SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-08, 02:28 PM   #211
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Aye, I love the large periscope view as well and would love to have it in U-jagd.
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 04:33 PM   #212
ejhawk56
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
Achtung!

British Intelligence Agents have infiltrated the Kriegsmarine Press and have sabotaged key documents in order to mislead new kaleuns.

We have found this sabotage and are now hunting the agents responsible.

Fortunately intelligent and experienced Kaleuns will not have been fooled by the sabotaged references in the manual titled Passive Sonar Approach using Sliderules and ISWAS. In this text all original references to the target presenting a Backbord (Port) AOB were switched to say Starboard.

This childish sabotage attempt does not bode well for the Britischers if that represents the best they can do!

Gute Jagd!
Hi Joe

Has this been corrected in the latest download?

Thanks
Eric
ejhawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 07:05 PM   #213
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

No! Too expensive a waste of valuable KM resources. The error is only found in the illustrated example using screenshots using U-jagd 1.3. So long as you know which is starboard and which is port, it's actually pretty easy to spot.

There may be another patch before long which will make some minor display imrpovements. If so I'll inculde the corrected manual then. But as you mention it, in fact I'll post the corrected manual as a standalone. You should be able to download it later today

Best wishes

Joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 07:21 PM   #214
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
I have another question. Over on the SH4 boards WernerSobe has created a periscope that fills up the entire screen, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129941 and OLC's GUI has one for at least one of its options. I prefer to use U-jagd because it allows for the 6-Dials Simfeeling mod, and I like the way it looks. I know the rings around the lens are important, but is there some way to enlarge it so it fills the screen? It would make viewing a lot cooler, as well as easier.
A much increased scope view is something I've also wanted, but that is not part of the U-jagd mission statement, I'm afraid. U-jagd 1-series only provides the tools - it makes no other changes. It is up to other GUI projects to sort out changes in scope view size, and I gladly permit full use of U-jagd tools to anyone who wishes to implement them into their own projects, as OLC has done so brilliantly.

Enlarging the rings is a simple matter of opening them with a capable image editor, such as photoshop or Gimp, and resizing the images. You of course then have to note the new dimensions and edit the relevant Pos entries in the menu_1024_768 file accordingly. Einfach!

But this will not greatly change the basic scope view and magnfiication effect(although you may improve the field of view through it). Already the U-jagd 1.3 field of view is vastly increased from the earliest versions!

To change the original scope view in the way that OLC did with the Obs scope and Werner SObe has with SH4 is a different project that opens up different issues. If you wish to have a much bigger scope view, then you need to reorganise the entire GUI space to make room for it.

Then you need to edit your AOB finder images to fit the new scope.

It's certainly doable, and in fact it's something I have in my mind to do as my next project, but it'll be a lot of work.

So in the meantime, sorry.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-08, 07:30 PM   #215
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke
The Elmer's glue stick won't make the cardstock go all wavy? Gonna try that next time, if I can only steal one from the children!
No, it doesn't make it wavy. Regular Elmer's glue WILL do that, but I found that the glue stick won't.

Some tips, though:

1. Get 100% even coverage of the glue.

2. Glue the pieces *BEFORE* trimming them to final shape. It makes handling them easier.

3. Place the glued pieces under some heavy, even pressure. I use my copies of "Hitler's U-Boat War", volume 1 + 2 .

4. The pieces will still 'warp'. They will be like a shallow 'Pringles' chip. That's OK, you can straighten them by hand. Once you have them all straightened, then you can assemble them.

I'll have to look into getting a circle cutter.
Old 02-01-08, 07:35 AM   #216
ejhawk56
Seaman

Quote:

There may be another patch before long which will make some minor display imrpovements. If so I'll inculde the corrected manual then. But as you mention it, in fact I'll post the corrected manual as a standalone. You should be able to download it later today

Best wishes

Joe
Thanks Joe...I'll keep an eye out for it. I finally had time to print off and start reading the other manual to the U-jagd tools last night. Good stuff. I like that you included the german terminology for the tools and their various parts. Added them to my list of German words to know.
ejhawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 09:57 AM   #217
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

I've posted the corrected version of the Passive sonar approach using sliderules and Iswas tutorial. The correction is very small - you may not even be able to see it
Old 02-01-08, 10:25 AM   #218
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
It's certainly doable, and in fact it's something I have in my mind to do as my next project, but it'll be a lot of work.

