SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-14, 12:43 AM   #1
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Make a Knuckle?

So I read a lot of books by a lot of authors, and naval warfare is my favorite type of thriller. But this confuses me and I haven't found any definition for the phrase. I've heard it a lot in Joe Buff's "Jeffery Fuller" series, I've heard it in Jeff Edward's "USS Towers" series, and today I heard it in Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising". The isolated use in one book would right it off as a one time term made by the author, but we have 3 different authors here, all former navy guys.

so maybe I'm just clueless but I don't know what it means to "make a knuckle" besides the fact that its a torpedo evasion tactic. can anyone tell me the details of the maneuver?
speed150mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 06:20 AM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

If you turn sharply at a specific speed, you can create a disturbance..not in the force, but a disturbance in the underwater wake caused by the submarine. This swirling of the water will reflect active sonar.

In effect, you are creating a sound reflecting object (hunk of swirling water) behind you while you are scooting off in another direction. It is possible that this swirling (called a knuckle) can confuse an actively guided torpedo if you can get your submarine out of the cone of sonar detection of the torpedo.

I am not really sure how effective it is against today's torpedoes.
Old 04-06-14, 08:13 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^

A knuckle is a defensive technique used by a submarine under attack. A submarine makes a knuckle by a sudden, sharp movement back and forth of the rudder. This leaves an especially tubulent spot in the water behind the submarine, and then the sub continues moving away. Because of how sound waves are bent and reflected in water, this "knuckle" can confuse an inbound enemy torpedo's target-homing sonar, and sometimes even fool the torpedo into thinking the knuckle is the actual submarine's hull. The result is thus hopefully that the torpedo (or the enemy weapons techs controlling the torpedo thru its guidance wire) will lose contact on the submarine, or else the torpedo will actually detonate against the knuckle, with little or no harm to the escaping sub itself. Knuckles can also be used to confuse/defeat active sonar being used by surface ships, sonobuoys, ASW helicopters with dipping sonars, etc.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 12:19 PM   #4
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35

So in other words, making a knuckle is sorta the submarines version of cracking the whip. I'll have to try it next time I play dangerous waters, see if it works in the game. thank you
speed150mph is offline   Reply With Quote