SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-21, 04:15 AM   #6076
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Moderna says its vaccine also prpotects against B117, but the number of antibodies against the south african variant is up to 6 times less than with other variants of Covid-19. Experts now assume that a third vaccination may be necessary, because in case of the Southafrican variant the protection from immunization gets lost much faster.
Old 01-27-21, 04:23 AM   #6077
Skybird
Soaring

In this article:
https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...merikaner.html
An EU expert admits that the EU was ill-prepared, compared to the US.

Quote:
Nevertheless, the EU must learn its lesson from the pandemic, said Bucher. In a report for the Paris think tank TerraNova, the expert explains that the EU has not developed its own industrial strategy in the field of health and vaccination, a mistake that it is now paying dearly. “You can't just import vaccines like paracetamol,” says Bucher. “The EU was simply not as well prepared as the Americans, who invested heavily in February of last year. The EU got in much later and with much more modest means. " In figures this means: Washington invested ten billion dollars in "Operation Warp Speed" in February, Brussels raised a little more than three billion dollars, but only in the summer. The American corporations could have invested in production facilities at a time when it was not yet clear whether the production of an effective vaccine would succeed. Something else explains the Americans' lead: Europeans have withdrawn from funding vaccine research in the past ten years. At the turn of the millennium, two-thirds of vaccine researchers were still working in the EU, working on 60 percent of global research projects. Then came the turning point. Public grants shrank from 23.3 million euros in 2002 to 1.9 million in 2008 in six years. During the same period, Americans more than tripled research grants. They rose from 13 to 42.2 million euros in 2008. The EU just watched the US become attractive for talent. Brussels must draw the necessary conclusions from this and invest more money in funding vaccination research, concludes Bucher in her report.
The EU on many levels just watches others attracting talents. It also drives its own talents actively away. The vaccine story is just one example.

Planned economy theoreticists. No clue of realities.

Edit:
P.S. Compare to this: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1189

Last edited by Skybird; 01-27-21 at 04:41 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 06:23 AM   #6078
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Buddahaid, still waiting here. I have a friend who was a liver transplant recipient, he got his first shot last week.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 10:40 AM   #6079
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Buddahaid, still waiting here. I have a friend who was a liver transplant recipient, he got his first shot last week.
Man I hope you can get it before too long and the availability climbs rapidly.

My arm isn't as sore as the first shot but I'm still achy and have a headache. I haven't checked but I don't think I have a fever.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 11:05 AM   #6080
Skybird
Soaring

Any homeopadres here? You will not like this video then. From 24:00 on. Moral of the story is just two letters: NO.

Old 01-27-21, 12:21 PM   #6081
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The EU has urged pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca to supply it with more doses of its Covid-19 vaccine from UK plants, amid a row over shortages.

The company has infuriated the bloc by saying it can deliver only a fraction of the doses it promised for the first quarter of the year.

It blames production issues at European plants, but the EU says doses made elsewhere should make up the shortfall.

The EU has been criticised for the slow rollout of its vaccinations.

A confidentiality clause binds AstraZeneca from releasing the details of its deal with the bloc, but the company reportedly said last week that the EU would get 60% fewer doses than promised for January-March 2021.

The two sides are set to meet for talks.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55822602

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 12:25 PM   #6082
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Did we? I don't think so. We could have done better, that much is true. But we have established a solid legal basis for approval (that ensures accountability of the producers in case of long-term side effects) and a fair mechanism of distribution among the members.

https://translate.google.com/transla...dern-weltweit/

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...ickerSort=desc

I know the absolute figures make us look much better than the per capita data, but even the normalized data shows merely minor differences between most countries. I can understand that people in the UK - a country that has been hit harder by the virus than most of the rest of the world- can become thin-skinned and that might lead to a self-righteous perspective. But "messed up"? Sorry, no.

AZ delivers 100% of the promised quantity to the UK, but less than 50% of the quantity contracted to the EU (You should listen to Europeans talk about this "oddity". Some of us will never forget.) Everybody understands that problems in production reduce availability. But we want our fair share of the produced quantity and we demand transparency concerning the quotas. If AZ doesn't comply we will push back against their conduct.

Watching too many of the wrong movies Jim? Seems they start rubbing off on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A lot is the eU's repsonsibility for sure. The order for AZ came ver yklate, and now they complain that the ymust go through the same production fixiation like the Uk had to some time ago. For the UK, this got meanwhile fixed, but the UK orderd earlkier -a nd as I red yesterday somewhere, they invested PLENTY of m ore money into the early orders than the EU did.

The EU wanted it perfectly, and they wnated it cheaply, and thes saaced a few hunbdred milliosn that way maybe - with every week of lockdown in Germany costing 3.5-4 billion. Well done. Thats what happens if adressing realiut yis beign left to planned econoym theorestiocists who think an economy and a production cycles workjs just by commanding how relaity should be, and then it is so with the snipping of a finger.

It is exactly the same kind of ,misplanning and theoreticising and reality-missing failure that von der Leyen has produced time and again in her time as minister in german in her last two ressort. Its exactly the same kind of misplanning. That cannot be a coincidence.

And I think they still have not learned anythign from it. Or they do not learn becasue then they woudl need to admit that before they had awfully failed.

Russia is faster. Israel anyway. The UK. China. Korea. America. Everybody does it better than the EU. One can hardly argue the EU way is a good way. Obviously it is not. Its a desaster, compared to the efficiency of the others. And still they have a big mouth.
@Skidman

I don't want to give the impression of appearing to be rude but I think the response above from Skybird covers matters adequately.

Old 01-27-21, 12:40 PM   #6083
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A further 1,725 people in the UK have died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 in the last 24 hours, the government's daily figures show. It comes a day after the UK death toll passed 100,000.

The government will set out a "roadmap" for reopening schools, the economy and society on 22 February, the PM says.

Boris Johnson also tells a Downing Street briefing that he hopes to reopen schools on 8 March.

Travellers to the UK from 22 countries will go into hotel quarantine, the government announces.

But Wales and Scotland say the quarantine plans don't go far enough.

At PMQs, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer asked why the UK has the highest number of deaths in Europe.

The EU urges AstraZeneca to supply it with more doses of its Covid vaccine from UK plants, amid a row over shortages.

French pharmaceutical company Sanofi announces it will mass produce a Covid vaccine developed by its rivals Pfizer and BioNtech.

Old 01-27-21, 12:42 PM   #6084
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-27-21, 12:44 PM   #6085
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The mayor of Russia’s capital has eased Covid restrictions on bars and office working, because he says Covid cases in Moscow are no higher than 2,000-3,000 a day. Sergei Sobyanin said bars and restaurants could reopen during the night and businesses would not have to keep 30% of workers at home.

But tighter restrictions have begun for Belgians, who are now banned from non-essential travel abroad for tourism or leisure until 1 March. Slovakia has imposed new restrictions preventing people from moving around if they cannot produce a negative PCR or antigen test. Children and over-65s are exempt.

Iceland has issued its first digital vaccination certificates to make it easier for people to travel. So far 4,800 people are eligible as they’ve had two doses - but the certificate isn’t recognised in Europe. Some EU countries like Greece want the EU to introduce them.

There’s been a quiet night in Dutch cities after three days of rioting triggered by a Covid curfew brought in at the weekend. Crowdfunding has raised more than €80,000 for a ransacked shop whose owner was reduced to tears by the damage.

As French leaders weigh up whether to move to a third lockdown, an opinion poll for BFMTV suggests 52% are opposed to such a change and 48% in favour. France already has a national 18:00 curfew and ex-interior minister Christophe Castaner worries a new lockdown could lead some people to civil disobedience.

Spain has reported its highest number of deaths since April with 591 deaths on Tuesday and a further 36,435 cases. The infection rate is at its highest so far in the pandemic with the worst incidence in Valencia on the east coast.

Old 01-27-21, 12:57 PM   #6086
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Man I hope you can get it before too long and the availability climbs rapidly.

My arm isn't as sore as the first shot but I'm still achy and have a headache. I haven't checked but I don't think I have a fever.

Not sure how California is doing it. But in Maryland there are 3 vaccination phases. We're currently in 1C with a few places already opening phase 2. Seems most only offer the Moderna vaccine. The federal government is currently distributing 10,000 doses a day but with a population of 1.5 million it might be awhile before they get to me. I'm in phase 3, can't wait.

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/dat...locations/data

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 05:43 PM   #6087
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

That is unfortunate, I hope you guys get the massed vaccination of all willing the way we have right now.

I am still waiting for my second Sputnik-V shot, scheduled on 10th.
Old 01-27-21, 06:01 PM   #6088
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Russia is faster. Israel anyway. The UK. China. Korea. America. Everybody does it better than the EU.
You didn't even bother looking at the charts, did you? Russia is slower, China is slower and Korea will start their campaign by the end of February.

Quote:
One can hardly argue the EU way is a good way. Obviously it is not. Its a desaster, compared to the efficiency of the others. And still they have a big mouth.
Obviously you are on a mission and facts don't matter to you. The EU was cheated on, still you blame them. No need to point out who has the biggest mouth here.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)

Last edited by skidman; 01-28-21 at 02:58 AM.
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 06:28 PM   #6089
Skybird
Soaring

The EU was cheated on. And I'm on a mission.

Okay. Lets disclose those treaties, there it should be to be red black on white. And my mission: is to observe what is to be seen, and not to replace it with fictional wish-lists for how things should be. The vaccination strategy of the EU is a complete desaster, a reality-distanced plannign failure, unrealistic, over-engineered in expectations of what can be done, based on a dramatic cut of funds for vaccination development in Europe over the past years, and a failure to build production facilities in time, like other have very well manmagged to acchieve, but the eU not. The EU got out of the startign block months too late, months later than others, and it still is stuck in it with one feet. And now they blame others for the EU's plans and decisions and negotiation strategies. Hilarious. I read Merkel was wondering recently about how thigns go and that there seem to be slowing obstacles. Well, but who is it who gioverns and who led thigns to where they are? A certain Merkel, maybe? A certain Super-Uschi, maybe? The EU planning strategy is a desaster, and I say that since weeks. These weeks saw confirmation after confirmation for my complaint mounting up.

Thats the same EU that plans a climate revolution as well. A Green Deal industry revolution. A social re-engineering of Europe. A money revolution All that, when watching how they handle the pandemic and how their accomplice, the ECB, usurps more and more powers, is a horrifying idea to think about when seeing it from how they already ruin their handling of the pandemic and the vaccination of the people.

They - Mutti and Super-Uschi - try to dodge their own responsibility in all this. I mean it not just AZ, the failures obviously go far beyond that.

On national level, not even the organisation of distributing vaccination slots/dates for elder people goes smooth in Germany, like the system with coupons for FFP masks was a bureaucratic drama as well. They are disconnected from reality, these super-planning masterminds, that simple it is. They have no realstic idea of how practical reality for people works. What practical life for people looks like. Or take the work of the RKI, the outdated methods, the failure to get digitalization done in time as planned for late last year. I just can laugh when I see what the RKI is doing and announcing, its sad and a pain and ridiculous and laughable all at the same time.

Saw a cartoon today, where somebody wondered why they were in such a hurry to get the Berlin airport finsihed. Priceless.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-27-21 at 06:38 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 06:45 PM   #6090
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

3.15 % of the Danish population has got their first vaccine.
Around 0.52 % has got their second and last vaccine.

Haven't got the numbers for Sweden

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan