SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-17, 01:21 PM   #151
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Earlier I was wondering if they would add 6 to this 5 scale they use.

Now I got the answer why this will not be the case.

Quote:
Why is Category 5 left as the upper, unbounded section?
According to Robert Simpson, one of the brainchildren behind the SSHWS, the reason that Category 5 has no successor is that the scale is meant to infer the damage a hurricane would cause to human infrastructure. Almost any building experiencing sustained Category 5 winds simply won’t survive
http://www.iflscience.com/environmen...hurricane-get/

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 07:31 PM   #152
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Just thought this needed to be posted.

Old 09-14-17, 07:24 AM   #153
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ This video is not available

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 09:20 AM   #154
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

We're not normal here in Daytona Beach.

Taken from my sister-in-law's condo. We have about four miles of riverfront that are under water two or three blocks in from the riverbank. I'm working on three computers now that went for a swim in salt water. They could be basket cases.

At my home in DeLand, Duke Energy says they'll have me back in power by Sunday midnight. Then they'll hit me with about a thousand dollar repair fee so they can run their fragile broken system at a profit and repair it at a profit too. They should be prohibited from charging customers to fix it and then we'd have something better than a third world electrical system overnight. But it's not going to happen until breakdowns cost them money. Now breakdowns are a profit center.

If power outages cost them money, we'd have a first-rate, resilient power system over night.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:00 AM   #155
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Then they'll hit me with about a thousand dollar repair fee so they can run their fragile broken system at a profit and repair it at a profit too. They should be prohibited from charging customers to fix it and then we'd have something better than a third world electrical system overnight. But it's not going to happen until breakdowns cost them money. Now breakdowns are a profit center.

If power outages cost them money, we'd have a first-rate, resilient power system over night.
Thanks for the update and of course we never hear about these things happening on CNN ... that is horrible that they would charge to get you back up and running. Just think of all the people that can't afford to pay these highway robbers and have their homes taken away form them with a court order.

A class action lawsuit might be in order
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:15 AM   #156
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default More bad business in senior care facility

After the photo of seniors sitting in a flooded Houston care facility; this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/us/nursing-home-deaths-florida.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 12:26 PM   #157
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
But it's not going to happen until breakdowns cost them money. Now breakdowns are a profit center.

Sadly, we can't expect corporations to make these decisions unless it affects profit.
Old 09-14-17, 12:30 PM   #158
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

They're charging you for the hook up from the pole to your house no doubt.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 02:50 PM   #159
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Supposedly they take the repair costs (plus......) and divide them by the number of customers and voila! $1,000 please.
Old 09-14-17, 09:06 PM   #160
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ This video is not available
I just tested it again and it worked for me. I don't know what to say. It might be something to do with international borders, or different copyright laws. Sorry about that.
Old 09-14-17, 10:05 PM   #161
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Supposedly they take the repair costs (plus......) and divide them by the number of customers and voila! $1,000 please.
I'm sure your telling the truth RR, but I did a search on Bing and only find this ...

The Latest: Power slowly returning; millions still without
By By The Associated Press

Quote:
4:40 p.m.

Millions in Florida remain without power but the lights are continuing to come on across the state.

Florida officials and utilities report Thursday afternoon that 2.31 million homes and businesses are still without power. The total number of people who remain without electricity at those homes and business is larger.

In the immediate aftermath of the storm, roughly 65 percent of all homes and businesses in the state were in the dark. That has dropped to 22 percent.

Florida Power & Light, the state's largest utility, has said it plans to have east coast customers restored by Sunday. But FPL said it will take until Sept. 22 to restore power to the battered areas in southwest Florida.
or achievement

Old 09-15-17, 04:44 AM   #162
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
I just tested it again and it worked for me. I don't know what to say. It might be something to do with international borders, or different copyright laws. Sorry about that.
No problem matey, these things can happen from time to time.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 07:13 PM   #163
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Josie back as a Cat 1:

plus another storm is forming in the Atlantic no name yet

Quote:
Elsewhere, a new tropical depression formed far out over the Atlantic and is expected to become a tropical storm.
The National Hurricane Center said the depression’s maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph and it is forecast to strengthen
to a tropical storm later on Friday or on Saturday.
or achievement

Old 09-16-17, 06:37 PM   #164
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Well, that one is Jose, a hurricane bound for New England.

I finally got my power back today, six days after hurricane day Sunday. I've been far enough out of touch I have no idea what irma did to Cedar Key.

I do know it did a crazy Ivan and tore right toward Orlando after it passed Tampa. Prominent weathermen didn't interpret the move for what it was, just a big wobble for a big storm and changed their forecast, sending to Jacksonville. Of course it was only a wobble, as storms do and big storms like Irma have big wobbles. It wobbled back to its original course and continued on track as forecast after making fools of the local weather experts. Hurricanes are good at that.

As a result, Orlando and DeLand received winds between 90 and 110 mph for most of the day. Talk about loud, the howling alone could kill. I tracked the storm without power or internet (lost power a full 10 hours before the storm really affected me) I tracked the storm by wind direction. Lay a try square along the wind direction and the right angle beam points to the center of the storm. So if the wind is going south to north, the storm bears west of you. When the wind backed around toward the west, I knew it was headed north.

Then I waited in perfect weather six days for Duke Energy to turn the power back on. Waiting for the other shoe to drop to see how much they will charge us for having a lousy infastructure which has had no progress in sixty years, which breaks whenever someone says "wind" in a loud voice.
Old 09-18-17, 11:56 AM   #165
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Hurricane Maria Cat 3 on the way to who knows where ... I hope it doesn't hit the same places twice. They say there have never been two major hurricanes in the Caribbean in the same year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...OCID=CALHeader

Quote:
The storm was on a path that would take it near many of the islands already wrecked by Hurricane Irma and then on toward Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Maria could hit Puerto Rico on Wednesday as a Category 3 or 4 hurricane, said Ernesto Morales with the U.S. National Weather Service in San Juan.

This is an image from Hurricane Irma damage in Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands.

Wouldn't this be a dreamers paradise to own a bar there?
or achievement

Tags
hurricane