SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which would you like to see?
Celnav added to a game. 3 50.00%
A new navigation game. 3 50.00%
Neither: bad idea. 1 16.67%
Indifferent. 0 0%
Other (please elaborate). 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-21, 07:33 AM   #1
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Default Navigation Game Wishlist

For a long time I've wished there was a nautical game or sim that had accurate celestial navigation in it. And I was just thinking: I know how to make that work. At least in theory. So I wonder if there are any developers out there who would be willing to either add it to an existing game or - better yet - make a simple [or even complex] navigation simulator.

I have all of the formulas and algorithms ready to go in my spreadsheet (available here). It would just be a matter of tweaking them to work in whatever language the developer uses. And I could certainly provide some guidance should any problems arise. I even have a little bit of experience programming (I know: a little knowledge ... ).

I don't think it would be a trivial undertaking and I am in no position to finance the operation, so I'd understand if there were no takers. But if there were, I'd love to see:

• A semi-accurate representation of Earth. Land masses could be complete abstractions, but positions and scaling would ideally be accurate.
  • A choice of at least one simple motor vessel and/or sailing vessel. (Sailing mechanics need not be included and could be controlled by a simplified "auto-pilot". In fact, I'd prefer that.)
  • A simple [procedural] weather/current model. (If an accurate current model could be implemented, that would be awesome.)
  • Accurate celestial and navigational models (of course).
  • Some way during or after the voyage to compare one's fixes with the actual ship's positions to assess one's performance.
  • A radar model and other ship traffic would be super cool, but not necessary.
Anyway, it'll probably never happen. But it didn't cost me anything to throw it out there, I guess. Whaddya think?

(Poll never expires, multiple choice allowed, results public.)

Tags
celestial, game, navigation, sim, wish list