SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-10, 02:22 AM   #61
Vishari
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Hey guys.

Just want to start off by saying thank you for modding this game. It's a good thing subsim has dedicated simulation fans out there offering their time to help fix things to the way we all want them.

I seem to be stuck however: I've tried loading this mod several times, using the JSGME and no matter what I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried bringing the 'data' folder to my 'MODS' folder in c:\ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5 directory and tried a combination of enabling just the 'data' folder with the 'NEWUI...etc' folder and no matter what i try it never seems to put the UI in when i load up my game.

the frustrating thing is the solution is probably right in front of me yet I can't seem to figure it out haha.

anyone's help would be appreciated

thanks again for your hard work TheDarkWraith!
Old 03-06-10, 02:29 AM   #62
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishari View Post
I seem to be stuck however: I've tried loading this mod several times, using the JSGME and no matter what I can't seem to get it to work.
Thats because he didn't really zip it with the noob in mind. A minor oversight on his part i guess.

In the future if you are ever confused with the way someone zipped their mod... just do this:
1. Navigate into the zip file till you see a "data" folder.
3. Then go back one level
4. This is the folder you need to drop drag and drop into your MODS folder. In this case it's the folder named "For Mods Folder".
5. If you dont like the name it has, change it to something more suitable.

Also:
If the only thing contained in a zip file is a data folder.. you need to make your own folder in the MODS folder, give it a name for the mod.. and then drop the "data" folder into it.

The Structure is like this:

\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\Name of Mod\data
Old 03-06-10, 02:45 AM   #63
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I noticed something interesting tonight using this mod, I haven't seen this mentioned. Sorry if it has and I missed it.

Using the SH4 button to go to Battle Stations, and using the XO ability seem to be coded differently in the game. I get a different icon and different discription for each. Also I can have both active at the same time:

Is there any difference in the code between the two?

It looks to me like the old, NON-RPG abilities are still there. Maybe all the new crap can be modded out and replaced with the old.
Old 03-06-10, 03:02 AM   #64
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Yes they are. I had to remove those shortcuts from my key mod since I wasn't sure if they were working (my hunch: not. The working ones are the RPG ones).

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-06-10, 03:34 AM   #65
maerean_m
Captain

Downloads: 0

I'll be posting useful information about modding SH5 in this (more generic) thread so everybody can read it. Your questions are welcomed.
Old 03-06-10, 04:44 AM   #66
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
DANKE !!

...GREAT !!!! THANKS !!!--
Old 03-06-10, 06:55 AM   #67
Sub Commander
Mate

Downloads: 53

please put an auto installer in, cuz im a nub and i got vista,..,, and thats crap when it comes down 2 this stuff
Old 03-06-10, 07:48 AM   #68
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Commander View Post
please put an auto installer in, cuz im a nub and i got vista,..,, and thats crap when it comes down 2 this stuff
I use Vista 64 and that "Generic Mod Enabler" software works nicely! I reccomend using this and not asking for some install package. Seems cleaner that way. And it seems fair to assume that you will want the Generic Mod Enabler anyway, for other mods. People who release mods should make sure to have moved the readme files so that there is no "overwrite" popup spawning. Or one can move the readme files for a mod yourself, just toss it somewhere deeper in the mod folder structure.

The Generic Mod Enabler is found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156898
Authors webpage is found here: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/
Old 03-06-10, 09:21 AM   #69
robbythesub
Captain

Downloads: 302

Well done to all for this so soon after the game was released.

As a great fan of the modded SH3, I have to say that I am pretty disappointed inititally with SH5, which seems very hard to play in the same way as SH3 is.

I am trying not to be too picky since I am still learning the game, but I do find the interface hard to use to say the least.

I dont think I will adjust my stock game until we are clearer about what can be done without CTDs around, but will watch closely!

Great work guys, and keep it up.

Old 03-06-10, 10:03 AM   #70
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
Thats because he didn't really zip it with the noob in mind. A minor oversight on his part i guess.

In the future if you are ever confused with the way someone zipped their mod... just do this:
1. Navigate into the zip file till you see a "data" folder.
3. Then go back one level
4. This is the folder you need to drop drag and drop into your MODS folder. In this case it's the folder named "For Mods Folder".
5. If you dont like the name it has, change it to something more suitable.

Also:
If the only thing contained in a zip file is a data folder.. you need to make your own folder in the MODS folder, give it a name for the mod.. and then drop the "data" folder into it.

The Structure is like this:

\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\Name of Mod\data
guys I messed up with the folder structure in the zip file. I see it's been hard for new people that aren't familiar with JSGME to use because of my error. The folder in my zip file 'for_MODS_folder' should have another folder under it - the name of the mod AND then under that the folder \data. I'll correct my uploaded zip files to reflect this change. I'll also update their readme text files to reflect this change.
Old 03-06-10, 11:38 AM   #71
Vishari
Nub

Downloads: 1

Thanks for the help, got it working now!
Old 03-06-10, 12:55 PM   #72
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

new version (0_1_1) available. See post #1 for details.

Still working on removing the buggy/CTD/non-working tabs.

ok taking a break for a little while. First 50+ degree F day here in months and cabin fever has been bad! Going to take my R/C helo's out and get some rides in on my motorcycles Be back later.....

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 03-06-10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 04:17 PM   #73
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

This what I get after a reinstall and three driver swaps, and same result with the 3-dials mod. It's maddening, because I don't think anyone was looking forward more to this mod than I.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out I never had the patch, it automatically installed itself to a location other than the game path. It did that 3 times. Incredible.

Last edited by Galanti; 03-06-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 04:27 PM   #74
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Roger that, thanks for explaining.
Note that it is possible to port in the entire interface, page by page. For example, here's how the ENTIRE periscope screen of SH4 (with Kiub) looks when loaded into the Editor:

However this is a very dirty method that will result in ugly ItemID's. I'm still trying to find an easy and safe method to do this. And don't forget that most items no longer work as they did (for example we now have new torpedo buttons and we no long have the show/hide panel handles).
That is Drop Dead Beutiful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
new version (0_1_1) available. See post #1 for details.

Still working on removing the buggy/CTD/non-working tabs.

ok taking a break for a little while. First 50+ degree F day here in months and cabin fever has been bad! Going to take my R/C helo's out and get some rides in on my motorcycles Be back later.....
You are motivateing so many
Old 03-06-10, 04:28 PM   #75
Therion_Prime
Helmsman

Downloads: 27

Version 1.1 of this mod turns my SH5 from German to English.
The old version did not do this. Can you please have a look into this issue?

Thanks!
Closed Thread