Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-20, 09:06 PM   #1591
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
We will survive as a species, many will n ot even be physically harmed too much. But the old civilization we lived in, is gone. No economy can digest and survive this. I cannot imgaine, not for being offered a ton of gold, that the economy and money system can survive this. This is a game changing event. Its beyond what my brain can compute. I feel completely helpless and naked when thinking of the time after Corona.

And maybe, if the chance is used wisely and not the same scum is allowed to form the new world that ruined the old one, it is not even a bad thing that the old ways have been brought to an end. They were hopelessly corrupted anyway. Unfortunately, history does not provide reasons to be optimistic for that man will learn from his mistakes, even more so since the overpopulation still will exist after this. I think the same mistakes will be entered next round and the bsaame sort of crooked characters will be trusted once again, simply that.

But then, lets be realistic, I also have a chance that I simply will not survive this all. Absolutely possible, and realistic. Not certain, not the most probable outcome, but absolutely possible. I give myself a 3:1 chance that I make it through.

Quoted for later. There's a 3:1 chance it'll be a hoot.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 09:29 PM   #1592
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm pretty sure we will get through this with some bruises and broken arms, but we will move on without any more doomsday death wishes than the Friday freak out clubbers have. While I detest much of humanity I also know it will shrug this off as we have done before several times.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 11:11 PM   #1593
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Is this a "Let them eat cake." moment?

Quote:
Separately, an investigation by the Daily Beast found Mrs Loeffler, who sits on the Senate Health Committee, and her husband sold millions of dollars in stocks, beginning on 24 January, the day her panel received a private briefing on the coronavirus from top US public health officials.

In the weeks after the sale, she sought to downplay the virus’ impact on the economy and public health in a series of tweets.

“Democrats have dangerously and intentionally misled the American people on #Coronavirus readiness,” she tweeted on 28 February.

“Here’s the truth: @realDonaldTrump & his administration are doing a great job working to keep Americans healthy & safe.”
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51976484

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 01:50 AM   #1594
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

A number of stores here in the LA area have seen an uptick in people trying to return items they had bought in bulk; the local news reports don't state a solid reason for the sudden turn around; the store have initiated a "No Return" policy, pretty much leaving the bulk hoarders with no place to go...

You see, it seems the local authorities have been enforcing CA State laws against price-gouging during declared emergencies and are making arrests; according to a newsradio report I heard, LEOs are responding to online offers to sell scarce items at way too high proies and, once they have made an in person trade of cash for commodity, the sellers are arrested...

It is interesting to note the sudden rush to return bulk items occurred the day after the news of the price-gouginng stings broke in the local media; quite a coincidence, no?...

Undercover price-gouging investigation leads to eight arrests during coronavirus pandemic --

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/lo...a-f766102ead2c

Is price gouging happening in your area? California AG urges people to file complaints --

https://www.desertsun.com/story/mone...ic/2881538001/

<O>
Old 03-21-20, 02:21 AM   #1595
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Excellent news, I hope the Australian government has the intelligence to enforce that over here!
This will mostly ensure the economy returns to normal.

President Trump, please take over Australia.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 02:57 AM   #1596
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I don't know that price-gouging is even illegal here... all I can say is it should be
Old 03-21-20, 03:25 AM   #1597
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Excellent news, I hope the Australian government has the intelligence to enforce that over here!

Trump has nothing to do with the crackdown and, as far as I know, there are no Federal anti-gouging laws; the State of California has long had anti-gouging laws due to the several natural and man-made disasters like earthquakes, fires, riots, etc.; in addition to the State laws, counties and cities have their laws and regs to strengthen or more define the scope of enforcement. When we had the 1994 Northridge quake and power and facilities were nonexistent or extremely scarce, price-gouging was a real problem and the laws were really tightened up afterwards; the people who were or will be arrested are facing some very serious consequences because this ain't just a traffic ticket; I wouldn't mind being on a jury hearing one of their cases...

As far as Trump taking over Australia, you're welcome to have him; just remember: we have a very strict "No Returns" policy...

