Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-13, 07:04 PM   #91
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Interesting. While my child is actually named Barrett (Not for the gun), consider my weapon of choice both on Cape buffalo (inlaws) and required minimum on conducted reservation bison hunts in Montana: The Browning stainless .375 H&H bolt-action on Harris bipod with BOSS compensator with breakaway Nikon .40 mm. obj. scope to resort to iron sights if damaged or fogged. Works well with nosey polar bruins when caribouing(providing you see them first) and on my MN moose in the Quetico when culling is permitted. We open the ball at 400 yards...and you can carry it! The Barrett .50 is just too weighty for old guys!
Browning makes some pretty good stuff.

I wouldn't want the Barrett M82 anyway...

I want the Barrett M109...

Old 09-01-13, 07:20 PM   #92
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I do not see any practical use for that.That is a 100% military grade weapon.Also it is XM109 it has not been approved by the DoD yet.

Might as well just use a 25mm Bushmaster like the LAV-25 and Bradley also they mount them on USN ships as away to greet small vessels.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 09:05 PM   #93
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I do not see any practical use for that.That is a 100% military grade weapon.Also it is XM109 it has not been approved by the DoD yet.

Might as well just use a 25mm Bushmaster like the LAV-25 and Bradley also they mount them on USN ships as away to greet small vessels.
I know there's absolutely no use for it other than military uses...but heck...

YOU HAVE A BARRETT THAT SHOOTS 25MM GRENADES!!!!

Million times cooler than a normal .50 BMG
Old 09-01-13, 11:39 PM   #94
Stealhead
Navy Seal

When another round comes along that does the many things that the .50BMG can and be effective for 94 years that is the point at which I will be impressed.

That XM109 I assume is going to use same 25mm rounds that another army project(that got canceled) uses.Which is an air burst round.Thing is those type round need laser to tell them at which point to burst.Which is actually a negative for two reasons
1.Lasers tend to have trouble with a good return during in climate weather(mist,fog,rain,dust)
2.Targets usually move which means that by the time the rounds get to point x the target may be far enough away from point x that the shrapnel does not hurt him.In addition it being a small 25mm round it more or less has to air burst to be effective against a target due to low blast radius.With an LGB it has been dropped form great height and has algorithms hit a moving target.

In short aginst a soft target I would rather have a 40mm grenade weapon(higher kill radius also more bang juice inside a 40mm).
And against a hard target LAW,Javelin similar weapon.This XM109 tries to be a jack of all trades which makes it a master of none.
Old 09-02-13, 06:42 AM   #95
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I know there's absolutely no use for it other than military uses...but heck...

YOU HAVE A BARRETT THAT SHOOTS 25MM GRENADES!!!!

Million times cooler than a normal .50 BMG
Can you imagine how much it would cost to feed that thing in today's market on ammunition and reloading supplies?
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 08:47 AM   #96
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Can you imagine how much it would cost to feed that thing in today's market on ammunition and reloading supplies?
Yeah...don't think about that... Haha.

SHHHHHHHH!!!! You'll cost me money for even thinking about how much that'd cost.
Old 09-02-13, 09:34 AM   #97
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Found this one in a local pawn shop:

Mauser Kar98, 1915 Erfurt. It seems this one has parts of at least 3 other Mauser's on it. The bolt and bottom magazine cover are each from a different rifle. Rifle butt and barrel are still original.

It needs some work, but the action still works fine. Might take it to a gunsmith and have it checked before I take it to a range.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 10:47 AM   #98
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Yea definately could use some work, but could be a diamond in the rough. How much you pay for it if you don't mind my asking?
Old 09-02-13, 10:52 AM   #99
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Yea definately could use some work, but could be a diamond in the rough. How much you pay for it if you don't mind my asking?
$250, which imho seemed to be reasonable. It does not has any of the Wehrmacht/Nazi Germany stamps on it, which would indicate that it is "Imperial Era".
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 11:39 AM   #100
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
In short aginst a soft target I would rather have a 40mm grenade weapon(higher kill radius also more bang juice inside a 40mm).
And against a hard target LAW,Javelin similar weapon.This XM109 tries to be a jack of all trades which makes it a master of none
If you know what LAW or Javelin is or 40mm grenade launcher you should also know that you compare apple and oranges.
This gun has nothing to do with them.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 12:21 PM   #101
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomen View Post
$250, which imho seemed to be reasonable. It does not has any of the Wehrmacht/Nazi Germany stamps on it, which would indicate that it is "Imperial Era".
Yeah 250 seems reasonable. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything more inexpensive then a Mosin. Those run 170 to 200ish depending on the condition, so 250 ain't bad. Nice find.
Old 09-02-13, 02:41 PM   #102
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH View Post
If you know what LAW or Javelin is or 40mm grenade launcher you should also know that you compare apple and oranges.
This gun has nothing to do with them.

Which is why I said soft target 40mm GL hard target LAW or Javelin read the entire post please.

The XM109 is billed as an anti-materiel weapon which LAW and Javelin would be much better at.
Old 09-04-13, 08:09 PM   #103
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Here's one of mine, an Arisaka Type 99 war trophy. The vet who brought it home did the varnish job and I've been very tempted to restore the original finish, however since these had almost no finish when new, I've just left it as is.

The sling is a reproduction as is the muzzle dust cover. This one is from 1943 most likely and saw very little service. It also was not issued with the bolt dust cover, although it has one added by the vet, nor did it ever have a cleaning rod. The Mum is intact so theoretically it's still the Emporer's property, and there are no import markings. The only real regrets I have are the original rubberized canvas sling went missing, and the vet's certificate is lost.

Oh and here is some original finish inside the stock.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 08:28 PM   #104
Stealhead
Navy Seal

It still has the Emperors mark those are not as common.The bolt handle is machined interestingly I assume to make production more rapid as opposed to a more rounded bolt. I agree restore the finish.

I have fired a T 99 before decent rifle really.

Too bad you do not have an early production version that had super insane anti-aircraft sight that folded down on either side of the leaf.I think they got rid of them because they knew they where pointless.
Old 09-04-13, 08:57 PM   #105
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

There's a two page ID form on these and every detail has about five variations. I don't like the shine either but to restore it to originality means effectively no finish, plus the stock is very clean and sharp with pretty much no dings or scratches. And I agree the AA sight is cool.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles