't need to have a fire sale, they'll have friends who will give them access to money, all for the correct price of course, the items "Baroness Bra" is selling will sell themselves on their own merit, other rich people would buy them for a bit of a knockdown price but, fire sale?, Never.
Old 01-03-24, 01:49 PM   #154
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

China decided to exterminate sparrows and millions of people died

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...b318dacd&ei=10

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-24, 05:06 PM   #155
Moonlight
Admiral

BBC 'caught lying again' over resignation of Harvard's Claudine Gay

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...47cdeb5e3&ei=9

How many more times are the BBC going to keep shooting themselves in the bloody foot, our British government should have a clear out of these Woke idiots and employ people who have some common sense about them, come on, get on with it, the nations waiting.
Old 01-04-24, 01:13 PM   #156
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Game over! Teenager becomes first person to 'beat' Tetris

Quote:
A teenager from Oklahoma appears to have become the first person to "beat" Tetris.

Willie Gibson posted a video on YouTube which shows the moment when the classic video game crashes as he reaches level 157.

The stunned 13-year-old gasps: "Oh my god ... I'm going to pass out."

"I can't feel my fingers, I can't feel my hands… I'm going to pass out," Willie adds, as he tries to catch his breath. "I'm shaking so bad."

It took the teenager, who goes by the name blue scuti on YouTube, just 38 minutes to cause the game to crash - which has never been done by a human.

Tetris, which sees players manoeuvre and arrange falling blocks into complete lines which then disappear, was created by Soviet engineer Alexey Pajitnov in 1984.

As a player progresses, the speed of the falling blocks increases.

It was long believed that level 29 - which introduces the fastest speed in the game - was the furthest level possible.

Advertisement
But as YouTuber aGameScout explains in an analysis of Willie's achievement, someone finally hit level 30 in 2011.

Other human players have since managed to get even further but, until now, only AI computers have reached Tetris's true ending.

Willie wrote in his YouTube video description: "When I started playing this game, I never expected to ever crash the game, or beat it.

"This run was also the Overall Score, Level, Lines, and 19 Score world record."
https://news.sky.com/story/teenage-g...etris-13041615

Old 01-05-24, 07:24 AM   #157
Moonlight
Admiral

Joey Barton attacks ITV's FA Cup third-round punditry team with a sick taunt about Eni Aluko and commentator Lucy Ward, as he claims their coverage reached 'a new low'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-new-low.html

I agree with Joey about the female commentators, they are rubbish and I do turn the sound down too, but goodness me, comparing those two females to 2 serial killers is way out of line. Mr Barton, an apology is not enough this time, you should be made to teach them how to kick a ball, starting with yours first, I'm sure with practice they'll get really good at it.
Old 01-05-24, 08:27 AM   #158
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Four people died in a hospital fire in my home town last night.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-24, 09:34 AM   #159
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The couple who 'sold everything' to live on cruise ships for the rest of their lives

Quote:
John and Melody Hennessee plan to spend the rest of their lives cruising around the world - and they reckon it could be as much as half as expensive as their life on land.

The couple, originally from Florida, sold almost everything they owned three years ago, including their main business and their home, and bought a motorhome to travel around the United States.

But then John, 76, got tired of driving, says Melody, 64.

Then they saw an advert on Facebook for a 274-day cruise with Royal Caribbean, and their journey to a permanent life at sea began.

The pair are currently cruising around the Dominican Republic as part of the latest in a series of long-term sailings, which have taken them to places including Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific.

But while their new life is more exciting, they say it is cheaper too.

"We now have a telephone bill, a ship bill, and a few credit card bills for when we go ashore, but that's it," says John.

"We no longer have a mortgage or the expense of homes. We no longer have vehicle insurance, property insurance, or utility bills. The list goes on. We are certain cruising is cheaper.

"Right now it is probably close to half of what it was when we lived on land."
https://news.sky.com/story/the-coupl...lives-13028137

Old 01-06-24, 12:04 PM   #160
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostfriese View Post
Four people died in a hospital fire in my home town last night.

A fifth person died from his/her injuries yesterday, making it the deadliest hospital fire in Germany in at least a decade.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-24, 01:40 PM   #161
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A vase purchased for $3.99 sold for more than $100,000 at auction

Quote:
A person bought a glass vase for $3.99 at a Goodwill store in Richmond, Virginia, and then learned it was crafted by a famous Italian glass designer Carlo Scarpa. At auction, it went for more than $100,000.
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/19/12202...000-at-auction

Old 01-07-24, 08:57 AM   #162
Moonlight
Admiral

As Met Police confirm criminal probe, Jeremy Hunt says he will do 'everything' he can to speed up compensation to victims of Post Office scandal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-scandal.html

Firstly.
If the TV Programme Mr Bates vs The Post Office hadn't been made the government and the Post Office would have kept on dragging their feet until all the sub postmasters were dead and buried. Now it's out in the open the government will fast track it to make it seem as if they had complete control of it from start to finish.
By all means give the victims a proper compensation pay out (the current compensation package is not fit for purpose), but don't rush things so even more mistakes are made. After all it was both of your administrations that had both enabled Fujitsu to get away with this useless system called Horizon in the first place, and the sub postmasters have suffered enough from criminal injustice as it is.

Secondly.
There are certain executives from the Post Office and Fujitsu who need to be prosecuted, and anyone with inside knowledge of these crimes who was in government at the time should be held accountable as well. Will that happen?, things are moving in the right direction, but these people have powerful friends in the Establishment and the Prime Ministers cabinet office as well, so don't hold your breath.
Old 01-07-24, 01:55 PM   #163
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Pennsylvania couple left shocked after dog eats $4,000 in cash

Quote:
A couple in Pennsylvania have brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "my dog ate my homework" after their pooch, Cecil, devoured $4,000 (£3,148) in cash.

The seven-year-old goldendoodle started to chow down the pile of $100 and $50 notes after his owners, Clayton and Carrie Law, withdrew the cash to reportedly pay gardeners.

Having left the money on the kitchen counter, Mr Law shouted for his wife after it was nabbed by Cecil, who they said had "never really done anything bad before".

"He was shouting, 'Cecil ate $4,000!'" Mrs Law told the Pittsburgh City Paper.

"I ran in, thinking I had to have heard him wrong, but when I saw the mess, there was no doubt," she said.

"I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Cecil had really done it."

The couple then documented the painstaking process of trying to salvage as much of the money as they could, from bits Cecil had either thrown up or had reappeared after being passed through him naturally.

Posting on Instagram on 14 December, Mrs Law said they had managed to tape together $3,550 (£2,700) of the cash so far.

"There we are at the utility sink washing this s***** money, yelling 'Yay! Yes! We got one!' It smelled so bad," Mrs Law told the local paper.

Fortunately, the couple were told by the bank that as long as the serial number on the notes was visible, it would take back the chewed money.

"I never thought I'd be able to say I've laundered money, but there is apparently a first time for everything," Mrs Law told The Washington Post.
https://news.sky.com/story/pennsylva...-cash-13042006

Old 01-08-24, 01:41 PM   #164
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Camera catches mouse-proud rodent tidying man's shed

Quote:
A mouse-proud rodent has been caught on camera tidying up a man's shed.

75-year-old Rodney Holbrook, who lives in Powys, is a keen wildlife photographer.

But he got more than he bargained for when items in his shed were mysteriously put away at night.

"I've got a little box where I've got some nuts in that I can feed to the birds and I've got lots of other food in my bins and things," he told Sky News.

"One morning I went in early October and there were no nuts in there and I thought I put nuts in yesterday."

After the nuts disappeared on several occasions, some items started being put in the box.

"I had lots of bits of stuff I had on my bench all put in there and I thought I'm going to set up a night camera," he said.

"So I set that up and that's where I get these incredible videos of the mouse doing what it does."

The rodent - named Welsh Tidy Mouse - might not be a resident of the shed, according to Mr Holbrook, but he's there tidying "every night".

"I haven't found out how it's getting in so I don't think it's actually living in there. It could be," he added.

While the tidy mouse may be the cleanliness culprit, it's occasionally joined by some friends.

"It's only the one doing it, but I've had one video where I saw two on there, or three counting the one tidying up," Mr Holbrook added.

"He will eat the odd one or two nuts. I think what it's doing is piling things on top of it to hide them. This is what I think is happening, to hide the nuts from other mice or anything that might want to get to his stash."

Despite receiving advice about what Mr Holbrook's resident cleaner could tidy next, he is keen for the mouse to carry on as normal.

"I'm just leaving it as it is. People have said to me about putting things in to get some sort of funny videos," he said.

"But I just leave it naturally. Just naturally let whatever's going to happen happen."
https://news.sky.com/story/camera-ca...-shed-13044204

Old 01-09-24, 07:54 AM   #165
Moonlight
Admiral

Rishi Sunak gathers Cabinet to hammer out plan to clear Post Office scandal victims - as ministers hold talks with judges and warn Fujitsu it could face huge compensation bill

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pensation.html

Hahaha. Sunak's government are caught in the medias spotlights like rabbits in the night, after 13 years of ignoring the sub postmasters they are moving things along at breakneck speed, they'll do anything to get out of the spotlight even if they have to sacrifice some of their own to do it.

Those executives at the Post Office will feel the wrath of the government for dropping this mess in their lap, and a warning to Fujitsu too that they are in their sights as well. The IT firm behind the flawed Horizon software might end up facing a huge compensation bill if a public inquiry finds it was culpable.

Isn't it just wonderful what a simple TV drama can do for the victims, well, if it rights a lot of wrongs I'm all for it. As for those PO executives, maybe they'll have enough friends in high places to help them come out of this unscathed, and those who didn't have many friends are going to become the scapegoats, they accept the rewards of success and they know the price to pay of executive failure too.