<O>
Old 03-21-20, 04:26 AM   #1598
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon8

"Where's my gun they will be waking up soon"

Forced to go out early on a scavenger hunt up the town and it was a sight for sore eyes hardly anyone about. I have been out early many times before and the town would be half full but not today, only two shops and a take away were open every where else closed.

Even my GP's closed thank you very much how am I to get hold of my repeat subscription break in and then break in to the pharmacy where I picked it up and leave a note sorry about the mess!

Some good news manage to pick up a couple of boxes of pain killers for my mother who now lives off them as her Back is worn out. And for me gold dust a 9 pack of toilet rolls that were flying off the shelf's faster than the shop staff putting them on. So I'm standing down from Yellow Alert to Green Alert on the toilet roll side.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 04:44 AM   #1599
vienna
Navy Seal

Curious that the pharmacies are closed over there; here, there is a list of "essential" services and commercial activities that are exempt from the shutdown among which are pharmacies, hardware stores, takeout (no dining in) food, and, even, medicinal pot stores; public transit is still running though, obviously, with highly reduced ridership, with modified service...

Oddly, with 11,000 employees, a very large portion of whom are exposed to public contact, the transit services have reported no employees testing positive; the transit services have also placed hand sanitizer stations in all the major transit hubs and are looking for a practical way to install sanitizers on the buses and rail lines...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 03-21-20 at 07:17 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 04:57 AM   #1600
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

As far as Trump taking over Australia, you're welcome to have him; just remember: we have a very strict "No Returns" policy...
Great come back!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 06:09 AM   #1601
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Been out trying to get some eggs... finally found a shop where they'll let you have a dozen. Mind you, Moira would only buy what she needed; she bought one bag of flour when she could've taken two. Still no bumwad, though
Old 03-21-20, 07:21 AM   #1602
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

Sydney police have temporarily closed Bondi Beach after crowds exceeded Australia's outdoor gathering limit.

The country has banned outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people in a bid to tackle the spread of coronavirus.

However large crowds of people are still flocking to beaches across Sydney, flouting advice to stay inside.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51984725

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 07:23 AM   #1603
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

After several days with no "home-grown" infections, according to China’s official figures, there is a feeling there that the coronavirus emergency appears to be under control.

People in Beijing are finally heading outdoors.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...-head-outdoors

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:09 AM   #1604
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Trump has nothing to do with the crackdown and, as far as I know, there are no Federal anti-gouging laws; the State of California has long had anti-gouging laws due to the several natural and man-made disasters like earthquakes, fires, riots, etc.; in addition to the State laws, counties and cities have their laws and regs to strengthen or more define the scope of enforcement. When we had the 1994 Northridge quake and power and facilities were nonexistent or extremely scarce, price-gouging was a real problem and the laws were really tightened up afterwards; the people who were or will be arrested are facing some very serious consequences because this ain't just a traffic ticket; I wouldn't mind being on a jury hearing one of their cases...

<O>
There is a Federal Price gouging statute, however it only deals with gasoline and other petroleum products. It was passed back in 2013 when oil was 100.00 + a barrel. After this crisis passes, Congress will probably amend it to include toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 09:04 AM   #1605
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
There is a Federal Price gouging statute, however it only deals with gasoline and other petroleum products. It was passed back in 2013 when oil was 100.00 + a barrel. After this crisis passes, Congress will probably amend it to include toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

I'd forgotten about the Federal oil price gouging law, but, as you indicated, it really deals mainly with a fixed, triggered implementation and enforcement; the type of laws in CA, statewide and local are wider in the triggering mechanisms and deal on a more case by case, situational basis; also, the laws here are more concerned with the day to day and survival commodities and services related to disasters; oil prices topping a certain point internationally quite often have little to do with scarcity world-wide disasters and more to do with simple corporate opportunistic profiteering...

You can survive without needing to use oil in the form of gasoline, etc., but food, water, medicinals, and other basic must haves and needs are essential...

<O>

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan