SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-16, 02:10 PM   #1
Pirate Roberts
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Live Crew Game

Has anyone ever tried playing SH as a live crew operating one sub single player. I think three people might work, one operating the game one as a live navigator (using an off game chart like the Mobo or just paper charts) and one as commander (commander doesnt operate anything but gets input from the navigator and operator and strategises the attack). I imagine this could work and be quite a different experiance especially when it comes to tactical data collection from game to real chart. Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-12-16, 03:22 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Funny you bring that up. I use to play flight simulator and use to have 4 monitors to setup different plane instruments while flying at the same time. It would be awesome to have a periscope monitor along with the TDC.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 06:02 PM   #3
HerpicleOmnicron5
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Roberts View Post
Has anyone ever tried playing SH as a live crew operating one sub single player. I think three people might work, one operating the game one as a live navigator (using an off game chart like the Mobo or just paper charts) and one as commander (commander doesnt operate anything but gets input from the navigator and operator and strategises the attack). I imagine this could work and be quite a different experiance especially when it comes to tactical data collection from game to real chart. Has anyone tried this?
I'd love to do something like that. I can run the game and stream it, so if others can get the charts I can do all the input.
HerpicleOmnicron5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 06:06 PM   #4
Pirate Roberts
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yes that's cool though what i was meaning was more multiple people playing on one computer. Its more or less sh platform independent. Whoever is operating the pc game can use whatever interface mods and hardware they are familiar likewise the navigator could use whatever charting tools, whether physical or electronic and the comander, well the tactics are really about the least platform dependent of all. It just requires that 2 or three subsimmers actually get together to play the game. Now that I'm thinking of it SH might be unique among PC wargames in that there really are crew differentiatable tasks that can be subdivided during one game instance. Anyone in Seattle want to try this?
Old 03-12-16, 06:24 PM   #5
HerpicleOmnicron5
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Roberts View Post
Now that I'm thinking of it SH might be unique among PC wargames in that there really are crew differentiatable tasks that can be subdivided during one game instance. Anyone in Seattle want to try this?
That sounds more like you want a game like Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator.
Old 03-12-16, 09:03 PM   #6
Pirate Roberts
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Herpicle...

sort of but I'm thinking of liminting the scope so we dont need any new HW/SW development just go with what we have.

It would be a bit like artemus but I think the difference is for a WW2 sub a lot of the fun is all in the vocal communication between observers, navigator and commander in this respect its almost completely vocal. I run the game myself on no map contacts and I think how much more fun would it be to be communicating bearing, range AOB vocally between a real crew instead of hastily scribbling it myself only to have to then manually transfer to my own charts.

I'm interested in the steaming idea, I'd like to see how that works in practice, how would you set up the communication?
Old 03-12-16, 09:37 PM   #7
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114

Unfortunately a road block for the streaming thing is that most (if not all) steams have a mandatory delay factor of anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute. Guess that could be worked around though procedurally. Kinda like drone pilots...

Currently - SH5 TWoS
- SH3 GWX + MaGui and more
- SH3 LSH 2015 + Ahnenerbe's Gui
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 05:40 AM   #8
HerpicleOmnicron5
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege00 View Post
Unfortunately a road block for the streaming thing is that most (if not all) steams have a mandatory delay factor of anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute. Guess that could be worked around though procedurally. Kinda like drone pilots...
Hitbox has, at most, a 5 second delay.

Communication can be done easily through Mumble or Skype, charts can be done via many sites such as even Roll20.
Old 03-13-16, 05:46 AM   #9
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

All you need is sound. Using a Kriegsmarine Attack Disc or a maneuvering board only takes the info on bearings, and ranges if available. The commander would give the task, andwould then give the bearings through Skype for example and the navigator would tell the solution after using the maneuvering board or a whizzwheel.

A very interesting idea. Not for me at this point of time, but stil a very clever idea. With a LAN network you could have at least a separate navigator/weapons officer// hydrophone operator/commander. Perhaps even two teams to simulate different watches