Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-19, 02:42 PM   #9121
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

No wonder, since Italy's right wingers are in line with brexit.
Salvini’s Northern League and Luigi Di Maio’s Five Star Movement in Italy is held up by the European right as an example of how they can get to power, with Steve Bannon trying to speed it all up together with Farage.
Maybe you could join forces and have finally your war, against France? With Farage as PM?
Frankly, there is not much making sense anymore.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-10-19, 04:02 PM   #9122
Catfish

It's so simple: All countries except Great Britain are leaving the EU and form a new alliance:

https://www.der-postillon.com/2019/0...e-allianz.html

Google translate:
https://translate.google.com/transla...e-allianz.html

Last edited by Catfish; 02-11-19 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 06:27 AM   #9123
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Frankly, there is not much making sense anymore.
On that we can both most definitely agree

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-11-19, 08:55 AM   #9124
Catfish

There could be an adddendum to the Magna Charta, like ": "(...) if þe Pryme Ministre screweth uppe majorly, þe Kynge or Qween shall regaine thereupon His or Her powre and rule as in olde tymes (...)"

Old 02-11-19, 11:51 AM   #9125
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Theresa May will update MPs on Tuesday about recent Brexit talks as she continues to seek support for her deal.

She visited Dublin and Brussels last week seeking EU agreement on changes to the backstop - the "insurance" policy to avoid the return of visible Northern Ireland border checks.

Last month MPs - who will debate Brexit on Thursday - voted for the PM to find alternatives to the current backstop.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47192233
Unless she knows something nobody else does I suspect she'll have little or nothing to report.

The burning question for me is the fact both Ireland and the Uk have both stated they will not put up a border, so who will? The EU and their army?

Another fact I'd like clarafication on is what exactly are these so called 'alternative arrangements' she keeps making mention of?

Old 02-11-19, 11:57 AM   #9126
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Disgraced MP Fiona Onasanya will be paid salary in prisonhttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mp-fiona-onasanya-is-jailed-for-three-months-but-keeps-her-job-kfjjrktgs?fbclid=IwAR0YrSw-hA14WwczBKlhejs25Z41GHY_54ynLMUqJg7qSBpER8o__b05CM w
Absolutely disgraceful

Old 02-12-19, 02:20 AM   #9127
Catfish

Driving at 41mph in a 30mph zone

Old 02-12-19, 05:59 AM   #9128
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Absolutely disgraceful
Told You.

Moving on to mad dog Jezzer I don't know if you picked up on what TalkRadio dug up on him to which he will say well that was 10 years ago and my view point has changed.

https://talkradio.co.uk/news/exclusi...ch-19021129836

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 02-12-19, 07:35 AM   #9129
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Unless she knows something nobody else does I suspect she'll have little or nothing to report.

The burning question for me is the fact both Ireland and the Uk have both stated they will not put up a border, so who will? The EU and their army?
The Republic will do it all by itself. While its leader some days ago initially said they had no started to prepare for it and refuse to do so, he triggered a wave of almost condemnations from Eu leaders in the background, and just two days after these more or less unhidden threats were issued started a different vocabulary to use that tries to egg-dance between pleasing the Eu demand for such a border in case of a hard Brexit, and not slamming the news into the Irish people's face, and instead wrapping it in weasel-words.

When he has to choose between remaining integrated into the EU common market and custom union, and avoiding a border regime to the North - guess what they will do. If they do not run a hard border, they will pratcically get exlcuded from tax union and common market, with the EU's oute rborder then beign etsablished between the continent - and the Republic.

I think May now tries to kill time until the very last day so that on this last day then she can blackmail parliament with "either my deal or no deal". In content and argument, she has no options at all, so she has to play tactics and tricks.

