SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-09, 07:10 AM   #1
JALU3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default "The Big E" CVN-65

The Big E goes into DryDock

Quote:
USS Enterprise, the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, is headed into Extended Drydocking Selected Restricted Availability (EDSRA). ESDRA is less extensive than a refueling and complex overhaul (RCOH) that refuels the ship’s nuclear reactors. Even so, this procedure still put “The Big E” into drydock for about 16 months to receive restoration and upgrades of all subsystems that affect combat capability and safety, plus hull inspections and recoating, radiological surveys, and other maintenance related evolutions below the waterline. The EDSRA will also address the propulsion system, and provides sufficient time to perform more extensive propulsion plant repairs and testing than a more conventional Extended Selected Restricted Availability (ESRA), which Enterprise experienced in 2002.
Now I know what you're thinking. Why am I posting this? Well here's the thing, unlike many firsts when it comes to Nuclear Powered vessels, those that have been decommissioned and striken, except for the ex-USS Nautilius, the others have meet the fate that is known as the SSP, such as the ex-CGN-9.
The Navy in recent change of plans, have asked Congress to allow the number of Carriers in service to be reduced to 10, temporarily (or so they say), in order to allow for CVN-65 to be retired early in the late 2012 or 2013 time frame. That means that is even less time for preservation groups, to petition for making the Enterprise a Museum Ship. I would hate to see the Big E end up like her predecessor. So while things haven't been finalized, maybe it's time to mobilize like minded individuals and see what can be done in finding support for the Enterprise to become a Museum Ship.
sense of right and wrong."
-Sloan, Section Thirty-One
JALU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 07:30 PM   #2
Hellcat
Ensign

Downloads: 7

I also thought it was a shame to have scrapped CV-6 considering all the historic actions she participated in or for that matter what they did to CV-3 USS Saratoga...

Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 01:01 AM   #3
Max2147
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 0

It was downright criminal what they did to CV-6. I can't think of any ship that has served the United States with more distinction than that ship, yet it still got the scrapper's torch.
Max2147 is offline   Reply With Quote