SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-11, 03:32 PM   #1
dwinar
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 2 diesels out of 4 destroyed = stuck for the rest of your life?

Hi there!

Is it normal that I can't move my sub with 2 diesels even with 1 knot or something? I got two other diesels fully destroyed (full red bar) by an airplane bomb. I have remaining one left and one right diesel and 29/100 of fuel, so why my sub can't move? Every other damages has been repaired but those two diesels don't want to be repaired they just stay on 100% of destrucion. I say "Ahead 1/3" or "Ahead Full" and the sub just ignores this...
dwinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 03:37 PM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome to SubSim Dwinar!

Nice to see ya.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 04:20 PM   #3
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Yup, you're stuck.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 05:04 PM   #4
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Two destroyed diesel engines from aerial attack? I'm surprised the other two are at full capacity. (Are they?) And with your fuel loss, puttering at a knot would just be putting off the inevitable. I suppose you could use your diesels to charge your batteries and creep along submerged until they require recharging (if that bomb that destroyed your engines didn't also make your engine compartment a convertible). Exactly how far from the nearest friendly port are you? With Japanese air assaults, I'm presuming you're much more than a couple of days out.

Remember to scuttle if the next ship you see gets excited and is flying a meatball.
Old 10-21-11, 07:13 PM   #5
dwinar
Nub

The other 2 engines were damaged a bit too, that was easy to repair. Nearest port is Manila, about 1800 nm to the south west from my position. And the recharging batteries would be so cool, but I can't while diesels don't want to cooperate. And seriously, two diesels can't move this piece of floating junk? I need to learn something about real subs. At least I know it's not a bug.
Old 10-21-11, 09:26 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Unfortunately SH4 shows 4 diesels, but they are paired off so you really only have two engines.
Old 10-22-11, 06:52 AM   #7
dwinar
Nub

Thanks for replies. Now I think I understand, the game sees engines practically as 2 modules (left and right) and in this case I lost 50% of left engine and 50% of right so technically both engines are destroyed. That's why I can't get 2-3 knots just 0 :P
Old 10-22-11, 01:54 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That is correct. The dev crew for SH4 wasn't the same people as worked on SH3 so there were parts of the game engine that they either had to use as-is, or completely rewrite from scratch.

The U-Boat had 2 engines and that was a part written by a dev member who didn't make the transition. The SH4 dev crew didn't know how it worked so couldn't change it. They went with what they had and fudged the output to make it look like a submarine when it was just a U-Boat.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 08:43 AM   #9
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Unfortunately SH4 shows 4 diesels, but they are paired off so you really only have two engines.
Oh so if you have two of them destroyed, but they are the two paired ones (meaning you still have one intact pair remaining), you can still keep going?
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 09:01 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

That's my understanding, but RR probably knows more about it.
Old 10-24-11, 09:24 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prates View Post
Oh so if you have two of them destroyed, but they are the two paired ones (meaning you still have one intact pair remaining), you can still keep going?
Yes, that is exactly correct. If you have one right engine destroyed you lose both right engines. If you have two right engines destroyed you lose both right engines.

For game engine (let's confuse terms completely) terms, the two right and the two left engines are one and one.

I'll resist the urge to say that this is proof that the revolutionary method of game production is just a tragic comedy and that it needs to be replaced by an evolutionary method, where you retain dev crews for a given franchise and evolve the game for all players. There shouldn't BE a Silent Hunter 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, just a constantly evolving and updated Silent Hunter. The game company shouldn't have to deep six their games six weeks after release, disbanding the dev crews and using valuable programming talent as "nothing special" cogs in a mindless machine. Game companies shouldn't sell the game outright, then never see another penny from a game. That's lunacy. The game companies are losing 50% of their potential income stream (I'm being WAY conservative) and we are losing any further progress in game quality.

What if we bought cable television like that? We'd only be able to watch the 200 shows our box came with, forever. When we called the cable company with a problem they'd just say, "Buy the new box!" People would say "this system sucks, but NOBODY is going to pay a monthly fee for cable television." And I'd be on their forum saying there's got to be a better way. Why not have people pay a monthly fee and have new shows constantly rotating in? NAW! THAT WOULD NEVER WORK...........
Old 10-24-11, 10:56 AM   #12
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Hum. The engines are not numbered in the components list. Is there a way to know which is which?

Oh and by the way RR, concerning your consumers' complaints... hell yeah!
Old 10-24-11, 01:13 PM   #13
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prates View Post
Hum. The engines are not numbered in the components list.
Correction: they are. Sorry, I just had a moment of dumbassness.
Old 10-24-11, 04:25 PM   #14
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

WOW, if someone could write a new code to make each diesel engine its own separate unit and totally be by itself in the game, that would be enough of a mod by itself.

Surely someone is smart enough to do this and do it legality.
Old 10-24-11, 08:56 PM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

No way to do it legally. You'd have to alter the executable code, not just the moddable parameter files. altering executable code is not modding, it is violating the End User License where it prohibits decompiling the code and changing it.