SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-14, 02:42 PM   #241
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome Aboard

BUBBAJAKE, FENIX, SUBWAYCOMMANDER, VOIDEDWARRANTY, LOKI CAT, AND MIXERMATH!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 12:59 AM   #242
SubwayCommander
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

New suggestion! After accidentally leaving the main induction valve open while submerging, my entire sub flooded, and everyone drowned. The sub sank about 20K feet down to the bottom of the ocean. Then nothing. Maybe you should add the feature where if your sub goes too deep, water pressure destroys it?
Old 06-21-14, 05:09 AM   #243
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

You should have found that every panel of the outer hull, pressure hull and many internal bulkheads were destroyed on the way down, accompanied by a lot of noise of crushing hull. This is the sign that your sub is hopelessly crushed.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 05:19 AM   #244
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenex View Post
Hello I am new to the forums but I have been playing and really enjoying sub commander, and so I have a suggestion. Because it's possible for the sub to be invincible I think it might be worth it to include a life bar kinda like the one in the ftl.
Hi Fenex, welcome! It's a good suggestion and one I've thought about a lot in the past. I don't really want to add something as game-y as hit points but you're right, something definitely needs to change because at the moment the sub is invincible if you stay on the surface.

For the next version I've made it so that the water level outside your sub is always 200cm, even when surfaced, meaning it's always possible to be sunk if you take hull damage. It's not a perfect solution but I think it's an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
I can't wait for v0.24, each version is more awesome than the last!

At what point will this be released as v1.0?

Is there any help that can be rendered to an irradiated crew member, so they recover, or do you just lock them in the galley until they expire? At least you could have an irradiated crew member in each compartment to provide pleasant green emergency lighting (although the buzzing coming from them may put some of the less stoic crews' teeth on edge).
When will it reach version 1.0? At this rate, about 4 more years. But who knows! I don't have a timeline for this, I'll keep developing it as long as I have time and motivation.

There's nothing you can do for irradiated crew at the moment, soon I'll add some kind of antiradiation drugs for treating mild exposure. The best thing you can do currently is return to port and refit (the crew will be treated at a hospital).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayCommander View Post
New suggestion! After accidentally leaving the main induction valve open while submerging, my entire sub flooded, and everyone drowned. The sub sank about 20K feet down to the bottom of the ocean. Then nothing. Maybe you should add the feature where if your sub goes too deep, water pressure destroys it?
This is already in the game... in fact, it's one of the first things I coded back in version 0.01. The pressure hull will be crushed at between 300-350m, damaging most of the hull tiles and causing major flooding. I don't know why it didn't affect your sub in this case - I just tested it again to make sure there's no bugs and it all seemed to be working.

edit: I think I see what you mean, the sub will never get completely destroyed no matter how deep you go. But all the tiles will be damaged and the crew will quickly drown, so the end result is the same... maybe one day I'll make it so the sub is properly crushed.

Last edited by TheGeoff; 06-21-14 at 05:30 AM.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 07:17 AM   #245
EvilJawa
Watch

Downloads: 24

Very awesome game, reminds me of dwarf fortress, weird though that when you hit tab it starts a fire on whatever tile you have selected and control destroys it, slightly annoying because i'm used to hitting tab in DF for a lot of things like switching between menu's so I sometimes cause problems for my little submariners, is this a debug thing? Is there a way to disable it?
EvilJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 07:49 AM   #246
TheGeoff
Planesman

Haha yes, those are controls for debugging (or for setting up particularly crazy disasters). You can rebind the damage/kill key (left control) by opening keybindings.ini and changing the line:
Quote:
damage_key = 29
to something like
Quote:
damage_key = 70
This will rebind the key to Scroll Lock, which I doubt you will press by accident. Unfortunately I forgot to add an option for rebinding Tab so you'll have to live with that one till the next update.
Old 06-21-14, 07:14 PM   #247
Fenex
Swabbie

The Geoff I just looked your 12 day patrol and I have a question I it the destroyer actively dodged is this in the new version or is it already included because in my games the ships don't really make a effort to dodge which makes my missions very easy.
Fenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 08:33 PM   #248
TheGeoff
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenex View Post
The Geoff I just looked your 12 day patrol and I have a question I it the destroyer actively dodged is this in the new version or is it already included because in my games the ships don't really make a effort to dodge which makes my missions very easy.
Yeah, in in the new version AI ships will try to pull some basic maneuvers to dodge torpedoes. Big, slow ships like oil tankers and cargo ships usually aren't maneuverable enough to pull it off but small, agile warships can sometimes manage.
Old 06-21-14, 08:43 PM   #249
Fenex
Swabbie

Oh that's great hooray for more of a challenge! On a side note will there ever be. Mine fields or other static dangers?
Fenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 10:50 AM   #250
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Will the map ever be draggable, or will it always be tied to your location? A draggable map would be useful to find the location of your next target when you can't see it on furthest zoom.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-14, 09:22 PM   #251
TheGeoff
Planesman

I'll look into adding a draggable map soon, would definitely make navigation easier. It will also be helpful for selecting targets once SLBMs and cruise missiles are in the game.

As for minefields, I have no immediate plans to add them but I might put them in sometime in the future. I don't know quite how they would work... if the player can see the mines, they're easy to dodge and there's not much point to them being there. If the player can't see the mines it's basically rolling a dice to see if your sub explodes or not, which doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 06-26-14, 03:15 PM   #252
SubwayCommander
Swabbie

TheGeoff, it seems you used C++ to make this game. Did you use any external libraries to do so, or is it all your own code?
Old 06-27-14, 12:21 AM   #253
TheGeoff
Planesman

Sub Commander is actually coded in Blitz Plus (a successor to Blitz Basic, available here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Home/_index_.php). All of the game was written from scratch except for a few functions for processing .ini files.
Old 06-27-14, 02:33 AM   #254
SubwayCommander
Swabbie

Thanks! I used PEiD, which told me it was compiled using Microsoft Visual Studio. I guess there's still bugs to be solved in PEiD then.
Old 06-28-14, 04:34 AM   #255
P-Dup
Swabbie

Hello everybody,

first of all I really like Sub Commander. It really is a rare gem and has so much more potential! I just hope you stick to the roots when adding more features, so it keeps it's flair. Right now I really look forward to the next version and I can't wait for it to be realeased.

Now to my questions: Do the Radiation Suits reallly work? Because when I got a radiation leak from a damaged Coolant Pump and I send someone in to repair it, he get's several thousand mSv radiation and later dies, no matter if he is wearing a Radiation Suit and Leather Gloves with Gas Mask or Breathing Apparatus or both. Bug or feature?
At the moment I surface the boat and close the air valves in every room but the reactor chamber snd then open the Main Induction Valve to get radiation out. Is this the only way?

And what are the Chemical Suits used for? Ok, to protect from chemicals, but in what situation are they useful?

Keep up the good work The Geoff. you're making a lot of people happy and anxious for the next release.
P-Dup is offline   Reply With Quote