So in the meantime, sorry.
Thanks for the apology, but I know you have a lot on your plate. Thanks for all the hard work.
Old 02-01-08, 10:27 AM   #219
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice to see you back playing the game Steve

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 10:35 AM   #220
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Thanks, RDP. Not really 'playing' yet, as I'm busy fooling around with GWX2 and adding and changing things to my liking. Also working on my own little addition, which is taking a lot of time and research. Still, it's nice to sit at my own computer again while I'm typing this.
Old 02-15-08, 04:43 PM   #221
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Hi, I'm back with questions.

I want to use the DIY version to have this along with the 6-Dials Simfeeling mod, and maybe the periscope tools as well, but Every time I read the instructions I get nervous. Is anyone actually using all this together, and how is it working?

Secondly, I use GWX, but I would rather have the smaller 6x attack scope back. Will it work if I just use the regular U-jagd version, or will that mess everything up?
Old 02-17-08, 11:58 PM   #222
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Hi Sailor Steve

Don't be nervous! Remember, faint heart never won fair lady

A couple of tips: make sure you still have the original unpacked files for both U-jagd and Sim feeling. If there's a foulup you can always just throw away what you've done and reinstall the mods again

Secondly, make sure you've disabled both the relevant mods using JSGME before you start operating. Then remeber only make adjustments in the mod folders - never touch the main SH3/GWX install.

Then just go for it.

To answer the scope magnification question:

U-jagd tools does not change the scope magnifications. The scope magnifications are as they were in SH3 (x6/x4) or GWX (X10/x4.5).

This is the main difference with the different versions of U-jagd. The scales on the AOB finder are set to give the correct range for the appropriate magnification.

If you wish to use x6/x4, then you must make these changes yourself using mini-tweeker. After that, the you must use the U-jagd_DIY kit. Otherwise you use the U-jagd1.3.

seYou know what: just answer these two questions for me.

Firstly, have you already reset the magnification back to x6/x4?
Secondly, can you show me the link to the Simfeeling mod for GWX 2.0?

If so, I'll make the mod for you and send it to you. It'll only take me 10 mins.

joe
Old 02-18-08, 12:56 AM   #223
matttm
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Hi, I'm back with questions.

I want to use the DIY version to have this along with the 6-Dials Simfeeling mod, and maybe the periscope tools as well, but Every time I read the instructions I get nervous. Is anyone actually using all this together, and how is it working?

Secondly, I use GWX, but I would rather have the smaller 6x attack scope back. Will it work if I just use the regular U-jagd version, or will that mess everything up?
:rotfl:

I am trying to do the same with NYGM V2.6B!!!

Will get there...
matttm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 11:21 AM   #224
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
A couple of tips: make sure you still have the original unpacked files for both U-jagd and Sim feeling. If there's a foulup you can always just throw away what you've done and reinstall the mods again
Not a problem there; I save everything.

Quote:
Secondly, make sure you've disabled both the relevant mods using JSGME before you start operating. Then remeber only make adjustments in the mod folders - never touch the main SH3/GWX install.
Oops! I used the original Simfeeling, in which FLB-Sale says that since other mods change the files all the time, it has to be installed manually...so I installed it by hand myself. Of course I suppose it's easy enough to just go back and remove all the files. After all, I never throw anything away.:rotfl:

Quote:
To answer the scope magnification question:

U-jagd tools does not change the scope magnifications. The scope magnifications are as they were in SH3 (x6/x4) or GWX (X10/x4.5).

This is the main difference with the different versions of U-jagd. The scales on the AOB finder are set to give the correct range for the appropriate magnification.

If you wish to use x6/x4, then you must make these changes yourself using mini-tweeker. After that, the you must use the U-jagd_DIY kit. Otherwise you use the U-jagd1.3.
So what happens if I use the one for stock SH3 on top of GWX. Will it give me the 6x scope, or will it torpedo the whole game?

Quote:
seYou know what: just answer these two questions for me.

Firstly, have you already reset the magnification back to x6/x4?
No, because I have no idea how.

Quote:
Secondly, can you show me the link to the Simfeeling mod for GWX 2.0?
As I said, I used the original. I didn't know someone had done one especially for GWX 2.0.

Quote:
If so, I'll make the mod for you and send it to you. It'll only take me 10 mins.

joe
Actually I have no idea what I'm doing. I just play it by ear and hope for the best. I guess that's why I have two big slide out compasses; because I can't get rid of the one that came with GWX.:rotfl:
Old 02-18-08, 04:51 PM   #225
matttm
Seaman

Sailor Steve.

I tried to re-add the 6 Dials and got massive errors due to the TDC this time. What did I change? The order I added entries into the menu_1024_768.ini.

When I put all the new entries at the end, got an error on the Gyro Compass. Added the new entries this time at the end of the G3F section and got TDC errors.

It seems that where you add has a bearing...
matttm is offline   Reply With Quote