SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-12, 01:05 PM   #1
Dorjun Driver
Loader

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
SHO Color banding

Perhaps one of you nVidia gurus can help me out. I’m running SH4 1.5 with a GTS 450 (overclocked to 930x2075) w/1024 MB dual monitor rig. The box is running Win7 64-bit Pro on top of an AMD II x4 975 w/8 GB. Prior to running SH4, I disable the secondary monitor via Realtime Soft’s Ultramon and use the 1920x1080 primary.

Installed mods are TMO 2.5, 3000 Yard Bearing Tool, and Bigger Better Protractors.

My problem is severe color banding. The banding is most noticeable at night with clouds, moon, and/or light fog.

Are there any tweaks available through nVidia Inspector that might alleviate the issue, or does the GTS 450 simply not have enough umph.

If a screen shot is helpful, I can send one via email.

Thanks,
Dorj
Dorjun Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 01:44 PM   #2
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

Hello, i'm no expert, but banding is most noticeable with high gamma/brightness, what if you lower gamma, in game and rise brightness in the monitor?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 10:51 PM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Have you looked at the nvidia tweaks thread above. You have plenty enough card, just sounds like you need to tweak your settings to higher quality. As stated, you can tone down gamma a tad, but hopefully you can resolve the issue. I use an old system with with 9600gt and I tuned most of it out.

If you could post a SS here, might be helpful.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 09:15 AM   #4
Dorjun Driver
Loader

I’ve tried the gamma/brightness route with no joy. I’ve also pawed through the nVidia thread, achieving similar bumage.

Armistead, what settings do you use?

I’ld supply a screen shot, but after uploading one 1.9k image, I’ve apparently exceeded my 98k limit.
Old 11-18-12, 11:25 AM   #5
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorjun Driver View Post
I’ve tried the gamma/brightness route with no joy. I’ve also pawed through the nVidia thread, achieving similar bumage.

Armistead, what settings do you use?

I’ld supply a screen shot, but after uploading one 1.9k image, I’ve apparently exceeded my 98k limit.
I haven't set up my Desktop yet since I've moved, on an old laptop. I do know I basically go as high quality as my card can.

Make sure you run the same screen res. for game and monitor.

Make sure you have DX 9 loaded, game prefers it. You can load as many versions as you want, software will find it. You have a version on the game disk.

I assume you have updated drivers.

I assume you only get banding in game not on your normal screen? Sometimes it's a card overheating issue.

Have you tried a lower res?

Try to get a SS when you can. Look in the SS thread up top, last few pages I have several night shots using my different envs. You can see a lil banding in some of them, if yours is no worse than this, then probably about normal. I do use my own envs over TMO, so my SS will look a lil different.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 09:56 AM   #6
Dorjun Driver
Loader

Armistead,

Yes to all the above. In the screen shot thread I see nothing remotely as severe my case of color banding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banding-small.jpg (73.0 KB, 19 views)

Tags
color banding, nvidia