Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-21, 05:21 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default The avocado thread

We haven't had a kitchen and food thread for quite some time now. Maybe time for another one? My suggestion is: avocados.

I learned about them last year. I came into contact with them before, but never knew what to do with them, and found them quite disgusting to eat. It just did not came to my mind that I should smash and spice them up, making dips, creams and filling of them. I treated them as an ordinary vegetable, or tried so, and that experiment failed terribly.

This has changed, I have beocme a big fan, and I know process one avocado in diffrent style as a topping or filling for baguette and flatbread, dressing for pasta and even boiled potatoe. Also as spread for simple bread.
I use three base recipes.

one avocado, some olive oil, water and lemon juice until it has a processable consistence, 1 clove of smashed garlic, salt, black pepper, plenty of wild garlic. On or in baguette, flatbread that is polstered with fresh Feta cheese, etc. - I kill for this.

one avocado, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, water, lots (!) of dill, anchovy paste, dried sea weed, nicely smashed in a blender. Then chop a few shrimps in and short so that they stay coarse. Spread a thin layer of the paste on the baguette or bread bag, like a sandwich with butter, then line the base with thin smoked salmon, and then cover this with the actual amount of avocado paste. - Not just for fish lovers!

one avocado smashed, then olive oil, salt, paprica powder, hilli powder, oregano, possibly thyme, rosemary, a lot of parmesan ! Add small pieces of paprika laid to taste in vinegar water and/or tomatoes; diced salami are also good, chopped onion. - Good basis for variations in Italian and Mediterranean taste experiments. Feta cheese.

The advantage of this food is: its extremely healthy, its tasty, it is easy to make, it is cheap, and it is delicous.

What are your favourite dishes with avocado? I know that some people treat and roast them in slices like any vegetable, but I have no idea what to do with them. Completely new dips made of them also would be interesting to know, sauces like the ones I described above. I think about trying them for something sweet, with fruits, honey, coconut oil and such: for pan cake maybe, or crepes.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-15-21 at 05:38 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 05:43 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Bleeding avocado Skybird, why not Schnitzel, or Labskaus, Königsberger klopse or Maultaschen, are you turning into a bloody yuppie you daft pillock, I wouldn't eat that garbage if you paid me.
Old 03-15-21, 06:41 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

I love original Wiener Schnitzel, I love it absolutely. I make them sometimes, but not too often, it give shell to the kitchen, the smell stays until the next day.

But Labskaus and Klopse I take as a personal insult, and Maultaschen is what I turn the other into when he tries to make me eating them.

I thought the same like you about Avocados, until I finally learned how great they are to be turned into dips, sauces, BBC marinades I assume as well, and the way I described it above. Better, far better taste than some industrially filled flasks with poisonous ready-to-eat sauces from the chemistry lab. Although I admit some of those sauces I like, too, namely Heinz sweet chilli sauce and P&W Burger Dressing (German-Danish recipe). Just does not serve my weight well. - Avocados taste as good or bad as you season them.

You see, I eat very fatty now. But it is good fats and oils, not that industrial waste they sell in the supermarkets, not bad fats and oils. Avocadoes have 15% fat. And I have started to loose weight that way! After christmas, it were awful 91 kg. Now I am in the 83s, after 2.5 months of eating fat. Thats a joke in itself. What I had to give: no sweets, no sugar, one fruit per day only, no alcohol (daily a glass of red vine before).

But lets leave this thread to avocados.

Heck, I must try them with mustard, I love mustard, the very simple ordinary German one.

Smashed Avocado, mustard. And honey, maybe? Yeah, honey. Maybe some Aceto Balsamico. Rosins. Some pine nuts (if my squirrels leave me some, they become quite shortlipped if it comes to their nuts...)

And while I think "sweet", I wonder about Avocado Asia style. Maybe with Indoesnian soy sauce: ketjap manis. Sharwood curry powder. Again some rosins. Mild, sweet begetable onions, these big ones, you know. But for what? Roasted beef and chicken? Sharply roasted beef and chicken, that sounds like a way to go.

Hell, I am hungry. Its 1 a.m.
Old 03-15-21, 08:14 PM   #4
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

one my favorite easy to make breakfasts, i like the colors too. lightly oil a frying pan with olive oil. overlap sliced tomato and avocado in the pan. mix two large eggs and pour over the veggies and cook, season too taste with whatever . turn, fold, and plate.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-15-21 at 08:23 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 09:43 PM   #5
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper. Mash and smash. Serve with tortilla chips, crusty bread, whatever.

There can be only one (recipe)...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 11:22 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Better yet, peel one ripe avocado using a potato peeler, slice into slices.

Squeeze juice from a freshly cut lemon or lime (key lime rocks if you can get it) over slices. Step back 2 meters/6 feet from slices and throw a small pinch of salt at the slices.

Start eating.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 06:31 AM   #7
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Better yet, step one, peel one over ripe avocado, squeeze cat piss from an innocent looking kitten, mix with freshly blended kitten faeces, garlic, onions and leeks. Step two, go outside and hide, pick your target (preferably someone you dislike) step back, take aim and throw.

Step three, make another one, if hungry, have a bite, no need to waste any, wait for the next victim, repeat.

No rodents were mistreated when testing this.
Old 03-16-21, 07:24 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
one my favorite easy to make breakfasts, i like the colors too. lightly oil a frying pan with olive oil. overlap sliced tomato and avocado in the pan. mix two large eggs and pour over the veggies and cook, season too taste with whatever . turn, fold, and plate.
Hm, that is roughly what I tried longe rtime ago to get the avocados into an eatable cdonditoion, but I failed miserably to add the needed taste to them. Any secret ingredient in your seasoning or herbs I should know of?

P.S.
Schabziger Klee! (=Blue fenugreek? Blue meliot?) I need to try it!
Old 03-16-21, 07:25 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper. Mash and smash. Serve with tortilla chips, crusty bread, whatever.

There can be only one (recipe)...
What is cilantro? Dont know the word, dont have it in the dictionary.
Old 03-16-21, 09:11 AM   #10
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
What is cilantro? Dont know the word, dont have it in the dictionary.
leaves from the coriander plant, in my neck of the woods found mostly in salsa and (surprise, surprise) guacamole.

My wife has 2 avocado trees in the yard a Pinkerton and a Haas, she usually slices it for salads, puts it on toast w/roasted sesame seeds, or makes a dip for crackers and chips.

FYI although I have to tend her trees I do not eat avocado, eating something that looks like it came out of the south end of a north bound baby just isn't appealing.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 09:17 AM   #11
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

Anyone care to post an exact recipe, i mean with definite quantities ?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 09:26 AM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Yea
Post a recipe where avocado is a part of the dish

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 09:37 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Regarding my three recipees, just dare to start. Tastes of peopel are different, the one prefers more and the next less salt, more fishy taste or less. The more intense a taste of an ingredient is, the smaller the ammount you get started with. Anchiva opaste for example is recommended to get started with slowly. Wild garlic on the other hand - one table spoon.

Just dare it.

Just short time ago I could not stand acovados, really. A total and complete Bäääh!. Now I love them!

Their advantage also is that they taste of almost nothing themselves, like pure fat, there only is a very mild nut arome. So they will taste according to what you add to them, you are free, like combining the spread on your pizza.

A tip: do buy them fresh, when they have no soft spots. But leave them in the wamrth at home until they get slightly soft if you squeeze them. They have formed a mild nuts aroma then, and are easier, softer to smash if you, like I prefer, want to turn them into a spread, dip, sauce. They are very fat, so hot, intense spicing is absolutely okay. I calculate with 1.5-2 cloves of garlic - per 1 avocado fruit!
Old 03-16-21, 02:02 PM   #14
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
What is cilantro?
Its kind of like punky lettuce. Like lettuce you found at the back of the cupboard, a couple of weeks after someone hid it there. Its also totally overblown in North America where its served in all Latino dishes, pancakes, tea, sports drinks, chewing gum, puddings, etc. Imagine dandelion leaves that taste disgusting.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 02:21 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

It's "Koreander", in German. Must have made a typo again when I was looking for it.

Pasta with a cream sauce made from cream with lots of lentils, braised in onions, with lots of coriander (an unbelievable lots of it), parmesan and cayenne pepper - delicious! The only way I eat lentils, and then can'T stop - actually I can't stand them little bugs.