SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-11, 02:57 PM   #5866
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNR View Post
Can we assume that if we load up SH3 with GWX and try to go online with a friend that is running the stock version of SHIII that it will not be a successful connection?
All players in multi play must have the same setup as the person who hosts the online session...a few exceptions are boat skins and gramaphone tracks.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 04:15 PM   #5867
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Stalking my first large convy off Ireland....

Just reading the GWX manual about approaching a convoy and it states "Your lookouts will generally let you know the general type of each ship eg cargo, coastal vessel, destroyer etc"

Erm....mine just say "Ship spotted".... a lot......

I get the Box that comes up that says either warship or merchant but my lookouts dont tell me squat

Whats up ?
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 04:22 PM   #5868
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

They don't "tell" you, but it appears that way on the map.
Old 04-03-11, 07:10 PM   #5869
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162

Ok....ta.

Just one other thing, reading the manual i see they have got rid of the renown for going to assigned grid and patrolling there.

So basically I dont need to bother, the world my lobster so to speak
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 09:10 PM   #5870
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
Just one other thing, reading the manual i see they have got rid of the renown for going to assigned grid and patrolling there.

Yup, there's no penalty for 'ignoring' orders and sailing where-you-will, or --- you can simply put the renown back in.

IMO, (from a late war realism point of view) it actually is somewhat of an achievement to return successfully from an assigned patrol grid. So, if you want to reinsert simply navigate to:

SH3\data\Cfg\Basic.cfg

Then scroll down (should be three items from the top) to:

[RENOWN]
RenownReachGridObjCompleted=0
RenownPatrolGridObjCompleted=0
CompletedPatrol=0
NEUTRAL=-1
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=100
SecondRankRenown=350
EndCampaign=-5000

and edit the Renown values to taste.

Last but not least, enjoy the extra renown!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 09:47 PM   #5871
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I don't care if there's renown involved or not. I go to my assigned grid and stay there for at least two weeks, and even if ordered to move (die roll) I still don't move more than one grid over.
Old 04-04-11, 01:59 PM   #5872
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
Ok....ta.

Renown was indeed removed for reaching then remaining in patrol grid for 24 hours but we never touched the return to base renown.....it's never worked

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 01:17 PM   #5873
MerchantMarine1982
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Thanks for the help Sailor Steve, still not sure I know what I'm doing....the files I have in the mods folder are off my external hard drive from another computer so I don't know if i should simply delete them, or if I can use them for anything. I screen captured the folder but inserting an image requires it to be online already or something.

I have been playing sh3 on low realism settings, right now i think i've gone through several patrols. its a great game, but i think i have the stock fatigue thing worked out...as long as i have the time compression up to 128, there seems to be no fatigue. when i reach my patrol grid i cruise at ahead standard, 1/2 hour before change of watch i dive the boat and run silent so we can listen for any distant contacts. after the change of watch we remain submerged and silent for another half hour. before surfacing i go to ahead standard again to periscope depth to check the surface before surfacing.

I find myself playing the stock sh4 quite often though i enjoy my uboat campaign. just returned from a mission where i had to hunt down a pair of british KG5 battleships.
MerchantMarine1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 11:28 PM   #5874
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantMarine1982 View Post
I screen captured the folder but inserting an image requires it to be online already or something.
Use a free picture-hosting service. I use www.photobucket.com. Once you register they explain how to upload your pictures, then with one click you can copy the picture and paste it here, and here it will stay.

Quote:
when i reach my patrol grid i cruise at ahead standard,
I always use Ahead 1/3 (#2 position) to get to and from my assigned grid, and Ahead Slow (#1 position) once I'm there. Fuel lasts a lot longer that way.

Quote:
I find myself playing the stock sh4 quite often though i enjoy my uboat campaign. just returned from a mission where i had to hunt down a pair of british KG5 battleships.
I play Op Monsun with SH4. Some of the features are better than SH3, but it hasn't been modded as heavily, so I still play both.
Old 04-17-11, 12:46 AM   #5875
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Use a free picture-hosting service. I use www.photobucket.com. Once you register they explain how to upload your pictures, then with one click you can copy the picture and paste it here, and here it will stay.

I always use Ahead 1/3 (#2 position) to get to and from my assigned grid, and Ahead Slow (#1 position) once I'm there. Fuel lasts a lot longer that way.

I play Op Monsun with SH4. Some of the features are better than SH3, but it hasn't been modded as heavily, so I still play both.
Just out of curiousity what features do you find better in OM than SHIII?? Personally, I liked the graphics, water, fog and such. Other than that, every thing else was iffy for me. Not saying it wasnt a good mod, just didnt fit me too well.
Old 04-20-11, 12:57 PM   #5876
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Im not understanding the current problem i am having.

I install Sh3. Everything fine
I install GWX 3.0 everything fine.
I install SH3 commnader and then the GWX cfg files for SH3- i get no sound coming from the crew. So frustrating. I dont know whats going on with my files in SH3 but i cannot get anything going, its been weeks. I did fresh install same thing and still i get the no sound. Is this anything i can just remedy without uninstalling/reinstalling for the 100th time?

Thanks All!!!
Old 04-20-11, 01:02 PM   #5877
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

I'm not sure but I seem to remember there was maybe something about a "no sound" issue in the Troubleshooting section near the end of the Commander User Guide?

Aha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
The SH3Cmdr User Guide is your friend. Read the "Since using SH3 Commander I can no longer hear speech or most sound effects" FAQ on page 29.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 02:29 PM   #5878
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I'm not sure but I seem to remember there was maybe something about a "no sound" issue in the Troubleshooting section near the end of the Commander User Guide?

Aha...

ah.. looked through the guide and missed it. Guess thats why its good to ask! Thanks FRAU!!!!!!
Old 04-20-11, 02:30 PM   #5879
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
ah.. looked through the guide and missed it. Guess thats why its good to ask! Thanks FRAU!!!!!!
You're welcome, hope that fixes it for you.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 11:17 PM   #5880
tom_bz
Nub

Downloads: 20

I know that GWX gets rid of friendlies, neutral and enemies when u make contact. Is there anyway to change this back to original SH3 so that on the map it reads red for enemies and blue for friendlies? Love the rest of the mod just like that my crew could tell me if it was a good guy or bad guy.

Thanks
tom_bz is offline   Reply With Quote