Thats the issue with bureaucrats and polticians. They do not care for content and the spirit of intentions, they just care for formnalities being met and trying to get away with that. The tyranny of bureaucrats and lawyers. The regime of clerks. Clerkonomy.
Old 02-12-19, 07:44 AM   #9130
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Well there are only 27 Commons normal working days left before Brexit unless she goes for an extension.

Quote:
Brexit talks are at a "crucial stage", Theresa May will tell MPs as she updates them on the negotiations.

The PM will say "we now all need to hold our nerve" to get the changes needed to get her Brexit deal through Parliament by the 29 March deadline.

She has been trying to secure changes to the backstop arrangement - the "insurance" policy to avoid a return to border checks on the island of Ireland.

The EU has reiterated it will not renegotiate the withdrawal agreement.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47206286

Old 02-12-19, 08:04 AM   #9131
Catfish

Does she know something.. I take it Mrs May seems to have a bit more knowledge about economy, or she listened to her advisors.

Also regarding the 'referendum' " ... rather than referring to the 'advisory intent' of the original authorisation, the Tories and UKIP managed to persuade everyone that it is a binding 'simple majority' decision and the will of the people...."

It was only after both sides (but most obviously 'leave') misrepresented the nature and intent of the referendum, and material facts about the current state and potential impacts in the future that "bad things" started to happen.

Old 02-12-19, 10:51 AM   #9132
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Does she know something.. I take it Mrs May seems to have a bit more knowledge about economy, or she listened to her advisors.
She looked very confident on tv in the Commons today so she either does know something or she is a seriouly good poker player.

Old 02-12-19, 11:03 AM   #9133
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The Prime Minister will quit her job in the summer – just weeks after Brexit – according to members of her inner circle.

The Conservative leader will call the leadership contest shortly after leaving the European Union, The Sun reports, but remains hopeful she can pick her replacement to prevent a successful Boris Johnson bid.

According to Cabinet ministers the Prime Minister has hinted to them personally she will trigger a Tory leadership race to end at the party's annual conference in October.https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout
I was half expecting this tbh

Old 02-13-19, 02:43 PM   #9134
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

That is why I said from beginning on an all-or-nothing-at-all-approach must be chosen that combines a rough Brexit with a revolution of the tax and FIAT money regime, as well as seeking greater productive and consummative autarky. In parts a copying of the Russian reaction to sanctions several years ago. I wrote a brief essay on that somewhere over two years ago. That just paste-and-copying exiosting trade treaties into new arranbegments would not be accepted by other "partners" that now are in a stronger position - wasn't this clear from all beginning on? Apparently not in Londown. Maybe due to the English mist.

German original source:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soz...a-1253095.html

Quote:

For Doubters, Liam Fox had no patience. "All the cowards who say we can not do that, say absolute crap," said Britain's Minister of International Trade. By March 29, the day of Brexit, the 40 free trade agreements between the EU and other countries will have been copied. "One second past midnight," they would come into force for Great Britain, Fox called cheering supporters of his Tory party.

That was in early October 2017. It has long since become clear that Fox will not be able to keep his promise. Just last week, he had to let industry officials meet in a confidential meeting, arguing that Brexit would also lose access to most international EU trade agreements.

How gloomy the situation looks but exactly, could keep London so far secret. However, an exchange of correspondence between the British government and the EU Commission, which is in the SPIEGEL, now shows the full extent of Fox's failure. A list in it indicates that by the end of January, London has not been able to continue any of the more than 40 EU trade agreements with third countries.

Since then, the British got only four successor contracts, but the volume should be manageable. The partners are

Switzerland,
Chile,
the East and South African trade association ESA
and the Faroe Islands.

The Government of Prime Minister Theresa May has also reproduced only a fraction of several hundred other international agreements of the EU - such as air transport, fisheries or legal cooperation.

The list is part of a letter from Tim Barrow, London Ambassador to Brussels, to Martin Selmayr. In mid-December, the powerful Secretary-General of the European Commission reminded Barrow in writing of the obligation of the British to keep the Commission informed about negotiations with third countries, provided that EU competences are touched. Selmayr demanded "timely" information on any such agreement that Britain is currently negotiating or intending to negotiate until Brexit.

On January 25, Barrow's response fluttered to the Berlaymont, the Commission's headquarters - and its content is expected to further increase the nervousness of the UK economy. She fears anyway an unregulated Brexit, through which she loses overnight access to the internal market and the customs union of the EU. Now there is also the hope that at least trade with the more than 60 third countries will be spared from the disaster that accounts for 11 to 15 percent of British exports.

In any case, the British will lose access to the EU's treaties with third countries through Brexit, regardless of whether or not they still succeed in withdrawing from Brussels. So there must be successor agreements. No problem, the Brexiteers in the Tory Party claimed: Countries like Canada or Japan just have to copy their treaties with the EU for the UK, an easy exercise.

But this plan has gone completely wrong. In addition to the four recently concluded treaties, Ambassador Barrow's list includes only one more trade agreement to be "sealed" shortly - with the Cariborum Caribbean group of states. Overall, therefore, nothing that could significantly cushion the economic consequences of an unregulated Brexit. The successor agreements are intended as an emergency measure for exactly this "no deal" Brexit, as Barrow emphasizes in his letter to Selmayr.

It does not look much better with the hundreds of other EU international treaties: only 21 could take over Britain by the end of January. These include aviation agreements with the United States, Canada and seven smaller states, agreement with Washington on insurance companies and contracts with a handful of countries on civil nuclear cooperation. After all, the British were able to come to terms with Australia via the wine trade, and with New Zealand through trade in animals.

Successors to the large caliber under the EU trade agreements but - for example, those with Canada, Japan, South Korea, Mexico or Turkey - you look on the list in vain. It is the end of Brexiter's popular fantasy that powerful economies were eager to transfer their treaties with the EU to Britain after Brexit.

Instead, it seems that many experts have long warned that countries like Canada or Japan see little reason to give the small UK the same terms as the much larger EU. In addition, London is under time pressure and desperately needs new agreements. For the most lengthy and complex talks on free trade agreements, that is a very bad thing.

The British had to first encounter this reality in January, when a Japanese delegation appeared in London. A simple copy-and-paste of the existing agreement, so much the representatives of Tokyo made clear, will not exist. Instead, one would calmly negotiate tariffs, rules and quotas. Tokyo, it was said, was confident that it would produce better conditions than with the EU.

What would happen if Britain were no longer profitable for foreign investors in the future, Japan's ambassador in London already made it clear a year ago: "No private company could then continue its business," said Koji Tsuruoka just outside the door of the headquarters of Prime Minister May. "It's that simple."
The punishement for two years of reality-denial, lack of detemrination and consequence, and half-hearted messing about with things that were notoriously glossed over.

They wanted instead to just stick with the old ways and illusions. Now the price for that indifference is being revealed.

I expected a very different policy drafting after the referendum. After all the British state adminstration model and bureaucracy once was world-famous for its efficiency and competence. Well - "once upon a time..."
Old 02-14-19, 02:26 AM   #9135
Catfish

I wonder what Fararage and his circus say when they come to hell and find out there is not even a special place for them.

I guess May is heading for a "no deal" hard brexit now, they do not want another solution. After negotiating for two years and talking with the EU, advisors, opposition and party members, the latter decided to throw it all into a bin, deny the plan and let her fall.
So she will have to abandon the plan, her better conscience and responsibility towards the people, do what the parliament tells her and then flip the bird. Something she should have done much earlier, and pave the way for Johnson, Rees-Mogg, and Farage.
Then England has exactly what it voted for, and they can put the blame on who deserves it (though i already see Farage and his ilk gallantly chickening away again).

Playing the advocatus diaboli here of course, i still hope.. but i do not believe any more. Russia and China will be so thankful.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-14-19 at 02:56 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics